Get off my back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get off my back!

I just have to share this story (My wife and kids are so sick of me saying the same thing everyday! " I feel something new!").

Anyway, I mowed 2 and a half yards yesterday because my mower has a fabulous bag attachment for leaves (thanks to the father-in-law). After a quick soak in the hot tub before dinner I rolled into the bathroom and felt something on my back! I yanked the towel off and kind of expected a leaf dangling or something. Nothing came off, so I rolled in front of the mirror. Nothing to see, but wait! Holy crap, back muscles were moving! After so long not feeling anything, to watch both strips flexing was unbelievable! It felt like a had muscles bolted on and I was moving them.

I have probably been flexing these backstrap muscles for some time, but I just couldn't feel anything. Now, 4 and a half years later...bang more feeling!

I know bolt-on usually means something else. Pat

something new

ROCK ON
    PLEASE KEEP DOING SOMTHING NEW
    Its been 17 years since my injury.
    Believe me there can always be something new.

Comment

Congratulations,hope it continues!

Comment

Never Give up! Keep Pressing On!!

Thats AWESOME!!!

http://www.pressingontx.com

Pressing On-
        A Spinal COrd Injury Research & Recovery Center

Comment

Sounds like your core is coming along, gotta have that for when you start stepping. I have started Pilates, you should look into it. It has done wonders for me in terms of strengthening my core muscles and relearning how to use them.

Comment

alpentalic, I agree, pilates is something every AB should do too!!

Yeah, my core has been evolving for months now and spastic tone is yielding to voluntary muscle through bouts of burning support! I find pounding these spastic muscles with excercise makes change. Change has proven to be good although it stings for the rest of the day! Ibuprofen takes the edge off, though.

It's funny to realize now that I can put a shirt on over my head without having to catch my balance. For so many years that was a beeeeotch. Pat

Comment

Originally posted by patd
              Yeah, my core has been evolving for months now and spastic tone is yielding to voluntary muscle through bouts of burning support! I find pounding these spastic muscles with excercise makes change.
              Originally posted by patd

It's funny to realize now that I can put a shirt on over my head without having to catch my balance. For so many years that was a beeeeotch. Pat
              I'm with you Pat, that's how it's been for me the last few months. Slowly transitioning from tone to voluntary support in trunk.
              Been swimming a lot which has really strengthend my back and shoulders.
              Jeff
              Doh!

Comment

That's great Jeff. Please keep us posted.

I haven't been swimming as much since the summer, but I ride a staionary bike at work that requires me to sit up on it. Every other day I use the elliptical and take trips across the floor. Actually I made up a new excercise by watching my son in the garage.

He likes to broadjump down the ramp connecting the kitchen door with the garage. So, I put both feet together and instead of putting all my weight on one foot and stepping with the other, I tried to push off both feet and hop forward. Well, I'm at a stage where I visualize more than actually moving, but boy did it bring out feelings in my legs and hips/butt!

I found that most of the movements I've been doing are slower strength moves. This broadjump is a very quick movement. After trying a few, I went back to walking steps and I was amazed at the increase in sensations in my lower body.

So, I've tried to mix in a little quick movements in my workouts and it wakes up more than what I'm used to.

Pat

Comment

Some more great news from you,Pat!!! I always enjoy reading your posts on what you are up to. Keepat it!!!!!

Comment

I read somewhere here about vibrating plates (a new piece of SCI workout equipment) that SCI'd people stand on or are harnessed from above to as they bear as much weight as possible on their legs etc. I believe it's been proven to increase bone density and strength and perhaps it's also waking up dormant nerves or creating new pathways.

Maybe the vibration and the jolting of the mower is doing the same thing for your back. Hey, anytime you want another lawn to mow I'll PM you my address!

You're getting there Pat.

Bob.
                    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Originally posted by bob clark
                      I read somewhere here about vibrating plates (a new piece of SCI workout equipment) that SCI'd people stand on or are harnessed from above to as they bear as much weight as possible on their legs etc. I believe it's been proven to increase bone density and strength and perhaps it's also waking up dormant nerves or creating new pathways.

Maybe the vibration and the jolting of the mower is doing the same thing for your back. Hey, anytime you want another lawn to mow I'll PM you my address!

You're getting there Pat.

Bob.
                      Bob,
                      Send him to my yard after yours....M

GREAT NEWS PAT!!!
                      1FineSpineRN

Comment

New SCI exerise equipment

Where do you find these vibrating plates?

Comment

Originally posted by Fayeboo
                          Where do you find these vibrating plates?
                          Hi Fayeboo,

I don't think they're for home use because they're so expensive. It's called "Whole Body Vibration" or WBV for short. I believe only a few SCI rehab centers have them. Here's a thread that describes them:

/forum/showthread.php?t=89782

If you do a Search using the word "vibrating" you should find other threads that discuss their use.

Bob.
                          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Working...
                          X