Timelines for recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timelines for recovery

OK, enough about rumors. Let´s be precise here, quads and paras. What exactly has returned and when? And how much exercise did you do, what kind? And level? And how traumatic was the injury?

I´ll start

T11-T12 crushed by dodge ram pick up. Spinal roots intact

First week: Had almost normal genital sensation, painful urethral sensation, normal anal sensation including pinprick. No motor or sensation from waist down. Belly shots did not hurt. Could feel full bladder.

1-2 months: Pressure sensation down to feet, with patches of no sensation. Could not pee at all.

4 months: more and more sensation. Normal sensation in belly (refused shots there LOL), semi normal in butt. Reflexive peeing if bladder full with no control. Unable to pee at will (tried). L leg much more spastic than R (later it will be the opposite)

6 months: Normal abdominal muscles. Hip flexors come back, R stronger than L 2 plus versus 1 plus. Flicker glut contraction. temperature sensation R hamstrings, soles of feet, and butt. Patches of pinprick L thigh. Normal sensation to below both inguinal areas.

7 -9 months: Stronger gluts, L knee flexors 2/5,toes back 3/5, plantar flexors 2/5. Abductors and adductors 2/5. Can start to hold urine and pee at will, but with urgency. Right leg becomes severely spastic, and right foot at risk of contracture, with 0/5 ankle movement. Horribly spastic and painful R hip. L leg starts to feel like it´s my "good" leg, and R my screwy one.

10-11 months: L ankle inversion 3/5, L ankle flexor 2/5. Extensors 1-2/5 in both legs. Stop cathing, can hold 350 cc urine and hold it for a while, and urinate at will. Bladder feels overactive though, not relaxed as before. No bowel accidents but am doing bowel program every other day.

12 months: not there yet!!!

Exercise: MINIMAL. Like, really really minimal.
    Just got my standing frame.

Start exercising like a mad(wo)man and youll get there.

Check out some of my vids. You should be able to do some in that standing frame!

/forum/showthread.php?t=63537

Good luck!

-Jeff.
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Comment

Mike is 3 months post.
      Month 1 - no sensation
      Month 2 - ASIA B Light touch patchy
      Month 3 - Light touch almost everywhere (is light touch tingle when touched?) When he touches arms can feel sensation in legs. No movement. Standing for about and hour a day for past 3 days. Uses oxycycle 2-3 times a week. Still really needs to work on his core balance and strength.

Comment

Crippy are you walking?
        Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
          Crippy are you walking?
          NOT AT ALL

Comment

I don't want to change the topic, but Cripply with your return you have alot of poential, why keeping the exercise at a minimum?
            Injured:10-16-04
            C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
            Blog:
            http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
            Facebook:
            http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
            Progress:
            http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
            My drawings:
            http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee
              I don't want to change the topic, but Cripply with your return you have alot of poential, why keeping the exercise at a minimum?
              PAIN through the roof. I´ll keep trying though

Comment

Hi Cripply
                I am 17 years post with T12-L2. Like you a month post I got pressure sensation. two months I could pee. I still cant hold it but I know when I got to go and havent cathed since I left the rehab hospital in July of 1989. I dont do a bowel program and I go when I need to. My feet and calf muscles never came back. I chose not to bring a chair home with me from rehab and have walked with braces ever since. I walk with AFO's and a cane. I have no movement or pain sensation in my feet but I do have pressure sensation. My left is my stronger leg.

Get to exercising girl you can do it!!!!!!!!
                T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

bump bump bump

Comment

Originally posted by Cripply
                    PAIN through the roof. I´ll keep trying though
                    I have pain issues as well, but they are usually under control. (It sounds like yours are much worse) One thing I do find, when I am hurting I tend to avoid exercise. But, if I can't avoid it for some reason (I will skip out on exercising on my own for instance, but won't cancel a therapy appointment) I do feel better afterwards. I'm trying to push myself to deliberately exercise when I am in pain, but don't really have the self control to follow through yet.

My point here, after all the rambling, is perhaps exercise might help your pain somewhat? Try a little bit and see what happens? (of course you may have already taken this approach)
                    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

I've had increased muscle control and strength as well as sensation pretty consistently (but slow) since I started seriously working out. I moved a toe like 4 months post. Everything kind of blends toogether at this point when I think about return.
                      -------7-23-04----------
                      C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
                      www.darrentempleton.com
                      www.pushtowalknj.org

Comment

C5/6 INC

Good sensation from day one and has continued to improve

3 months post - 80 percent bowel return when i began going sitting up rather than bed......still take senna and lactulose but no digstim or bullets. i have push and know when i need to go and if I'm empty. My regularity has improved with my increased activity and healthy eating since moving out on my own.

10 - 12 months post. Flicker of tricep on the left...poss a few stomach and back muscles.

17 months post..........not sure if it is 'return' but the usability of my hands is increasing since I started pushing about 2 miles a day and living on my own
                        C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Motorcycle "accident" in July 1979. Paralyzed from the chest down, T-5 complete.

No sensation or motor function from my chest down while lying on the side of the road. Couldn't feel the rain as it started pouring onto my lower torso and couldn't move a thing below my chest. EXTREME pain in my back.

Many UTIs since but am finally starting to get them under control with my "new and improved" clean/sterile cathing technique. Lots of germ killing chemicals. Will probably die from these caustic and carcinogenic chemicals... but what the hell, if the smokin' and drinkin' doesn't do me in then the cathing chemicals will.

No return whatsoever and it's now June of 2006. I guess I haven't been trying hard enough. Oh well.

That was short and sweet.
                          "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

It's hard to compare when every SCI injury is different

We all have similarities but differences as well. I'm 29 years status post. My level is c7-c8 incomplete. Initially diagnosed as c-5c-c6 complete. But return came back thru the years. I'm 95% independent long as I don't flip out my chair

To make a long history short I pushed a lot, weight lifted, played a lot of hand dexterity games (cards, board games) and tried to do things for myself. A lot of frustration and cussing. Just in the last 12 years I do my BM naturally. As long as I eat right and drink fluids.
                            Lynarrd Skynyrd Lives

Comment

Working...
                            X