Death Premonition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death Premonition?

I can't shake this feeling that I'm going to die in my late 30s or early 40s. I don't know if this is a common feeling for people who are sort of more aware of how fragile life is than the average person, or if this is a common feeling among moms of young children, or if this is a true premonition.

That SCI premonition thread has me a little freaked out. I don't have an SCI premonition myself, or at least not that I can remember, but I was only 8. However, I know that before the accident, the mom of the two girls who died in the accident used to tell my mom that if her daughters ever died when they were children, she would become a nun. I think that's an odd thing to think. I think she must have had a premonition.

I guess I'm just wondering if others can relate? I really hope that I worry needlessly and that this is not a premonition. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Alive for 33 years
    T4/5 complete for 25 years
    Mom for 6 years

I think it is a common feeling for mothers with small children. Espesially if they are living alone with the children and worry what is going to happen with the children if they die.

I think you worry needlessly [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by woman from Europe:

I think it is a common feeling for mothers with small children. Espesially if they are living alone with the children and worry what is going to happen with the children if they die.

I think you worry needlessly [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
      I hope you are right. I know some of my friends who are moms say they worry about dying, but I don't think they really think they are going to die. They're all married though.

Alive for 33 years
      Mom for 6 years

Comment

I remember my mother saying to me when I got children that she always been worried that she was going to die before I was an adult and now she had to worry that she was going to die before the grandchildren were adults.

And she is still married to my father [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

My youngest is seven years old so I know the feeling well. But now I am thinking sometimes that if I die, my older children can take care of him and it makes me feel better.
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

i don't have kids, but i can still relate on some level.
          the fact of the matter is, you are going to die....some day.
          the only way i have found to feel like i have some kind of control of an uncontrolable situation is to be prepared ahead of time.
          do you have a will?
          who gets what when you die?
          do you have a durable power of attorney?
          have you discussed, and written down, your wishes about your end-of-life?
          not just your death, but what happens to you if you're in a coma, or cognitively impaired?
          no one likes to think about these things, but it's important, and it will ease the pain of your loved ones after you die if these things are taken care of by you now.

edited to add:
          Oh, and make sure you have a living will in his file on you and explain what the terms you have checked mean to you. Make sure he has the numbers of any relatives that will agree with what you have written and any donor organ wishes you have. If someone has a medical power of attorney for you, make sure doc has that number too.

[This message was edited by Nancie on 03-04-04 at 06:31 PM.]

Comment

Nancie, I don't have my act together in many areas of my life [img]/forum/images/smilies/redface.gif[/img], but as far as my will and all that goes, I've got that all taken care of... Still, I worry so much that I will die before my daughter is grown.

WFE, I can imagine it helps a lot to know that your three children would be there for each other. I wish my daughter had a sibling or two. Even a close cousin would be nice.

Ah, I gotta stop worrying so much. Thank you for the responses.

Alive for 33 years
            Mom for 6 years

Comment

Oh, I'm also a bit superstitious and now that I've put this out there, it won't happen! Right?

Alive for 33 years
              Mom for 6 years

Comment

When I was around nine years old, I recall my parents taking separate jets to the same location.
                I think that there was a movie about a man who wanted to blow up the plane in order to collect the insurance for his family. This movie may have influenced their decision.

PN
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                ––Paul Nussbaum
                usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

You can still have one more. You are only 33. I had my last on close to 42 [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
                  TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

PN, that sounds like something I would do!

WFE, I'd love to adopt a kid someday. I don't want to do it alone though and I'm not sure I'll ever have a partner to do it with.

Alive for 33 years
                    Mom for 6 years

Comment

Paul, I know of several couples who make it a habit to fly separately. It reminds me of some friends of my family's. They owned their own plane, and the parents were flying somewhere together without the children. The plane went down leaving two orphans. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Your parents were wise ...

Comment

Sorry to highjack this thread but, I did not have an SCI or a death premonition. I have always had this feeling that it was going to be difficult or imposible for me to carry a baby. Up until the SCI I have been perfectly healthy with nothing pointing towards problems or inability to carry.I am only 21 and don't plan on kids anytime soon. But, I do plan on it. And with the SCI in the picture, it is a high risk.

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
                        Franklin D. Roosevelt
                        "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
                        - Alan Kay

Comment

Shannon~

I was always afraid of dying while I was pregnant with Bri; I was sure something would happen before she arrived safely.

Maybe it's just a mom thing. [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]
                          "God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a fierce passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so."
                          ~Geraldine Brooks, "Year of Wonders"

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
                          ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Shannon, I know what you're talking about. When I was in my early 30s, I had a definite moment when I felt like I was being "prepared" or forewarned that I would die of unnatural causes at age 57. I'm 43 now, so I guess I'll know in about 14 years. It's not something I ever think about, but your topic reminded me.

Comment

Shannon.

With a SCI it is easier to make one than to adopt one. At least here, it nearly impossible to adopt if you have a dissability. [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]
                              TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Working...
                              X