PT and Protein to build MUSCLE - Need help with protein part

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PT and Protein to build MUSCLE - Need help with protein part

I'm not positive that I should put this here, but it does have to do with exercise, too. If it needs to be moved, I understand!

I am currently in physical therapy at the Center for Spinal Cord Injury Recovery at RIM Detroit, doing 3 hours of pt a day, 3 days a week. My metabolism seems to be pretty high and I drop weight very easily - without even trying. I've lost about 25 lbs in the last year and now am 1 lb below my goal weight. Now I need to build MUSCLE!

I know that I need protein to build muscle and that includes cheese, eggs, peanut butter, and chicken. What else? Is there a particular time that I really should be eating protein to increase the effects? Before therapy, after therapy, does it matter?

What can I do to prevent losing more weight? I'm really not a big eater and usually only eat once a day and it's not because I'm dieting. I've just always eaten once a day for probably the last 10 yrs or so. I've dropped 5 lbs just in the last month from starting therapy. I really don't need to lose wmore weight - just build muscle!

We are concentrating on my core in therapy this session. It's the weakest part of my body now and I'd really like to get rid of my quad belly. Even though I can walk, I'm still stuck with one! We are doing lots of bridges, crunches, back extensions, etc. My abs finally got sore for the very first time this week! I'm very excited about that! And I am finally feeling my abs working during every day activity! That is such a GOOD feeling!

I'd really appreciate any advice you can offer. I've never really had to watch my weight or pay attention to my diet, so I don't even know where to start!

Thanks!
    Tina
    C5-C7 Walking Quad - Very Incomplete
    Aug '03

u will never get enough protein from food to make gains.

take a mrp[meal replacement] in the morning , a protein shake pre workout and post workout. rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pd of body weight. when bb's r bulking they will take in upwards of 3 grams per pound.
    below is what i take.
    i double this serving
    http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_on016.htm
    mrp
    http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_san55.htm
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Be careful w/that mrp:

INFUSION is packed with EFA's (essential fatty acids), including Flax seed oil and CLA! Critical in maintaining maximum testosterone levels. EFA's also produce good prostaglandin's, which can improve the actions of insulin, decrease muscle breakdown, increase growth hormone secretion and optimize growth hormone production. Additionally, EFA's promote healthy cholesterol levels, stimulate tissue repair, combat cortisol and increase the use of fat for energy.

Comment

Thanks for replying fuentejps an mimin!

Ok, so according to that page, one serving has 24g of protein. You said 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight. I weigh 119 lbs, so I would need to drink 5 of those PER DAY???? Oh man, I don't know where I would put it all. If I drank 5 of those every day, I wouldn't be eating any meals! Is that safe? Like I said, I usually only eat once a day, although I have been eating a little more since starting therapy.

I'm thinking that I'll go with the shake, but skip the mrp. Funds here are limited and I don't want TOO much muscle - just to get back what I've lost over the last 4 years and tighten things up.

Thanks again!
        Tina
        Aug '03

Comment

when bb's r bulking they will take in upwards of 3 grams per pound.
          What are bb's?
          "We're one but we're not the same. We get to carry each other" U2

Comment

I'm assuming body builders
            Tina
            Aug '03

Comment

Tina, many, many people/athletes make muscle gains without taking protein supplements. For thousands of years, humans have put on muscle bulk doing their work as well as training for athletic events, without protein supplements/shakes. If you do decide to go the supplement/shake route, be careful because you can put on FAT if you're not working out the muscles you have enough to convert the extra protein into muscle. This fat can and will make your quad gut bigger. Also, you might try an abdominal binder to help prevent the quad gut from stretching out/growing, in addition to your exercise routine.

Eat more lean meats, talk to a nutritionist and/or personal trainer as well as your physical therapists. Don't be too quick to buy into the hype of protein shakes. If you want to be a bodybuilder, that's different... but remember you do not have all the muscles working as an AB...
              Last edited by Scorpion; 15 Mar 2008, 7:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TINAMARIE
                I'm assuming body builders
                Yes you are correct.http://www.wheelchair-bodybuilding.com/
                Be yourself!!!
                http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                Sponsored Athlete
                http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                www.genegvd.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion
                  Tina, many, many people/athletes make muscle gains without taking protein supplements. For thousands of years, humans have put on muscle bulk doing their work as well as training for athletic events, without protein supplements/shakes. If you do decide to go the supplement/shake route, be careful because you can put on FAT if you're not working out the muscles you have enough to convert the extra protein into muscle.

Eat more lean meats, talk to a nutritionist and/or personal trainer as well as your physical therapists. Don't be too quick to buy into the hype of protein shakes. If you want to be a bodybuilder, that's different... but remember you do not have all the muscles working as an AB...
                  You'r right about not working the muscle enough.Thus quad guts.
                  Be yourself!!!
                  http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
                  BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
                  Sponsored Athlete
                  http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
                  www.genegvd.com

Comment

Good point, Scorpion. Thanks. And I believe all of my muscles DO work now, they are just extremely weak. I was worried that my abs weren't but they finally kicked in at therapy last week!

I am in therapy for the next 2 months with the possibility of extending it another 2 months if I think I'm really getting somewhere. (I'm on short term dis from work right now and don't REALLY want to take even more time off but am open to the possibility if I'm close to reaching one of the goals I've set for myself)

But once I go back to work I won't have the time or energy to work out as steadily as I am in PT. I'm motivated to do home exercises after this PT session, because I did 2 months of therapy last year and have lost almost all of what I had gained, but it obviously won't be 3 hours a day 3 days a week!

I guess I am trying to cheat a little bit and do it as fast as I can. But then another thought is, if I'm not working out as hard after PT will that muscle I gain turn into fat? hmmmmmm
                    Last edited by TINAMARIE; 15 Mar 2008, 7:40 PM.
                    Tina
                    Aug '03

Comment

Dito fuentejps. I mix the Vanilla Ice cream protein and Psyllium Husk fiber with hot chocolate.
                      I have rebuilt a significant amount of lost muscle.
                      C 5/6 Comp.
                      No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Comment

Headache sufferers who are sensitive to MSG -- a major and often overlooked source of severe headaches -- should note that meal replacement products are loaded with it. MSG is listed under many different names so you need to do your homework.
                        stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

This is crazy, but my ex and his girlfriend are coming up to see the kids next week and his gf swears by proteins shakes. I guess she used to be a personal trainer or something. While they are here, her and I are going to the store so she can show me what kind to get, then she is going to fix a few different kinds for me (with fruit, orange juice, etc) to see what I like and what all I can do with it! She's even bringing her blender up with her since I don't have one. lol

I've never met this girl, but I think I'm going to really like her. The big question is, what the heck is she doing with a loser like him. lol
                          Tina
                          Aug '03

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212
                            Headache sufferers who are sensitive to MSG -- a major and often overlooked source of severe headaches -- should note that meal replacement products are loaded with it. MSG is listed under many different names so you need to do your homework.

My son is on a migraine diet right now, actually for stomachaches - I guess in young children migraines can come across as stomachaches in young children. It is working! I've been watching for msg, but didn't know there were other names for it. I guess I better do my homework. But that means it will probably cut down on ever more things that he can eat! I'm having a hard time already! EVERYTHING has MSG! grrrrr

from that article "Those MSG-laden foods can be found when you see any labeled ingredient with the word "glutamate." " and I thought it would be ok if it said disodium glutamate. ::sigh::

Thanks, Stephen
                            Tina
                            Aug '03

Comment

Originally posted by forestranger52
                              Dito fuentejps. I mix the Vanilla Ice cream protein and Psyllium Husk fiber with hot chocolate.
                              I have rebuilt a significant amount of lost muscle.
                              How long has it taken you to regain it? How long post before you started taking protein?
                              Tina
                              Aug '03

Comment

Working...
                              X