First Day at RIM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Day at RIM

My son went for his evaluation and first PT session at RIM on Wednesday. It was wonderful. This is the first evaluation of possible return he's had since the accident, the staff was fantasitic: upbeat, energetic, interested, helpful. He actually has had some significant motor recovery and even a little sensory return. He can crawl! We had no idea. He left the house annoyed and returned happy. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    BeeBee

Awesome news!

"...I mean the wheelchair would be a thing in the past
    And us quads can talk about the past and laugh"-Professirx
    http://unite2fightparalysis.org/
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Today he walked about a quarter of the track in braces with "a giant baby walker". These are the "off the shelf" braces, they will be making some for him that are lighter. And this was after crawling and the Giger bike. [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
      BeeBee

Comment

that sounds great, i hope he continues to get good return.
        Injured:10-16-04
        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
        Blog:
        http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
        Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
        Progress:
        http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
        My drawings:
        http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

BeeBee,
          That's great! Is your son at the Bresnan Center? Is he in the spinal cord injury group? I am T6 complete and was taught to crawl by RIM Outpatient. I start the spinal cord injury program in August....

Comment

It's all good, keep pushing hard! Most likely a lot more will come, you're just getting started.

Rick
            Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

Yes, Mark, he is at Brasza Center as part of the Spinal Cord Recovery Program. I have been SO impressed with the staff and the program (admin staff could use some training, so be forwarned there, but the PT Staff is A#1, and that's what matters). He's there on Mon and Wed right now and will add another day soon.
              His goal is to walk with crutches by the end of summer. Ultimately, he's hoping to be able to remove the thigh portion of the braces.
              BeeBee

Comment

Oh, Mark, he's T12 complete (we thought [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]) but functioning now at more of an L2-ish level. He's redeveloping trunk control (he ended up with about 6 months in a TLSO) and will start hitting the gym for upper body training soon, as well.
                BeeBee

Comment

BeeBee, Not to be nosey...but is his insurance covering his therapy? I am finding auto insurance will pay for Spinal Cord Recovery Program....but health insurance won't. As it looks now, I will have to pay for program myself...$100/hour.

When I was first injured and was in Rehab, I worked with Bill Thornton. Can't wait to get there and see what he can do.

Comment

Auto Insurance is picking up the bill here. Bill did Kevin's evaluation last week and was the one that found so much recovery. He works with him off and on, still, but isn't his primary PT. A young guy named Reno and a girl named Alyssa (maybe spelled WRONG) usually work with him directly. Bill was very thorough in the eval and we were all surprised and impressed at what there was to work with.
                    BeeBee

Comment

Great news BeeBee....If he can accomplish this much so soon, he definitely will gain more mobility quickly. I certainly am interested in his future accomplishments,as I will be entering another rehab hospital to further my recovery.I have high hopes of walking by summers end.Keep us posted on his progress and best of luck to him.

Make it your ambition to lead by example,to work with your hands,so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders,and so that you will not be dependent on anybody..Motley Fool

Comment

Hi Bee Bee,
                        Great news about your son. Tell him to keep up the good work, it will pay off for him. Where is RIM, Brasza Center ??
                        Thanks,
                        chris B.

Comment

Today he walked and crawled a full lap each!! Two weeks ago he didn't know he was able to crawl at all. He gets his custom braces next week and will probably then move a "granny walker" for support.
                          BeeBee

Comment

First day with the new braces. Went a lap and then on the weight assisted treadmill.
                            Last edited by Wise Young; 30 Nov 2005, 4:52 AM.
                            BeeBee

Comment

AWESOME!

Carrie
                              If there is light
                              it will find
                              you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X