Stomach muscles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stomach muscles?

I have a C-5 complete injury. I noticed that I can voluntarily move my stomach, even while holding my breath. How is that possible?

you're probably just moving your diaphram (the same muscle you use to breathe with). i can do it, too, and i'm almost the same level as you, i'm c5/6 complete. it's just pushing down on your GI tract and moving that stuff around while pulling on your lungs.
    "If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
    ...Mark Twain

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    ...Winston Churchill

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
    ...George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Don't be so sure, though, that it is not the sign of something passying trhu the injury. ASIA classification is just that, a standard classification, and difference bettween complete or incomplete is just sacral movement and sensation. Nonetheless, very rarely injuries are complete (just firearms or knifes injuries), and there is alwys a certain amount of axons left for connections. My son was diagnosed C7/C8 complete, and he is making full pull ups! So keep trying and do not resignate, and remeber that stomach muscles are innerved from very near to psoas muscles; and if you have or can recuperate them, you have some hope of walking. I'm not trying to illude you: but being pessimistic, like too many on this forum, what will bring you? At least by trying and exercising you keep your body in shape, and that's already a good result.
      Good luck.

Comment

I was just hanging out a friend with a C/4 complete that has regained both triceps, slight grip and upper stomach muscles. It can happen.

Comment

thanx all, i'll keep on practicing and see how it goes

Comment

I started getting stomach muscles back after three years. It's hard to tell though if you're flexing muscles or if it's just your breathing.

Comment

i was able to move my stomach in this same manner from the day i got home, always wonderd whats up, and ive done it off and on for 8 years, if i did it regular it could develeope?

intresting
              JEFFREYSWENSON.COM - MYBLOG

Comment

I've seen

similar level C5/6 complete do situps holding dumbells in each hand. got to be some stomach muscles in there. Although looking at my gut you wouldn't think so and I'm t-12. I need to start working out again.

Comment

Originally posted by mimin
                  thanx all, i'll keep on practicing and see how it goes

sounds good, never believe in the I can't.
                  Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Comment

experiment with sit ups

one day i just tried to sit up but i failed to get up far but i just kept trying. after a month of monitoring how far i could get up i can almost sit all the way up.i also got bored and put e-stim on my abs, i don't know if it helped but yea i did it

Comment

I think its promising, keep at it, don't let a classification keep you from trying.
                      Injured:10-16-04
                      C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                      Blog:
                      http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                      Facebook:
                      http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                      Progress:
                      http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                      My drawings:
                      http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment