• Time
  • Show
Clear All

bump for Amber
    Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Maybe I missed it, but Christopher what kind of bike do you have? I'm looking at some, but wanted to know what everyone else is riding first.
      If there is light
      it will find
      you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have a Top End Excelerator I bought from www.bike-on.com . It's a good beginner bike for quads. I want to get out more lately, but my dog hurt his paw and it's been 95 every day up here I've still been getting out a bit though.
        www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

a good first bike

Is the Top End XLT, thats what I started with. Scott at Bike on sells some good quad grips that will go on that bike.

I am Up to a Varna Speedbike and a Freedom Rider Stage rider at this point after riding for eight years.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

As I said earlier, Quickie Shark S for me after riding an Excellerator XLT (good starter). Hey Christopher, just went for a 60 km ride today, a bit tired now ...
            Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

The XLT Pro is also a good bike for quads. The only problem is you have to take your hands off of cranks to brake. To fix this problem I had Andy from Bike-On build a chin break.

All you have to do is lean forward and hit it with your chain. It is very easy to use, and you don't have to move your hands.

Putting the gear shifters above the cranks is a nice modification. They are easy to get to and easy to use.

http://www.bike-on.com/speedzone/QuadPro.htm
              Last edited by Justin S; 23 Jul 2005, 9:54 PM.
              c6/7 complete

Comment

On the XLT

With the 7 speed, you just backpedal to stop and dont have to take your hands off the pedals, plus it is a couple hundred bucks less, good bike if you dont have too many hills, the 24 speed offers more gearing combinations such as for hills.
                "Life is about how you
                respond to not only the
                challenges you're dealt but
                the challenges you seek...If
                you have no goals, no
                mountains to climb, your
                soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

The Yahoo Handcyclists group is also a good place to get information about hand cycling.
                  c6/7 complete

Comment

How many of you out there have had problems with traffic? I´m coming across more and more situations where car drivers are either not seeing me, or are just driving around in a fog. I find myself driving more and more on the sidewalks when no bike paths are around just for safety reasons. You should always bike defensively that´s for sure, but it´s starting to get ridiculous!
                    "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Originally posted by Mike C
                      How many of you out there have had problems with traffic? I´m coming across more and more situations where car drivers are either not seeing me, or are just driving around in a fog. I find myself driving more and more on the sidewalks when no bike paths are around just for safety reasons. You should always bike defensively that´s for sure, but it´s starting to get ridiculous!
                      Really avoiding city with heavy traffic, almost always on exclusive bike path (meaning taking my car to go where I will be biking). A long orange rod and flag came with the bike but I am not crazy about going around with it (never put it on yet to be honest).
                      Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Comment

With my bike being a Top End Excelerator XLT which is recumbent, I never ride on the road always on bike paths and sidewalks. I live in a pretty small town and no one has said anything to me, nor do I think they will. It is obvious that none of the SUV drivers are going to see me, especially in this little college town. I do not have a little flag on my bike, but we did joke around about getting one of those big orange triangle slows signs we put on our tractors.
                        www.cawvsports.org
                        The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                        We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Advice Needed

Howdy. I've been handcycling around here with a group called BORP. So I have been borrowing their handcycles and I am thinking of getting my own now. I see some used ones at bike-on.com, but I don't know enough about handcycling to buy one sight unseen. I have a few questions that I am hoping Curt, PatD, Christopher, or anybody else can answer.

The chair I use has a 15" seat. Could I use a 14" seat on a handcycle? How hard is it to put a wider seat on one?

I haven't ridden a bike with a lower cassette and derailer. I'm guessing that means no coaster brake and you have to be able to grasp a hand brake?

Top End XLT http://www.bike-on.com/classifieds/AdD01-281.htm

Top End XLTPro http://www.bike-on.com/classifieds/AdD01-295.htm

Top End Gold http://www.bike-on.com/classifieds/AdD01-294.htm

Thanks y'all!

Comment

Skip, I've recently ordered a new XLT Gold from Bike-on.com so I've done a bit of research on all this. I'll take a shot at your questions.

You will have to shift the lower cassette, and the upper chainring on the crankset. I recall that you are much like me .. a working left hand and a less-than-functional right. Andy at Bike-on is putting a Shimano brake/shifter combo on the left grip, and one of their C5 grips on the right. I'll shift the chainring with a lever right in front of me. They have been great in helping me figure out what will work, so feel free to ask them questions. They've built bikes that someone with no hand function can ride. Check out their Quad Pro Magic for example.

Also, while I don't think that an inch of width difference would be a problem, they can let you know about seat-changing options too.

Regarding the bikes you posted links to: the first one, the white XLT Pro, I would suggest you avoid. It is a "fixed frame" unit, meaning the seat and seatback positioning has been custom built for the previous owner. You wouldn't be able to adjust the seating position, so unless you are the same size as the previous owner, you could be unhappy.

The red XLT Pro is a good bike, as is the Gold. They're similar, but the Gold has a lower crank position which requires trunk control. You can get more power with the lower crank because your upper body gets into the act .. it's the sort of setup many racers use. Also, the seating position is more upright, though you can get the higher-backed seat like the Pro on the Gold, which is what I did. A bit more comfort, maybe a bit less performance. I do have trunk strength, not normal, but enough to ride this bike.

Justin mentioned the Yahoo Handcyclists group. There has been a lot of discussion about the differences between the Gold and the Pro there, so check that out.

I expect to get my bike in about two weeks. I will post pictures and riding impressions when I get it. Can't wait, actually!

Comment

Thank you Bruce!

Bruce, Thank you for the great information. Those guys at bike-on.com do know their stuff and they are certainly nice.

Comment

I am a member of challenged athletes of West Virginia, and we are doing a fundraising bike race August 6. The Greenbrier challenge is a 52 mile event, with most people doing it in a relay format. Their rules are the same as for the snow skiing event I do with them, you have to have one female and one disabled participant on your team. Lucky for our team I fit both criteria. They added a 5K this year to get more people to feel like they can participate. They can also do a run/walk with it if they do not bike. This year I'm going to do the 5K next year, I want to do one or two legs of the four relays. Anyway to the exciting part, ESPN has expressed interest to come up and film part of it and to do interviews with us. The president of CAWV put me on the list of people to be interviewed. How cool is that I might be on national TV.
                                www.cawvsports.org
                                The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                                We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Working...
                                X