No announcement yet.

Does my son have a valid point?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the way and the tone you ask your kids to do some thing for you is the key ,but there is a lot of parents that they think is an obligation for them to do so and i don't think that is wright. again my two cents

Comment

I agree that kids should do things around during the house. Before I ended up in my chair i was given chores by my parents, cutting grass, cleaning up, washing dishes, cooking. Even after I ended up in my chair I was still made to do chores the type of chores I did changed according to my ability. I am now 38 and I'm very thankful that I was made to do those chores I feel like I'm better prepared for the world. I have two cousins 7 and 9 and they are made to do chores and it's good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by evee View Post
        the way and the tone you ask your kids to do some thing for you is the key ,but there is a lot of parents that they think is an obligation for them to do so and i don't think that is wright. again my two cents
        My parents certainly believed that us doing things around the house was our obligation. We are part of the family so our obligation to the family was to pull our own weight and do chores, get our parents what they needed,etc. I do not feel this is out of line...and it helped me with my independence once I moved on to college.

My thought....my parents had jobs in our house and took us to everything we wanted and needed to go to...it was my job to do things they asked me to do.
        "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Its not really a healthy thing to do, ask people to get you things you can get yourself. Its a common trait in a Narcissistic family structure. So...while I was absolutely constantly getting my parents stuff like a trained golden retriever, and I didn't complain, I don't blame your son for catching on that it isn't right.
          - Moody

Comment

i have a great respect for motivation even when things don't turn out as planned however no points scored for laziness, and low effort.
            As a teacher i am trained to merit the obtained results not the effort, which is quite difficult
            sort of the same goes to raising my kid.
            Best is to gradually start out with a regime which is consistent, no one offs no compromise on issues you deem important.

Comment

Exactly Moody I'm the one in the chair and I get all kinds of greif from family and a few friends about asking them to get stuff for me when I'm in my chair or ask for help to do stuff that I can do on my own. I asked my brother to come and help me move a big bunch of catheter supplies a few weeks ago because I figured I might need some help moving stuff in the storage closet, when it turned out to be just throwing stuff in there he wasn't too amused.

Comment

There are a lot of things that I perhaps can do, but an AB can do so much faster and without expending nearly as much energy and time to accomplish. Like vacuuming the house I can and have done it multiple times, but it takes me 2hours while it only my wife or daughter around 15 minutes. Wait yes I think that kids should do simple stuff for their parents when asked. I say please and thank you when she does them, but my wife just tells her to do it most of the time. Either way she does what she is told sometimes...

Comment

Working...
                X