X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The rise and fall of my para belly

Reason to be cheerful:

Belly is going down!
    Since the beginning of this year, I have been doing crunches (in the broadest meaning of the word) and it looks like they are paying off because my belly is definitely much tidier. Maybe I am eating a little less too, but no major change.
    Each morning I lie on my bed, with lower legs dangling over the side. I raise my arms behind my head and then swing forward. When I first started (am T4 complete, no feeling/action below armpits) I was just about lifting my head and my neck seemed to do most of the work, but as the weeks go on I am lifting more and more of my body and can really feel the pull down my torso. I do 4 lots of 10 crunches each morning.
    If I put my hands behind my head and try the same, of course I don't get as much of a lift - the momentum of my arms thrusting forward is totally necessary to get real movement. Still, the result is what counts and there is definitely a result. If it continues and I have a belly to be proud of, maybe I'll post a pic!!

An alternative that will also help with your upper arms/shoulders as well as abs and body control.

Sitting up(works great in a chair too) With a dumbell, or bar from 5-10lbs
    Extend the weight from your chest strait out and down to your knees.

This will make you feel as though it is pulling you over forward. Your abs should kick in as you try to stabalise yourself.

Grats on the crunches!
    Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

Well done, carbar!

Gosh, I wouldn't mind getting rid of my para belly either. But as a T2 para, I can't see that doing what you are describing would do much good for me.
      And my para belly is HUGE, too!

BTW, the title of your thread is most amusing. I'm not sure why, it just sounds comical.

Comment

Originally posted by keps
        Well done, carbar!

Gosh, I wouldn't mind getting rid of my para belly either. But as a T2 para, I can't see that doing what you are describing would do much good for me.
        And my para belly is HUGE, too!

BTW, the title of your thread is most amusing. I'm not sure why, it just sounds comical.
        give it a try keps - I admit that I felt a bit of a fool at first with so little movement apart from my head and neck, but persistance has paid off.

the title of thread puts me in mind of 'the rise and fall of reginald perrin' - did you ever see that - I thought it really funny! Oh Miss Jones! Oh Reginald! (I know you are way too young to have seen the originals but you may have seen reruns!!)

Comment

Carbar sounds like you are doing sit ups with your ams like I roll. I swing my arms from one side to the other to get the body moving so that I can flip over. I will have to try the sit ups ecpecially since I just ate a choclate choclate chip muffin.
          www.cawvsports.org
          The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
          We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by carbar
            give it a try keps - I admit that I felt a bit of a fool at first with so little movement apart from my head and neck, but persistance has paid off.

the title of thread puts me in mind of 'the rise and fall of reginald perrin' - did you ever see that - I thought it really funny! Oh Miss Jones! Oh Reginald! (I know you are way too young to have seen the originals but you may have seen reruns!!)
            Wasn't Miss Jones from Rising Damp? I loved that program.
            Yeah, I must've been thinking of Reginald Perrin when I saw your thread title.

Maybe I will give your method a try when I get too hacked off with my belly. I can cope with it until then, though. (ie, I'm just too darned lazy to try )

Comment

Thanks Carbar & Rbraur. This info is helpful. I am always looking to improve my exercise program. I will try these.

Comment

Originally posted by keps
                Wasn't Miss Jones from Rising Damp? I loved that program.
                Yeah, I must've been thinking of Reginald Perrin when I saw your thread title.
                )
                you are right - I'm mixing up my Leonard Rossiters - they are all funny though!

Comment

If your not ready for weights, try extending arms out to the sides, then bring your hands together slowly. Make sure to keep your back strait (as possible). If you slump then you don't get as much use of your abs for back support.

If your ready for wieghts, but don't have any, simply fill a used soda bottle with water (Dont' forget to screw the cap back on or, well, you'l find out).
                  Rick Brauer or just call me - Mr B

http://www.riseadventures.org

Comment

How far up are you getting and how much of your back are you getting off of the bed? My shoulders come all the way off the bed but not much more. I know we are different levels just wnt something to compare to.
                    www.cawvsports.org
                    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                      How far up are you getting and how much of your back are you getting off of the bed? My shoulders come all the way off the bed but not much more. I know we are different levels just wnt something to compare to.

Hard to say. The first 10 crunches (where I get the most va-va-voom!) are the most successful and with them my shoulder blades are off the mattress and maybe a little more. The pull in my abdomen is very strong if I really concentrate hard on making it so. I get the feeling that if I persist for long enough I might even be able to get enough momentum to end up sitting! Maybe that is wishful thinking, but it sort of feels within reach.
                      Given your level, getting your shoulders off the bed sounds pretty good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Aly
                        Aly,
                        I'm also C-6 and am able to accomplish the same as you have with getting my shoulders off, too. I think the trick is going to be a) minimizing your momentum so that you're not getting the swing effect to come up and down, instead making full stops in between each "crunch"; b) mentally concentrating real hard on your ab muscles EVEN if you can't feel them down there, as if pretending that you have full sensation and ability of your abs. This would mean that you can't have distractions like music and TV running at the same time; c) every time you come up, try as much as you can, even if it's for half a second, to hold in that position and make your abs work harder.

I've taken carbar's initiative and tweaked it a bit to come up with a variation of it. The other thing I recommend doing is to measure your waist now and see what happens in 30-day intervals. Right now, I do 4-5 sets of 50 each morning and night while I'm in bed. I like carbar's idea of slipping my legs over the edge of the bed as this also stretches my hip flexors a little bit, too. And it also feels great to get my heart rate up significantly at the end of each set. Overall, I think quite a few benefits will be realized from this simple exercise.

The other exercise that I've been doing while in bed is to sit up, lean forward so that my head is now just about between my knees and then try to push back as much as I can even with minimal to no ability to push all the way up. I do this 4-5 sets of 50, same number of times as my ab exercise. This gets your back muscles working EVEN if you can't feel them. I had heard from an exercise physiologist that to get your quad belly working, both abs and back muscles need working, not just your abs.

I've decided to try this out for the next 2-3 months and see what happens. It is a zero cost exercise that takes no more than 20 minutes each time. What do we have to lose ... other than hopefully a quad belly.

Comment

felieh, what you described is very similar to what I am trying. Even stopping between each set I cannot decide if the swinging of my arms is getting me up off the bed or any use of trace abs I may or may not have. No distractions, are you kidding me I have to have music to work out. Silence while trying to do that would kill me. I have a cardio workout tape and the first thing I do is turn the volume of her obnoxious voice off and crank up some music.
                          www.cawvsports.org

Comment

Congrats on the incredible shrinking belly.
                            jOE
                            www.nwiscig.blogspot.com

Comment

Here are two i just came up with and have begun experimenting. First for abs, lye in bed and put pillows behind your back so you are sitting close to upright. Focus on abs and try to crunch so that you are straight. Now, one favorite of powerlifters training for a big lift is partials. Their method will be to train one specific area of the range of motion with heavier than normal weights and gradually add range every so many workouts. So, i thought, why not do the same. Every so often, try to remove/reposition pillows so that you are farther and farther from upright so you are forced to crunch a longer range of motion. If my experiment goes well, i will write a full article about it including some other little ideas to make it more effective :-) I am a certified personal trainer, so now i decided to start applying everything to make us more stable, might be a shot in the dark but anything is worth a try.
                              Another i am working on is find a small downhill slope, very small. A small pothole or similar ground indentation would work or you inside you can use a 2 x 6 under the rear wheels. Lock in place and if you have help, have someone hold the chair so it doesn't roll. Now, place your hands on the front of the chair and lean forward just before the point of no return. Again, work this range of motion for your sets. Every so many workouts, try to increase the range. So, you lean forward, let go of front of chair and try to squeeze shoulder blades together to bring yourself back to upright position. My hope is this will work the lower back, or at the very least, help with balance and stability.

Comment

Working...
                              X