biking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

biking

L5-s1 inc. i use crutches and leg braces to walk, but it realy wipes me out, and lots of pain. i got a trike though, and can go about an hour before i have to quit. hand bike even longer. getting some tone!!! but got a sore on my tailbone. so waiting to heal. anyone try it? I was hit five years ago, so I stay on the sidewalk. its really much easyer than pushing a chair.and walmart doesnt mind if i shop with it. maybe because thats where i left from when the drunk hit me. anyway, any bikers out there?

Jody, what kind of trike do you have and where did you get it? I'm thinking about trying it. Sort of afraid about getting a flat and not having my crutches but will worry about that after I get a bike. Thanks.

T12 Incomplete - Walking with Walker, Oct 2003
    T12 Incomplete - Walking with Crutches, Injured in Oct 2003

Comment

ez1 makes some lower pricer trikes
      recumbent trikes put less pressure on the tailbone area. trike
      1 size fits all Red or Blue

EZ-3 Trike $725
      21-Speeds + Front 16x1.75, Rear 20x1.75 BW Kenda Kontact

[This message was edited by metronycguy on 07-25-04 at 09:23 AM.]
      cauda equina

Comment

mike c . you could probably rig a crutch carrier behind the seat, 1 side open ended short cylinder that would attach to rear rack axle attachment and to rear of seat also .
        always can put flags on crutches to aid in visibility too.
        cauda equina

Comment

Thanks Metro - do you ride a trike? If memory serves me correctly you have bowel problems similar to me. Do you find that riding a trike increases that problem?

Comment

I will accept delivery of my handcycleon Wednesday so I will be happy to log my progress. I've never used one before but I have spent this past year in my chair for trying to figure a way to burn calories. I also like the fact that the bike, ridden in my neighborhood, will do for me what my Golden retriever - force me to get out and meet people! With a handcycle - a disability is NOT obvious - won't that be a nice change [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC:

Thanks Metro - do you ride a trike? If memory serves me correctly you have bowel problems similar to me. Do you find that riding a trike increases that problem?Walker, Oct 2003
              i ride a recumbent bicycle. i have a foot drop but i can clear the toes enough not to need a AFO so far. also weak ankle /no working soleous muscle, i use an ankle brace.
              i can actually clip in now and clip out, using bebop clip less pedals, no springs to overcome, just rotation. took me over a year before i could use clip less,
              i do not know if the bike makes the bowels worse?
              i have been trying the fiber con , and i still have at least 5 or 6 bowel movements a day. 8 on some days, all firm, but i know if i try colace i will crap my self. i am always looking for a bathroom. i believe the recumbent seating position on the trike or bike will make you have to cath or pee more.
              i was cathing when i first started back on the recumbent bicycle, and i would have to cath almost every hour. my thought was the bottom bracket on my first recumbent was high and it kept my legs higher than my hips, which caused all the blood flow to the kidneys, and more urine produced, plus i was on 3200mg a day of neurontin so the cycling probably pumped the edema out of my legs also..
              the trike i sent you pictures of has a lower bottom bracket and should be easier on the bladder filling up
              cauda equina

Comment

cauda equina?

Originally posted by jody lynn:

L5-s1 inc. i use crutches and leg braces to walk, but it realy wipes me out, and lots of pain.
                jodi do u hve cauda equina ? i do i have l4/5..l5/s1
                cauda equina

Comment

Thanks metro and fotogrl. I would be interested in how you do on your handcycle fotogrl. I really need to get to the gym and see if I can ride a stationary recumbent (I worry about my ankle braces) and if I can then get a trike so I can get out more also.

Comment

Metro, fibercon alone didn't change anything in my bowels either (I was using Metamucil before). It's when I added immodium that things changed. I take at least one immodium a day and I've eliminated accidents and have cut my bathroom visits to 4 per day. Don't know if you tried immodium.

Comment

foogirl great news on your handcycle.
                      mie c , i notice a side effect from ultram for pain is it helps with the bowels too, i should try the immodioun
                      cauda equina

Comment

ez3 and a traditional old folks criuser which my dog rides too. in answer to a earlyer question yes, cauda equina. my tail bone was crushed and pelvic ligaments torn. also crushed vert at L5s1.

Comment

so its the biken made my butt go into overdrive???!! I thought it was the new mexican place next door to the gym.

Comment

I take my sticks along. bungee chords. or a crutch holder. also, my braces dont get in the way. and keep my ankles stable. i use velcro tie straps to hold my feet on the pedals. one leg does most of the work.

Comment

maybe the biking does increase the movement of the stools through the intestines..
                              the nice things about recumbent bike/trikes is they put the feet forward and not in the dependent position , probably help pump the edema out.

i find that clipless pedals work much better than regular pedals for me. i was using a new bike yesterday that had regular pedals , and my weak foot kept falling off . since i have enough movement from my upper leg/knee to twist the foot sideways over 20 degrees the springless clipless pedals work great for me.
                              it took me a while before i could go to the clipless, but the pulling motion from the hamstring muscle is utilized.
                              i ride recumbent bike without pain now.
                              cauda equina

Comment

Working...
                              X