Back to WWRC for rehab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to WWRC for rehab

One year today, I cracked my back at work. Last time I walked was getting into the house and laying on the couch thinking I really pulled a muscle this time. Little did I know. Trip to hospital,x-rays,home take buncha muscle meds, back to hospital at 0130,cat scan,freaked doctor,helicoptor ride,2 operations in 2 days,3rd one a week later,and a year in the chair. What a year.

1st week at WWRC

The first week at WWRC has been great. I have been able to move left leg doing powder board workouts, both with hip flexes and knee flexes. My ankles are very stiff and require more stretching. They have also spotted a hip drop on my left side. They seem to think it may still be correctable. I am begining pool therapy, stim-bike, and driving w/adaptive controls next week. The most fun was using the leg press. I was able to push 50 lbs, which is pretty feeble, but ok for now. Scott,Robin, I'll pm ya'll with my cell-phone number to get in touch,see ifn we can meet up. That'd be great to meet ya'll.

Comment

2nd week at WWRC.....

This week is drawing to a close, and I have seen some continued,though not as much as hoped improvement. The pool was ok, I had hoped to be able to walk "normally",far from it. I didn't get to use the stim-bike,therapist didnt think am ready yet. No matter, she whupped my butt jus the same. I am using Nu-step as part of cardio program, and help with leg strength also. I pushed the leg press today,and now pushing 70lbs. Still not exactly "Manly-status",but an improvement. Continued work on the parallel bars,some betterment there. Also discovered legs aint strong enough to hold up a fat butt yet. Mighty wobbly,bojangles dancing on the bars. Will begin using the Vitaglide and various ube's and weight set-ups for upper body and cardio. Am really anxious to see what next week brings. When I go home this Friday, I will continue to use the Flexicisor to work on legs some. But, the REAL highlight of the week was meeting the Mr. Deadeye hisself. It was really cool to hangout with a cat the dont let the chair slow him down, a real treat for me this week. I cant wait to seperate Scott from the honeypies he has to "tutor" on Tuesday evening. I may have better luck finding a snowball in Florida!! Till then...

Comment

Originally posted by graybeard
        But, the REAL highlight of the week was meeting the Mr. Deadeye hisself. It was really cool to hangout with a cat the dont let the chair slow him down, a real treat for me this week. I cant wait to seperate Scott from the honeypies he has to "tutor" on Tuesday evening. I may have better luck finding a snowball in Florida!! Till then...
        Thanks GB, it was a pleasure to meet you as well. I'm sure we could continue the magic wheels conversation and discover some interesting facts about us both!

And you are SOOO right about Scott and the the new team of hot OT affiliates. You might have to smack him to get his attention. And by the way, behave with the OSU cutie there. She was a real sweetie. It was unreal how much she reminded me of my dear friend Jaime. God, I miss her

Off to Nashville for a few days next week but I'll see you again soon. There's a certain lady in admin I need to see again soon. REEEEEEAAAAL bad.
        "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi graybeard
          Good luck on the braces again!! I want them so I'm following your progress!!!
          If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Don't ya just feel "pumped" and exhausted when it's over tho...you certainly made extreme progress in my estimation, in just two weeks.
            So Graybeard give yourself some credit....and look at it this way....you've only just begun!!! I sure wish you the best, keep up the great work.
            If this old fart can get her keester back you can surely get your leg
            muscles back and oh yeah, don't forget your bum...that's a very important part of a man's anatomy for us chick's! LOLOLOL

Bet you didn't do this much exercise before your injury did ya!...Well, even
            at my ripe old age I find exercise invigorating!! It kills time and let's my mind wonder,,,eh, yah on the grocery list...sure!

Queen
            Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Comment

Little late on the anny...but keep us updated with the program GB...

Comment

LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by Myc0
                  Happy anniversary??? I don't think so. He's probably glad that he's still alive, but the injury anniv. is nothing to celebrate. I'll be at the 1 year mark in a couple of weeks, and Jesus Herbert Christ! The first year has been an infinite shit fest, if it doesn't get any better after this I'll be done with this sorry existence; and my only regret will be that I didn't end it sooner and save myself a world of degradation and pain.

Comment

Myc0,

I think coping skills get better but you never truly accept your injury, at least I haven't.

Sometimes it gets worse as times goes by because you realize how much of life you're missing due to lack of quality.

Comment

3rd week at WWRC.....

Would like to say hey to some CC folks first. My lovely Lady Queen; yes, there is progress being made,jus not fast enough. I shall concentrate mightily for the 'buns of steel' you so desire !! Addiesue, the leg brace is showing some real promise for walking. I am still working with the parallel bars, I think the PT might try the walker this week. I will post further on this as we work with it. Jayday, will keep a weekly update for all to see where Ive started, where I finish in this rehab stay. Todd,aint so much of not accepting the injury, it's what it has taken away, as you stated, that is the worst to deal with. And, not the last, nor the least, what a huge pleasure it was to meet Scott P. I was greatly delighted to yak awhile with him,even if he pretended to be listening while giving hugs and such to the OT's-in-training, who jus happen to flock right to him. Gotta be the shoes . Making mental note about stylin' shoes.
                      But,as for the past week,there were a few set backs,and some nice surprises as well. The setbacks included starting the week with a UTI. That put the funk on Monday and Tuesday. The pool session on Tuesday jus wasnt going well again. The damn left leg does whatever it wants, not able to get it to work with the right at all. So very FRUSTRATING !!!!! PT and I agreed the pool should be put on hold for now and concentrate on another exercise for that time slot. That 'other' exercise turned out to be the Ergys bike !!!!!! This was at first aggervatin' as I couldnt seem to work with it. However, as we got it dialed in, was able to do somewhat better on it. Cant wait to get back on it this coming week. Using the leg brace is really looking better the more we work with it. Was somewhat feeble on Friday, but did finish stepping better by the end of the hour. We may finally have the rehab workouts set for the weeks to come, balancing between weight training and cardio,along with using various mat and machine workouts. The biggest surprise of all was being able to actually crawl. To see my left knee actually move under its own power was the happiest I felt in a very long time. Learning to crawl. The process to start walking again.
                      On the OT side, still am having real difficulty getting in and out of a car without a transfer board. I go into a spasm with the left leg every time I put any strain on it. Noticed a footprint the size of my therapist's foot on my butt. I knew she was trying to help me, but am very suspicious of her help !!!! Well, till next week.......

Comment

Leg braces are excellent resources for exercise.

Sorry about your UTI. Hope that sucker clears up soon.

Comment

John, I've got an appointment to check on the chair-back tomorrow at 2. Going to be in PT. Are you still there?
                          "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

hey John, it was great meeting you too. I know dealing with this SCI stuff is a struggle, but you're doing quite well for being just a year post, and I'm sure you'll see improvement in the time to come... seriously, especially considering the function you've got in your right leg (no matter how it may seem). Keep your spirits up & keep plowing through man. You've got more potential than you see in the here & now.

Keep in touch

Comment

AT....tention

Ok, let's get over the UTI, keep the reunions short, hunting tales (all lies) brief. And no heckeling' the Staff...back to work.. sweating with the oldies...

I'm overjoyed to hear that your "crawling", this will serve you well
                              when we finally meet and allow your need to grovel before me. I would never ask you to do anything that I haven't already done, GB. I envision you, in time so have patience, like Forrest Gump when he went running down that road flinging leg braces and parts off to the side of the road.

You should just count your lucky stars the ole' Queen isn't there to supervise...bringing new meaning to the term: "DRILL SARGENT!"

Nuff said!

Queenie
                              Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Comment

Working...
                              X