Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We're pregnant! Do I need heparin injections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're pregnant! Do I need heparin injections?

Hi All! The hubby and I just found out we are pregnant with our first baby. I'm a T7 para and my OB wants me on injections of heparin to avoid blood clots. I have never had any problems with blood clots before or after my injury and I have no family history of blood clots either.

How many of you were on preventative injections of heparin during your pregnancy? Does current research support twice daily injections of heparin as a preventative measure for SCI patients with no history of blood clots and no family history of blood clots?

I live in rural western Kansas and my OB is comfortable handling my pregnancy but does not deal with SCI patients on a regular basis. If preventative heparin shots are no longer supported by SCI doctors I would like to show him the research.

I hate needles and givings shots. Every time I inject myself my blood pressure spikes and I have differed pain across my side along with nausea. The nausea is not the same as any morning sickness I've had and I'm not sure the potential benefit from the heparin outweighs the problems it seems to cause.

Thanks for any advice,
    Kristi
    Last edited by 68cougar; 20 May 2011, 6:26 PM. Reason: I hit enter before I was done typing and editing. oops!
    T7 MVA 9/12/04

Life is just a collection of memories. - C.W. McCall Aurora Borealis

pooper!

Comment

Do you have a history of DVT? Generally we do not do this for women with SCI who are pregnant, although both pregnancy and SCI put you at risk. I would want to discuss with him the pros and cons of this related to possible excessive bleeding (either uterine or otherwise) during your pregnancy. You will need regular blood tests to be sure that the dosage is right and kept in the safe range. If bleeding should occur, it will need to be stopped and other medications used to reverse its effects.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

I wasn't on it for either of my pregnancies.
        Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Would a vein filter be a better option?
          L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! I had to edit the post because I posted it prematurely, so there is some additional information that may not have been read. Opps!
            T7 MVA 9/12/04

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
              Do you have a history of DVT? (KLD)
              KLD,
              No I do not have any history of DVT. Can you recommend any resouces that would be good for me to read up on the pros and cons of preventative heprin?
              Thanks for your help, Kristi
              T7 MVA 9/12/04

Comment

Congrats!
                My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Comment

OMGoodness! Congratulations!!!
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

try some TEDs while your preg. should help bloodflow without thinners maybe....oh, grats, make him healthy, wealthy and wise!

Comment

Congratulations Kristi I am so happy for you!
                      T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Thanks for all the congrats.
                        T7 MVA 9/12/04

Comment

I was on Lovenox shots for both of my pregnancies but I did have a history of DVT. CONGRATS on your pregnancy!!! There is nothing better in the world than a new baby!!! Enjoy!

Comment

Congrats

I was not on Heparin on neither of my pregnancies, everything was like normal and I always tell people to take care of the weight. I gained a lot the third time and the last months were terrible. 36 kilograms are a lot but I was so hungry and if I did not eat I was feeling sick. And on my job a woman was making the most delicious cinnamon breads...
                            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Best wishes!

Comment

Working...
                              X