Recovery...5 years post+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recovery...5 years post+

It's measurable, it's observable, it's definable.

For the first time since I was hurt, I can put my chest down to my knees....and sit up from this position with no assistance from my hands. I was diagosed T5 complete. Today, when the muscles kicked, I sat up so fast I almost flipped my chair backwards

What have I been doing:

1) Biofeedback therapy...three years.
    2) Acupuncture in France.
    3) Swimming...really REALLY often
    4) Pilates...in the last three months I started this.

My back muscles are now voluntarily functional down to L2.

Was it worth it? You're not kidding it's worth it...especially for the opportunity to tell my Jackson physical therapists they were wrong...

GO TEAM!
    Eric Texley

Etex, excellent man. I hope it continues for you. I am a T6 complete that rehabed at Jackson too. No return so far, not doing nearly as much as you either. Good luck and keep at it. What therapy do you think has helped the most and when did you start it (how long ago and how long after injury??)
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Comment

Wow that is awesome man! Keep up the hard work and I hope for more return for you!
      Injured:10-16-04
      C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
      Blog:
      http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
      Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
      Progress:
      http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
      My drawings:
      http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by etexley
        It's measurable, it's observable, it's definable.

For the first time since I was hurt, I can put my chest down to my knees....and sit up from this position with no assistance from my hands. I was diagosed T5 complete. Today, when the muscles kicked, I sat up so fast I almost flipped my chair backwards

What have I been doing:

1) Biofeedback therapy...three years.
        2) Acupuncture in France.
        3) Swimming...really REALLY often
        4) Pilates...in the last three months I started this.

My back muscles are now voluntarily functional down to L2.

Was it worth it? You're not kidding it's worth it...especially for the opportunity to tell my Jackson physical therapists they were wrong...

GO TEAM!

This is all great news - congratulations. Your exercise/therapy programme is commendable.
        Can I ask you - did you (or do you) suffer from spasticity or spasms? I was wondering that if you did, how did you overcome them to get where you are? If I bend right forward while sitting in my chair and then try to sit up (with the help of my hands/arms) I can get very strong spasticity in my torso that keeps pulling me back down. It often takes all my strength to fight it. I am T4 complete.

Comment

Back up

That's fantastic!

The pilates works the core and this sounds like a core move. I wonder if there is a move that requires these muscles that you have been doing. Please share. Pat

Comment

WOO HOO ERIC!!!

yay, friend! keep on keeping on!!!

way to go!

yay!!!

yahoo!

Take care, God bless...

Teena

Comment

WTG eric that is awesome!
              Daniel

Comment

Its GREAT to hear news like this. I'm looking for a rehab place here in Houston because i've gained movement sideways and if sitting straight enough on the chair I can move forward and pull myself backward with no hands. All this happended over six months afte the sci. I've always thought that exercising something always would do me great and promise myself to go swiming when summer comes up. I'm attending to a bed sore that exposed my back bone 8 months ago and its almost heald. After that I have no more excuses to keep me away from the pool and the rehab.
                AstrO

Comment

That is awesome news....I was wondering what your opinion was of your accupuncture in France. Do you feel that it helped you in any way? We are taking my son (T10 complete) there in a few weeks. He is almost 6 months post. Also, how often did you go?

Comment

Are you all getting the laser acupuncture? How long before you guys saw an effect and could you please quantify the effect?
                    Daniel

Comment

Eric,

Hey. I wanted to congratulate you on your progress, but you seemed to have disappeared...you are probably out exercising! A big congratulations to you for your progress. Thanks for sharing!

mom01

Comment

hey CarBar

Actually, I was very spastic about 1.5 years after I was hurt. I was reading here one day, a post by Seneca. She said she used to be able to control her spasms by "thinking about them." Dr. Young followed up that the control was due to surviving motor neurons.

For six months after, I practiced "thinking" about my spasms. Typically, I could stop them by changing positions. What I learned about myself is that thinking about the spasms would stop them.

Something else that I discussed with Dr. Brucker while doing his biofeedback therapy. It seems that you can control your spasms starting, can't you? "I bend right forward while sitting in my chair" He agrees with me. A "voluntary spasm" is an oxymoron.

In fact, the biofeedback programs in Miami begin their training with spasms, if there is no obvious voluntary control over the muscle.

It is written all over this forum, all over the web. There ARE some surviving neuronsin burst fractures, complete, or not complete. And when the cord is "severed" we know from experiments on rats that a cut cord grows back!

Each time I go to France for laserpuncture, something changes about my injury. The results are usually very subtle, and take some weeks to appear, but they do come. As for the Laserpuncture, the only thing I can quantify are consistent gains in my biofeedback scores. I got very sick a year ago, only now have I beat it completely.

It's there. If I dont' look for it, we'll never find it. I have been so caught up in work and school in my life, that I've misplaced working out at times. I know I have priorities...friends, my dog, etc. But regular workouts, with the basic goal of restoring function has to be a part of my life...or I'll never get better.

And with this President running the show, the chances that a restorative therapy will be around in the US anytime soon is very slim.
                        Last edited by etexley; 28 Jun 2006, 9:37 PM.
                        Eric Texley

Comment

Originally posted by etexley
                          hey CarBar

Actually, I was very spastic about 1.5 years after I was hurt. I was reading here one day, a post by Seneca. She said she used to be able to control her spasms by "thinking about them." Dr. Young followed up that the control was due to surviving motor neurons.

For six months after, I practiced "thinking" about my spasms. Typically, I could stop them by changing positions. What I learned about myself is that thinking about the spasms would stop them.

Something else that I discussed with Dr. Brucker while doing his biofeedback therapy. It seems that you can control your spasms starting, can't you? "I bend right forward while sitting in my chair" He agrees with me. A "voluntary spasm" is an oxymoron.
                          That's interesting what you say about thinking the spasms away. I have had a tiny success with that, but only with a certain type of spasm when I am lying down. The spasms I get in the seated position usually result from movement and are more sudden. They seem impossible to think away because they happen so quickly, but I'll work on it some more.
                          Very interesting too about the laserpuncture in combination with everything else you do.

Comment

The other day, for whatever reasons, I said to myself "try to suck in your belly". To my suprise I was able to. And I can actually feel the muscles in my ab region contracting- not so much on my left side. Techinally I'm a complete C4 (3 yrs post), but I'm told I function as a C6/7 because I "get around" so well. I don't really know what to do w/ this new found ability- no good DR's in my city. I'm wondering if e-steming would help.
                            Last edited by ROYALTY79; 29 Jun 2006, 4:47 AM.
                            "People Will Forget What You've Said, They'll Forget What You've did, but They'll Never Forget How You Made Them Feel" -Maya Angelou

Comment

great man.

ppl dont understand that w/ a solid workout program u can make gains indefinately.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X