• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome!!!

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome. Sorry your dad has been so ill. SCI is such a taker but never really a giver.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          This is something I worry about quite a bit. My daughter was 4 when I got injured and now is almost 6. I worry about the other kids making fun of her because I am in a wheelchair, worry that I can't teach her sports like I would have if I was AB (I did play with her on a T-ball setup this weekend and it went pretty well), worry about pretty much everything. Any advice for a para parent?
          T8 - Chad is a C4/5 but a "complete" (ASIA A) injury so he can only shoulder shrug and turn his head. My son ("medium boy") had just turned 3 when I met Chad, and he is now 10. Medium Boy, to my knowledge, hasn't been teased about Chad being in a wheelchair. Chad participates in his school functions and such, and having gone to the same school with the same classmates since kindergarten, all the other kids are totally used to Chad and barely give him a second glance now.

Chad worries alot about not being able to coach him in sports, but Medium Boy totally ignores his disability and regularly gets coached by Chad in football, soccer and basketball. Chad just verbally tells him what to do, or improvements and Medium Boy takes it 100% in stride. It has made Medium Boy a better listener and a better learner because he can't just mimic, he really has to *learn*. It was HILARIOUS watching Chad try to teach him to throw a football for the first time though .... "ummm, wellll, put your hand around the ball ... no, not that way, on the strings, no, your fingers not thumb, no the other way, now try to twist it ... no, WHILE you throw it, no ... ummmm" LMAO!

Medium Boy adapts to Chad much more easily than all the rest of us. He even wrote with a marker on the checkers pieces and the board so that Chad can say "move #4 to square 17". That was totally his idea and he just did it! They play legos together too, Chad just verbally tells him what to build and he does it for him.

I'm sure in the future that Medium Boy will catch some hell for having a stepdad who is disabled, and esp to the extent that he is. But for 7 years it's been a remarkably easy ride.
          Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
            This is something I worry about quite a bit. My daughter was 4 when I got injured and now is almost 6. I worry about the other kids making fun of her because I am in a wheelchair, worry that I can't teach her sports like I would have if I was AB (I did play with her on a T-ball setup this weekend and it went pretty well), worry about pretty much everything. Any advice for a para parent?
            T8, just read a newspaper piece regarding a soldier SCI injured (non combat) who has two boys ages 6 and 8 years. He acknowledges he cannnot do athletics with them, but has concentrated on their academics. Both boys are straight A students, and play sports as well.
            You C.A.N.
            Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Welcome

Ken, welcome to our tribe. CC offers much informaion and empathy blended with some spirited debates and entertainment.
              You C.A.N.
              Conquer Adversity Now

Comment

Working...
              X