Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know if the Lokomat is available in the UK? Preferably London.

Comment

5 Sessions in; only 7 left

I'm a C4 Asia C (because of toe movement on both feet). I'm 5 sessions in and my therapist says I only get 12 to "show improvement". So far, nothing has changed.

Any advice...no matter how crazy.

Thx.
      <insert your own funny and witty words here>

Greg

Comment

Hi gbusinelle,

The Locomat in my opinion will not give you incredible improvement in only a few sessions (especially in the ASIA A and B). At my rehab center we have noticed some dramatic improvement in strength in our incomplete ASIA C SCI patients using the locomat with augmented feedback 3-4 x week after around 3-4 weeks. My current patients are ongoing so I can not tell you if the improvements in strength will remain if they stop therapy. IMHO, the locomat needs to be incorporated with good physical therapy and a home exercise program to be most beneficial. We also like to alternate lokomat days with the giger md device. While the giger md device is also very expensive we have found it to be most beneficial in conditioning and improving range of motion. I am in the process of building a more affordable version using standard bicycle parts. I will make the details of how we built it shortly after it is tested.
        Best of luck with everything,
        Brad Marcus
        www.MRKLab.com

Comment

UPDATE - Broken 5th metatarsal

After maxing out speed and time by my 3rd session, my right foot twisted in my 9th session resulting in a fractured 5th metatarsal. I'm in a boot for 12 weeks. I haven't decided if I'll walk on the Lokomat again.

I ride a FES bike 3 times a week and stand daily but still have osteoporosis.
          <insert your own funny and witty words here>

Greg

Comment

gbusinelle... That should be reported to hocoma (the lokomat company) as it is an FDA approved device. Was it strap failure? How fast were you going? Were you over 50 percent weight bearing? Metatarsal fractures can happen from taking a heavy pounding walking "too much". Although you are an ASIA C, it sounds like you have no functional movement in your legs. Did a physiatrist or a neurologist do your ASIA exam?? You were probably better off from the getgo if your goal was cardiovascular and bone health to stick with a cheaper and quicker option (FES bike) or with other intermittent weightbearing or resistance exercises (even if passive) that you could do on an ongoing basis.
            The lokomat is an amazing machine for the right indications and time frame. I have one and am speaking from experience. It is definetly not useful for everyone with an SCI.
            I am disturbed when I see maxing out speed and time by the third session. What were the criteria for this and how fast and far were you going??
            Best of luck with the recovery.
            Bradley Marcus

Comment

Hello to everybody,

Could anyone tell me where can I find a pediatric Lokomat in USA, please? Thank you!

Comment

Any specific area? The US is pretty big.
                "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Arizona lokomat locations

Do you know of any pediatric Lokomat locations in Arizona? Specifically Tucson if there are any. Thanks.

Comment

Lokomat/Pediatric Lokomat

The university of oklahoma health sciences center offers both pediatric and adult lokomat services.

Comment

Hi guys,

just wondering what injury level and minimum existing functional ability is required for the Lokomat to be effective? Im a T12 ASIA C but my muscle strength is very weak meaning I can only take about 30 slow steps with a walker and AFOs.

Cheers
                      Fly Pelican Fly

Comment

Fly, I used the locomat for about 6 weeks at 2x/week. I was strapped up so tight that I developed brush burns on my legs. The exercise was nice , but I was limited by my kick forward. It was nice to be on a treadmill again and move at a normal pace. I'm an incomplete and don't have the stength or dexterity to go beyond that.

Comment

To "keeping on" , The locomat for 2x week is enough to help with flexibility but likely (in my experience) is not enough to make any functional gains (especially if it is the locomat basic model and not the locomat PRO).
                          The brush burns can be avoided by wearing cotton pants, proper padding, and making sure the cuffs fit appropriately. NEVER WEAR Jeans. Depending on the level of the injury I would not say you "can not go beyond that"--even without a locomat people can make great gains in their overall health.

Comment

greg, i think the "therapists" are not adequately trained! after bleeding legs due to incorrect placement of padding we are also reticent regarding continued Locomat use. OR at least not without a vigilant advocate to monitor the "therapist" and the session

Comment

@Jehanne, you should report that to Hocoma directly. We have never had any skin issues. Then again, we are teacher certified to use the machine, always have someone within 2 feet of the machine, and use sheepskin for padding. We are in San Diego with both pediatric and adult legs and augmented feedback. PM me if you want more info...

Comment

Not sure if it's been written, but there is one at the VA Hospital in Palo Alto, CA. For veterans as far as I know.
                                Search and Find Your Answers.

Comment

Working...
                                X