weight training and SCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The mom
    Evidently, quads aren’t able to work out at an intense enough level to achieve a good aerobic level, much less convert to an anaerobic phase. Part of this is dysreflexia, I believe – you’ll have to ask the experts on the site about the physiology. I’m guessing the general lack of muscle in a complete quad can decrease the cardiac capacity, as you were saying, creating a pretty tough cycle to overcome.

Aerobic/anaerobic capability was tested using a handcycle, with heart leads and oxygen monitors versus an able bodied on a treadmill- Obviously, lower extremity stats will be higher than upper extremity numbers, but he easily worked into an anaerobic phase. They decided his heart and lung capacity were sufficient to play rugby. Without rugby his heart and lungs wouldn’t be what they are…..!

Still taking notes....... Thank you!

Looking forward to your Neurovita updates!
    that is incorrect. inc quads can
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Hey! Im sorry, I will will respond in length when I get home (sat or sun)

Rachel if you read this, I got your email and Ill write you back when I get home. Like I said I have some ideas.

-Jeff.
      IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Comment

Good thread, more ideas to wreak havoc on my torso.

Since rugby season ended I have been hitting the gym harder than ever. Weight training is so good for my mind but the all-over soreness is getting to me. 36 hours later is usually the worst, like when I wake up 2 days after killing it. Any guys that work out have a certain sleeping position for their shoulders and arms? I've been eating good, lots of protein, lots of water, Gatorade for electrolytes. Before workout usually steel cut oats for good energy and then 30-50g of whey protein powder followed by a big boneless-skinless chicken breast and some raw veggies.

I never remember being this sore pre-SCI, probably because I used legs to get around vs. my upper body for everything now. I haven't aggravated anything, I'm just looking for some input as to better recover sooner. I still like wheeling 3 miles everyday regardless if I work out or not.. Seems alot to do this summer, workout, handcycle, wheel, work on rugby passing distance and I just ordered a tennis chair to start a program in June.

Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
          I'm just looking for some input as to better recover sooner.

Any thoughts?
          Get a good glutamine and take after working out and/or before bed. It should cut a day off of your recovery time.

Comment

Is the pharse use or lose it correct in SCI?

Comment

Originally posted by Mom15 View Post
              Is the pharse use or lose it correct in SCI?
              even more so
              Originally posted by juggular View Post
              Get a good glutamine and take after working out and/or before bed. It should cut a day off of your recovery time.
              I find the liquid glutamine works much better than the pill. I use the EFX cell rush and liquid glutamine after riding hard and it pretty much eliminates any soreness.

Comment

Protein

Originally posted by jschism View Post
                even more so

I find the liquid glutamine works much better than the pill. I use the EFX cell rush and liquid glutamine after riding hard and it pretty much eliminates any soreness.
                Actually the soreness is your muscles trying to repairs itself. What I found out is about 30-45 minutes after lifting weights drink a good protein mix. I use three eggs, 1/3 cup of dry milk, 1/3 carton of tofu, teaspoon of peanut butter and a half cup of 0% fat milk mixed. You can even have some Greek yogurt, 23 grams of protein per serving. The protein helps repair the muscle and reduces soreness.

Ti
                "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Comment

How do you keep track of your progress? As I am AB have troubles keeping going when you hit the plateau and no progress seems to be happening. Do you have someone encouraging or pushing you on?
                  I just question as I would like to encourage my son.. however being a mom it would be nagging I am sure..

Comment

Working...
                  X