No announcement yet.

Ness L300: FES walking aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I called St. Charles close by, they will evaluate me, than I need to get a script, and it sounds good so far. Everyone I talked to on the phone seems to know about this device. So I'm pretty happy it should be a good decision, I've been waiting for over a year, now it seems like it will come together. Insurance seems to cover a part of it, as will medicare. I hope it works as good as in the DVD they sent me.

Comment

Mike C,

Yup you're right, St. Charles doesn't have the 300, they have the 200, I thought I was quite clear when I spoke with them. Okay, so plan 2, NYC, not bad, take the train, transfer onto the subway, one more transfer, 3 blocks, and I'll be at New York Presbyterian,. Well it will be good excersise, 3 years ago I would have never thought I'd ever ride the rails again. Just the thought has my spirits up, and maybe my chances of walking out, on my own.

Bad part, I already have a full day planned. My father just left and said to his worker, " has metro card, and will travel again,,,,He'll crawl out of any hole in the ground." Well he's right, I've gotten this far, and there's still more of me to travel. let's see how this works.

Comment

hehe my name is karolina, today i stumbled across this amazing device L300 and further googling led me here.. i can't describe the unbelievable feeling that i had just imagining that i'd maybe be able to walk normally without an afo. tear tear. after 9+ years...superb feeling...

alhavel, I too live in NY - I'll be waiting for your reply and recommendations. and will definately soon travel to the big city!!

to everyone here you are all an inspiration!!! vbmenu_register("postmenu_641570", true); vbmenu_register("postmenu_641570", true);
        *2-19-98*

Comment

Hi Karolina,

Glad to have you on board by CareCure. If you make the trip yourself, perhaps you can post your experiences here. You live in Queens I see. Are you involved in any PT or rehab program in or around the Queens area?

Alhavel,

So did you go yet? Wassup?
          "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

not in pt any more for the spinal injury- my no fault ran out a few years back.. ive been back and forth to pt whenever my medicaid was present, but i felt nothing was happenting with my drop foot leg. no progress. im back in pt, but only because i was hit by a car again! while crossing the street. i will deff go. i guess ill call first
            *2-19-98*

Comment

I have an apt. for May 10th @ 9am...for an evaluation

Rehabilitation Medicine, NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell
              (212) 746-1529
              *2-19-98*

Comment

Still waiting to hear from neuro, he doesn't think it is as much drop foot, as it is overly strong muscles. He never heard of the device, but is willing to look at it more in depth, requesting more literature from Bioness. Hopefully this week he willl make a decision, but I would like to go to NYC to be evaluated. From all the excitement, I've gone into overdrive walking, and not favoring the foot. Pushing it to the limits, doing alot of hill work, since they are afraid my ankle doesn't bend enough, I'm beat, sore, and still pushing, seeing results I didn't think were going to be there. Going out to do some more work in the yard. Can't refuse work, and it seems like things are falling into place 3 years, and 6 months later. Will keep all posted.

Comment

OK, I just got back from my eval of the L300 and for me, this thing effing ROCKS! I have others (family and friends) interested in the full report so I will post a more in depth write-up along with photos and video to my personal site hopefully by tonight. I'll post back here with a link when it's ready.

But for now, I can give this info:

- WAY less uncomfortable that using a "regular" e-stim unit. I have very good sensation on the leg they placed it on and it just felt like a little tingle.

- the stim was able to break the tone that usually kicks in in my ankle that causes it to planter-flex every time I take a step with my AFO. For this reason, my foot was able to dorsi-flex very easily and clear every time. This meant less hip swinging/hiking and better endourance for me.

- My trunk is very asymetrical (left side stronger than the right) which gives me horrible hunched over and crooked posture when I walk with my AFO. Both the Bioness rep and the PT were amazed at how much straighter/taller I stood/walked with this thing on.

- Although I couldn't test it 100% because they insisted on making me keep my crutches and wear a gait belt (haven't seen one of those since the bad-ol' inpatient days), I felt totally stable and safe.

I will be going back to work with it a few more times between the rest of this week and next week. By the end of 3 or 4 more sessions, myself, the Bioness rep and the PT will decide if I should take the plunge and get one of my own.

More later... feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer them here and when I post my full report...

Thanks to Mike C for the original post - this thing will drastically change the lives of many!

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

Dave,

I´m sure many here will be eagerly awaiting your detailed report and videos. Congrats on the positive results and...your welcome, glad I could help.
                    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Damn , Damn, Damn, Now I gotta go to NYC and see this thing itself! I am so beatup from the "remark" that my legs are too strong, I wanna see it for myself!, crazy part is with all the impications of my ability, all I want to do is walk, without the feeling I'm towing around a 250 lb weight. Daveho, I'm so jelouios I could scream, but, better I put into motion to get into the city, and see if it would work for me. ARRRRRRRGH, I've got about 4 more hours of work to do, and then, look out, this is great to hear, I had a lot of good feelings about this device.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the report Dav0,

I have the same issue as you do. I planter flex when I walk on my left foot and my body is also a-symetric since my right side/trunk is alot stronger than my right!

Sounds awesome!

Did you ever notice after wearing it any redness? Like how long can you wear this thing without it burning your skin or is it all day thing?

EDIT:

Thanks Dave0 I didn't realize you already answered my question about how long you can wear it. Very cool!
                        Injured:10-16-04
                        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                        Blog:
                        http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                        Facebook:
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                        Progress:
                        http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                        My drawings:
                        http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

I finished training on the L300 yesterday. I really like the unit, it is fairly easy to put on (take off) and extremely easy to adjust (e-stim parameters). The unit is wireless and activated via force sensor placed in the heel of you shoe. This is similar to a foot switch only much more sensitive to the surface you are walking on and how this surface changes the direction of force applied to your heel. The unit does not have the ability to detect muscle fatigue (you have to gradual build up tolerance). They require that you have a minimum of 8 visits to be educated and trained with the device before they will issue/sell they unit. They have about a 50% success rate with insurance companies with the hand unit (when I was trained on this unit 2 years ago they had 0%) and are hoping for the same with the L300. You can start training for $ 500 a month (and script from a Doc). This fee is applied towards the price of the unit with hopes that insurance will pick up part/all of the cost. They have a form to start this process. The form does not obligate you to buy the unit it is really a hippa form to release your info so that they can start the process with your insurance company. Any way back to the unit, I trialed it on 2 patients and liked what I saw. We had one main problem (from the therapist end). First, you can not place the force sensor under a rigid surface in the shoe (like an orthotic insert). It should be placed under a thin foam insert or under the normal insert of most gym shoes. After we realized what was wrong things went well. The unit allows for a lot of parameter tweaking which is good. This allows you to use, inhibit, or facilitate muscle tone at the ankle (heel strike, stance phase, toe off...) and therefore control the knee better. All of this allows for a more improved/equal step/stride/cadence. There was a noticeable improvement in both individuals gait pattern, they just fatigued fairly quickly. I took pictures and video with out the unit activated. If the individual is willing I will post the video in the near future. I will also scan the hippa info release document when I get a chance next week so that I can post a link inform of a pdf.

Wildwilly
                          “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Comment

Thanks for the info wildwilly,

So you actually have to pay for training and then buy the unit as well? My insurance won't cover jack so its goign to be all out of my grandma's and my pocket if I do get the unit but I also didn't realize its 6,000 + 500 per session, if you mean its an extra 8*$500 + $6000 that'll be a kick in the mouth.

That also brings up another question,what type of patients are using these units?

For instance, I have no hip flexors on the left leg which requires the brace. So how can the unit fire on a heal strike if basically there is no heal strike. I mean if the unit doesn't fire and keep my toe up while i'm swinging through it won't work. How does it know when i'm going to be swinging that leg through?
                            Last edited by mr_coffee; 3 May 2007, 6:29 AM.
                            C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
                            Facebook:
                            Progress:
                            My drawings:
                            http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

I was using the unit with a para and a quad (both incomplete). I have been working with the para for about 6 months. We have progressed from an old double metal upright KAFO, to a carbon fiber KAFO with stance control, to an AFO and now the L300. This gentleman had 1/5 hip flexors when he started and it has improved 2/5. The hip/knee flexion is actually improved with the stimulation of dorsiflexion/eversion. This is a common pattern that can be elicited even on individuals labeled complete. As for the paying for the training let me see if I can clarify. The $500 was another option for individuals with out insurance or who are having difficulty with insurance coverage. Now that I'm trained and the facility has the units I can apply this modality during a treatment session. There would not be an additional charge unless the unit was dispensed to the individual. I went school with one of the reps. I will send her an e-mail and see if she can explain all the billing options in detail. If she can I will post the info.

Wildwilly
                              “As the cast of villains in SCI is vast and collaborative, so too must be the chorus of hero's that rise to meet them” Ramer et al 2005

Comment

Thanks Wildwilly
                                C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
                                Facebook:
                                Progress:
                                My drawings: