lift that ass!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lift that ass!

any advice for doing a sliding board transfer when you have really shitty triceps?
    that's just the way I roll.

What kind of board are you using?
    Are you doing pretty much level transfers?
    Are you leaning forward so that your chest is nearly directly on your thighs?
    Are you rotating your shoulders so that your elbows lock (with your hands pointed backward)?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Though a C-6, I have pretty shitty triceps, too. No matter how much I worked them, nothing. So, in rehab, I learned to compensate by building up my shoulder strength and my biceps. It also helped that I got some technique training but I was very successful using a wood sliding board (back in those days). HOWEVER, within a year after working out, I gave up the sliding board and now do independent transfers due to the strength I gained. That wasn't the only reason as I learned to balance myself by leaning forward just enough so that my ass is just slightly off the surface and simultaneously use the momentum to push myself off my ass and land on wherever I intended to.

If I were you, I would work on gaining enough strength first and then complement it with trying out various techniques.

Comment

thanks for the info...... i'm a C4-C5 incomplete, my right side is a lot stronger than my left.

i can lock my arms and push through my shoulders but it doesn't seem like my rear is coming up enough to slide.

i'm going to keep practising because i know i can do it!

Comment

Alex i use a easy board it had a disc that help you slide over. Sorry i dont have a link to it just google it on here. anty
          Be always determined in Life and Love

Comment

Anty, perhaps you mean a Beasy Trans? The downside of these is how heavy they are, and you have to be very careful using one naked...I have seen scrotum pinches.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse
              Anty, perhaps you mean a Beasy Trans? The downside of these is how heavy they are, and you have to be very careful using one naked...I have seen scrotum pinches.

(KLD)
              I think Anty's scrotum is safe..........

Alex........you have to improve balance so you can lean forward as you slide....get the weight off your ass
              C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

can you transfer without a board rhino?

i'm working on everything!

Comment

Alex,

I use this type of transfer board.

I´ve had good experiences using them. You may want to check it out.
                  Last edited by Mike C; 08-03-2006, 07:09 PM.
                  "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

thanks, i'm definitly going to check it out!

Comment

My wife can only transfer with a lot of assistance. We use a Beasy board. I'd be afraid to use it without any clothing between butt & board, for fear of pinching. Our alternate is a Hoyer lift.
                      - Richard

Comment

well people i finally did it!!!!!!!

i did a sliding board transfer solo took me forever at first but i've been practising and surprisngly it's getting easier but by no means is it easy!!!!

next goal is transferring when there is an incline or decline!

i'm just having trouble positioning my hands once i'm in the chair, to adjust myself, but i guess that takes practise

Comment

Good for you Alex. Declines are usually easy because you have gravity helping you out. You can practice small inclines at first from your bed to your chair. Usually the transfer board will sink under your weight when your transferring from your mattress to your chair (depending on how firm your mattress is and how high your bed is of course). If you can electrically adjust the height of your bed, you can more easily determine how severe you want that incline to be when you practice.
                          "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Working...
                          X