This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

locomat

Yes I used the one in Willow Spings, I am a L1 burst fracture and I believe it helped me alot. I use the chair mostly but am walking with leg braces and walker for about 165 feet or so. The locomat basically is a robotic machine that allows you to walk like before. They control the machine to allow you the help you need and then start lowering the help so you are doing the movement. I paid I believe 185 for first hr and then 150 for the next. I would also do a exercise bike while I was there as well. I recommend it if you have the oppurtunity.
    What ever doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Comment

john mostyn

Originally posted by darlagee22 View Post
      I have an appointment for eval. and to begin the steps to get my insurance to approve some training time on the locomat in Portland, OR. I expect to get some time and will post about my experience if it works out. I am also t-12 (with some return and no spasms).
      hi my name is john iam a t11-t12 complete spinal cord injury but can move my left big teo and the other toes could you tell me what you can move iknow every injury is diffrent i am also considering having stem cells could you give me your views on this to thank you

Comment

Originally posted by john mostyn View Post
        hi my name is john iam a t11-t12 complete spinal cord injury but can move my left big teo and the other toes could you tell me what you can move iknow every injury is diffrent i am also considering having stem cells could you give me your views on this to thank you
        John,

I actually have gotten much return in my legs as I have exercised and worked hard for over a year with coaching of trainers at "Adapt Advanced" (which used to be a "Project Walk" facility). I can use adductors, some quads, abductors and a little glutes and hamstring. Nothing below my knees and no bowel or bladder. I have spotty sensation of light touch and pain/temperature.

I got some benefit from Lokomat, but where we are, the PTs don't have a lot of experience in spinal cord injury patients and I got frustrated with all the time/work it took to get there, change clothes and get set up for it. Basically it was over 4 hrs. of my day, lots of gas $ and only 30 mins on the machine. I may go back after a while, but I get much more out of my 2 hr workout at Adapt. Its worth the half day. If you can put the energy into it, it is good. Make sure they/you watch for pressure damage on your skin. The straps they use on their harness and the shin straps were painful and threatening to my skin.

Where do they have the machine you would go to?

As for stem cells, I am waiting, as was the last recommendation of Dr. Wise that I read (although its been a while...) until there is more evidence of success and seeing that there's not something painful or unhealthy that grows??? I'm not super informed to tell you the truth!

Good luck
        http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
        my website & blog

Comment

lokomat useless for walking quads

recovery from sci can advance for about 2-3 years and thats about it. there are minor function return over the following years Trust me I am awalking quad post 17 years. Hard work is one thing, but if the connection to the muscle is not there you can exercise till the cows come home and it won't matter

lokomat is for some but it is not a cure. As a walking quad the drs at R.I.C here in Chicago say i am way too advanced to use this system. It is a great exercise device, but it will not restore function. it will strenghten the muscles you already have that's it. walking in water or a treadmill(if you can) is a much cheaper if not better alternative!
          Last edited by znop; 31 Oct 2008, 2:34 PM.

Comment

I am in Seattle, have been using the Lokomat at Pushing Boundaries in Redmond since 12/26. I have mixed feelings about its benefits compared to other exercise and PT. I am curious about your opinion of Adapt.

Comment

Pushing Boundaries is Redmond WA now has a Lokomat up, running, and open to the public.

Comment

There is now also a Lokomat in Vancouver, BC (close to Seattle also) run by NeuroMotion Physio. (604) 833 7063. My brother just started using the Lokomat there.

Comment

That's awesome! Do you mind me asking what happened to your brother?

Comment

mysterious virus

About 4 years ago he fell into a state of status epilepticus - cause is still unknown to this day but it is some sort of mysterious virus. It hit him like a violent storm and left alot of damage. It was put into a medically induced coma for almost 3 months and finally the doctors gave and said they would have to take him out of the coma and he would a) continue to have seizures and die or b) live in a vegetative state. Anyway, after much prayer and tears, he was not either. He does have severe disabilities - one being he can't walk because of the brain injury - but he can do alot of things that they said he never would be able to do. He still has a long way to go, including starting the lokomat therapy this year, but we will not give up until we are satisified he has done the best he can to rehabilitate. Never give up.

Ksl

Comment

I have found a new list of facilities equipped with a Lokomat and have changed the link in the first post. If you work for, or have attended a facility not listed, please post the location and a link when possible.
                      "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

There is at least two in Norway, too. In the SCI hospital and in one rehab outside Oslo
                        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

New Lokomat Pro located in south Florida

NEUROXCEL Corporation is a research and development company committed to improving the lives of individuals with a spinal cord injury (SCI) or other neurological disorders. NEUROXCEL provides its clients the opportunity to recover their greatest possible degree of recovery and personal independence by providing cutting-edge technologies, gait strengthening equipment and one of the most comprehensive activity-based strength training programs available.

We just got our new Lokomat Pro in last month. We are the first facility located in south Florida that features the Lokomat Pro that is available for training sessions to individuals with spinal cord injury.

Please view our web site below:

http://www.neuroxcel.com/Lokomat-Pro.php
                          Neuroxcel: "Removing limits one step at a time"

Comment

dr Wise, SCI-Nurse, anyone, ... knows/have a research paper about the benefits of Lokomat or FES bike in SCI?

I'll be very interested to read about those machines, especially in SCI cases.

many thx
                            This signature left intentionally blank.

Comment

Originally posted by cypresss View Post
                              dr Wise, SCI-Nurse, anyone, ... knows/have a research paper about the benefits of Lokomat or FES bike in SCI?

I'll be very interested to read about those machines, especially in SCI cases.

many thx
                              Not many scientifically studies as for the Locomat there is, but some are studying which will prove either, in a post-rehab setting study. Papers later.

Comment

I am located in San Diego and I have a Locomat Pro with Biofeedback module and PEDIATRIC module.

Given the current data on weight supported ambulation I do not believe that any device should be marketed as a "cure" for paralysis. There are many benefits to weight supported ambulatory training devices (decrease in osteoporosis, improved circulation, feelings of well-being...). In my opinion, robots and machines are assitive machines to an overall therapy plan and should not be relied upon in isolation. I have been impressed with latest studies for the locomat Pro in Cerebral Palsy, M.S. and Stroke. I also feel their is great promise for parkinsons as well. In regards for SCI, I feel that the locomat PRO model is superior to the Locomat BASIC model or Manual Assistance as this device has the ability to vary assistance with each stride effort with active biofeedback. Again, this is my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X