Handcycling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce - thanks for the links.
    I hope I can get on the road again - my old mountain bike is just rusting up!

Comment

The bike in the picture that is posted was designed by engineer students at Virginia Tech (GO HOKIES!!) The one that I got as a graduation present which is similar we ordered through www.Bike-on.com . They guys there are great both Andy and Scott. I've seen bikes that you sit in and pedal with your feet, but would have to do a search to find them.

www.cawvsports.org
      The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
      Don Juan Matus
      www.cawvsports.org
      The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
      We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

chastev8, it takes a fair amount. I can walk and did ok on level ground. There were some gentle grades where I was riding, and they got a bit tough and I'd have to gear down and go slow. Don't know what the limit for me is. There is also a model of the Sidewinder with a small electric motor to assist on the hills. I'd say you need pretty strong quads plus some hamstrings and glutes at least to make it work.

Aly, so are you a Hokie? I visited Virginia Tech last summer. A good friend of mine is a professor there. Beautiful place!

Comment

does anybody know of a good organization that I can maybe get a loaner handcycle to try out? I've never tried one and would love to do so. I am now in an ideal neighborhood to get great use out of one. but, I'd really like to get a loaner first and see if handcycling is something I could learn to love.

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
          - Alan Kay

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
          - Alan Kay

Comment

Bruce - I was born and raised a Hokie. I do not attend school there but my grandfather graduated from VT. I have never lived more than 30 minutes from the stadium and remember attending games when we were lucky to end the season with a 2-8 record. Obviously, I've been stoked with the success of the team since the early to mid-nineties, although the players need to get their stuff together quit making stupid mistakes off the field.

Amanda - is there any kind of disabled sports organization in your area? I snow ski with an organization that is about 3 1/2 hours away from us, and my family and I have been very active in supporting them, they are the ones that let me borrow the bike that there is a picture posted in this thread. It only to me twice to be on the bike to know this was something I liked, even though I was not very strong at the time. It also only took me this long to know what needed to be changed and modified. If I can find the magazine I will send you the different organizations that deal in handbikes that they have listed, maybe if you gave them a deposit they would let you try one out for little while. It is definitely a way to get very good exercise that doesn't feel like an exercise regiment.

www.cawvsports.org
            The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
            Don Juan Matus
            www.cawvsports.org
            The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
            We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda:

does anybody know of a good organization that I can maybe get a loaner handcycle to try out? I've never tried one and would love to do so. I am now in an ideal neighborhood to get great use out of one. but, I'd really like to get a loaner first and see if handcycling is something I could learn to love.

- Alan Kay
              Contact your local SCI rehab hospital and see if they have a recreational therapy dept. The hospital I went to does loan them out, and I borrowed one last year.

_____
              Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.
              Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda:

- Alan Kay
                your local dme dealer should have demo bikes, i know before i bought mine i used theres for a week

"Man is bound to follow the adventurous promptings of his scientific and inventive mind and to admire himself for his splendid achievements" Carl Jung
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

OK, so what do people here do to keep themselves cool in the heat? I went out yesterday, it was about 80 degrees outside, which isn't bad but I know it's gonna get warmer. I rinsed my shirt out with cold water before leaving and keep my camelback in the fridge overnight, with a couple bottles extra for the dog. About a gallon of water on my back. Ugh.

Any other suggestions? I need a spray bottle... maybe shove some ice paks down my shorts? Go riding in the mornings and evenings?

Babies, before we're done here, y'all be wearin' gold plated diapers!
                  www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

My wife came back from Costco the other week with a spray system for me to try. It's a water bottle with a pressure pump built into the cap. At the end of the 36" tube which comes out of the bottle can be found a valve and a nozzle. When you pump up the bottle and open the valve you get a nice MIST! You only have to pump up the bottle once.

Anyway, I've mounted the bottle with zip-tyes onto my bike and routed the hose up to the cranks. While pedalling it's easy to open the valve and mist yourself! It cools better than throwing water on your face and somehow lasts longer. I have yet to run the bottle out of water, but I'm keeping it! Warmer weather is coming. Pat

Comment

What you need is a spray bottle man,or maybe try shoving some ice packs down your shorts.Have you thought about maybe cycling in the mornings or evenings?..are you a mad dog or englishman,if not stay the hell out of the midday sun...or maybe what you could try is a little more cowbell!

Comment

Good idea Patd!

I like answering my own questions, it keeps the leprechauns in my head quiet and well behaved. Hey there's a statue of Robby Burns downtown, would you like a pic?

www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Theres a statue of Robbie Burns in downtown Montreal?..Really?..Will i'll be damned,ya give us a pick..

~~Somewhere between happiness and sadness,i need calculate,what creates my own madness~~

Comment

Pat, I picked up one of those last time I was in the states. It´s called a MistyMate. It works great. We just had a mini-heat wave come through (close to 100 F or 37 C) and that MistyMate kept me cool while I was handcycling.

"So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer
                            "So I have stayed as I am, without regret, seperated from the normal human condition." Guy Sajer

Comment

Anyone rode the new Quickie Shark yet? I'm wondering how it rides compared to, say, the Top End XLT Pro.

Comment

So, I feel pretty tough today. Fueled mostly by cigarettes, alcohol, and Quaker Chewy Bars, I just did the Tour de L'Isle . Well, ALMOST to the end. I quit after 45 km(30 miles) in 30c (90farenheit) heat. It just got too much, and it was all uphill the rest of the way. But man, do I feel good! I ditched my dog at around 10km and got to feel some real speed. Woo Hoo! 40km an hour baby!

And I just gotta give a shout out to my friend George. This hard drinkin', hard smokin' SOB has taken it upon himself to come over and kick my ass every Sunday. Thanks George!

St. John's to Tofino baby! IT'S ON!!!

www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Working...
                                X