Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are dependents covered by medicare?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Are dependents covered by medicare?

    I know that I was automatically enrolled in Medicare after being on SSDI (which is good, I'll never be able to afford my own insurance again)...

    Is my daughter covered as well? I can't find any documentation saying one way or the other. She is getting SSDI benefits based on my income.

    Thanks,
    -- Bondo
    Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

    #2
    No, but if you fall within certain income quidelines for your state she may qualify for medicaid or some other state funded health care for children. I would start looking online for what OR offers for children from low income families if you qualify.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ginamarie View Post
      No, but if you fall within certain income quidelines for your state she may qualify for medicaid or some other state funded health care for children. I would start looking online for what OR offers for children from low income families if you qualify.
      If she is also collecting SSDI, after two years doesn't that mean she qualifies for Medicare? Just curious...
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

      Thanks!

      Comment


        #4
        No, because she is only collecting as a dependent of a disabled parent. Medicare is only for permanently disabled, age 65 and older, dialysis patients or kidney disease (something like that) and I think that is all.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by ginamarie View Post
          No, because she is only collecting as a dependent of a disabled parent. Medicare is only for permanently disabled, age 65 and older, dialysis patients or kidney disease (something like that) and I think that is all.
          thanks ginamarie
          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

          Thanks!

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Bondo View Post
            She is getting SSDI benefits based on my income.
            SSDI eligibility is not income based, it's work based. She is receiving it because she is your dependent and entitled to your benefits. SSDI eligibility for those disabled during their working years depends on the work credits you have built up during a certain period of time (can't remember that #). If you are eligible for SSDI, then Medicare will kick in after 2(?) years. The bottom-line is NO. Hopefully you can find a program in your state/area that will cover her health.
            ____________________

            "We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
            - Barack Obama

            Comment


              #7
              just to clarify, i think bondo meant based on his ssdi check amount. my son gets a check for half my ssdi check amount. and my ssdi check amount is based on my wages/work credits. i believe if i had earned less money (thus paying less into the ss system), my ssdi check would be much less. so my son's check is related to my income while working.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cass View Post
                just to clarify, i think bondo meant based on his ssdi check amount. my son gets a check for half my ssdi check amount. and my ssdi check amount is based on my wages/work credits. i believe if i had earned less money (thus paying less into the ss system), my ssdi check would be much less. so my son's check is related to my income while working.
                You are correct! The more you earned, the bigger your SSDI check up to a maximum.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thank you for the answer. I got the feeling this was the case, but I couldn't find anywhere that came out and specifically stated it.

                  -- Bondo
                  Don't anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    In Oregon, if you are making $1650 or less as a single parent, or$2224 or less as a couple, your child would qualify for the CHP program and receive medical insurance (Oregon Health Plan) based on your income. You need to contact your local Self-Sufficiency Program office. What part of Portland are you in? I can give you the telephone number... I work for Seniors and People with Disabilities in North Bend-small world, isn't it?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I was working for Am Exp and had a family plan with United Healthcare when I became unable to work with sci.After being approved by Social Security my daughter received 1/2 that benefit until she was 18.Medicare became my primary and United Healthcare my secondary.United Health covered my daughter until she finished college at age 22.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X