Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electrologic is out of business!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes. This isn't good. I don't have the bike but I did purchase the 3000.00 Neuropulse. Hope the new owner takes over and gets it up and running again. I was never impressed with the management, seemed a little disorganized.

Comment

Stephen - even if FES suppliers had no insurance premiums to pay... $200 for a pathetic little cable will do nothing but engender bad will. I don't know why medical companies charge so much. I wish someone would tell us.

~See you at the CareCure-used-to-be-paralyzed Reunion ~

Comment

Medical suppliers charge these extraordinary prices because they can. Go to a regular old medical supplier and get the price for batteries for your power chair. Then go to the auto parts store and get the price on the same size and type battery. I checked with the medical supplier for batteries for my chair and they were about $300 a piece, or for both, I can't remember which but what difference does it make? The same size and type battery at the auto parts store was $75 a piece. So that's at best twice as high, but if memory serves me correctly, they were four times as high. I just remember them telling me how much they were and thinking to myself I'll check somewhere else [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Comment

I think Electrologic can charge $14K because the market is so small for their product. They, also, probably have a few patents. Without competitors, they charge what they want. ERGYS and Electrologic probably get together and agree on price.

Once you've sold a product for 10 times the value of its components, you've got a problem. You've got to charge exorbitant prices for replacement parts so that the sum of those parts at least approaches the price of a new bike! That can get a little embarrassing when the parts are mostly common slightly modified materials.

Hence, $200 wires.

Comment

Any updates?

www.unite2fightparalysis.org

"Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean." C. Reeve
            Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M:

Any updates?

http://www.unite2fightparalysis.org

"Either you decide to stay in the shallow end of the pool or you go out in the ocean." C. Reeve
              Sue,
              I have been talking to Stimmaster's competition. He said that they did shut the doors.

Some ships sail east, some ships sail west, both by the same breeze blown. It is the set of the sail and not the gail that determines the direction blown.

Comment

Everything that has been said here is pretty much correct. 1) no doubt the FES bike was way overpriced, my main objective when I worked for them was to see more units produced by lowering the price to realistic levels and get these bikes in more people homes who could benefit by them, the fact remains that the FES bike is the most efficeint way a spinal cord injured person can exercise their legs. I always thought it was a wonderful invention. Insurance and liabiility is not the issue, it was in the early '80s when the bikes first came out as the insurers were worried about an unproven technology that people may be dropping dead of heart attacks. At this point liability is not an issue, it is a proven technology with many benefits. Insurance is cheap now.
                2) the main reason for the high prices are low production and greed. I realized shortly after I was at the plant this was no normal company. It was not Steve Petrofskys fault or even Heather Davis's fault it was the investors who owned the company, they wanted to milk it for all it was worth. It really kind of pissed me off seeing all this going on being spinal cord injured myself and knowing even I was being taken advantage of. I really wanted to see major change at the company, not only for the sake of the company but for the sake of all spinal cord injured people so they would have more options to stay in shape and healthy and have a fes bike of their own. Now the whole thing has come crashing down.

I do hope there will be some kind of word that parts will still be available or maybe the company will re-open. As soon as I find out anything, I will post it. I have been kind of under the weather lately, got a real bad infection in my leg and nearly lost it. Got out of the hospital last friday, am doing a lot better now, have a nurse come in to my house everyday to help out.
                "Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Thx, Jo & Curt.

Jo--one of the bikes at Courage Center is down, so I'm off of it for now. They are looking at alternatives. But, darn it. This just stinks. [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Curt--yikes! I'm glad you are on the mend, though.

Sue

Comment

Curt,
                    Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been having with your leg. I wish you well.

About the bike. The sad part about this is that there were 2 reasons that I went with the StimMaster over the Ergys. One reason was from what I heard about the computer chip in the Ergys and having to upgrade it occasionally, I didn't want anything to do with that. The second reason was bottom line I could get the StimMaster delivered to my door for 3 or 4 thousand dollars cheaper than the Ergys, and yet the StimMaster is way over priced. What does that say about the Ergys? You can get screwed, or you can get screwed more.
                    Yet I agree with you completely, the FES bike is our best source of real exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan M:

Thx, Jo & Curt.

Jo--one of the bikes at Courage Center is down, so I'm off of it for now. They are looking at alternatives. But, darn it. This just stinks. [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Curt--yikes! I'm glad you are on the mend, though.

Sue

http://www.unite2fightparalysis.org

Dang, that sucks Sue. Why cant you use the other one that they have there? One of the bikes was down when Jess was there through December. Is it still down? I was counting on Jesse being able to use that bike until his from BCBS came through. You know, you can come out to Gaylord and ride his. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Some ships sail east, some ships sail west, both by the same breeze blown. It is the set of the sail and not the gail that determines the direction blown.

Comment

Jo,
                        The other bike is working, but the folks in traditional PT get to use it before the stay fit clients. I spoke to Judy G. at Courage yesterday. They are trying very hard to get it going. Thanks for the offer to use Jesses. I might just take you up on that if the bike isn't fixed soon at Courage.

Sue

Comment

I wonder why there was no information given obout the closing. I bet they have addresses for their customers. Why no warning at all?

Comment

I have been doing some research about what happened and what the future holds. I have heard a Rumor that Dr. Macdonald and Patrick Rummersfeld are in fact going to come up with their own FES bike at a very decent price within the next six months, talk of this goes back about four years. I understand it is an incarnation of the Stimmaster so that would be the answer for parts and technical info regarding people who had existing Stimmaster FES bikes, lets all hope this is true. I heard it from a very good source.

The Electrologic Website is still up, but they are definately out of business. You still get the same message when you call that the mailbox is full. I understand things went very wrong with the Company towards the end. Bikes were being shipped defective, they had real problems.

Anyhow, I will keep everyone up to date, I am going to contact Dr. Macdonalds office and see if I can get some information.

The good news is that the Stimmasters when right are normally pretty reliable. I have had mine over 4 years and never a problem yet, knock on wood, the scary thing is though if something does break I am going to have to try and track down the source of the part and that could get into a lot of time and research. It is a shame things have turned out this way. From what I understand, most of the parts from the Theraputic alliances bike are not interchangeable with the Stimmaster, another unfortunate thing.
                            "Life is about how you
                            respond to not only the
                            challenges you're dealt but
                            the challenges you seek...If
                            you have no goals, no
                            mountains to climb, your
                            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff:

I wonder why there was no information given obout the closing. I bet they have addresses for their customers. Why no warning at all?
                              QUOTE]

Yes, they had my address, my home, work, cell and fax numbers, and the doctor's address. Would have been nice to be given notice since I've spent the last year trying to get all the ducks in a row to get this thing for him. Just a postcard would have been nice. Sigh.....

~~~Honesty is the best policy~~~Treat others as you would like to be treated~~~Play hard, but play fairly~~~
                              "I just want you to know, it was the best time ever." J.F.F.

Comment

what are those people's options that got one of the defective bikes? or are there none and they are just screwed?

Comment

Working...
                                X