Electro pads for abs, back muslces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electro pads for abs, back muslces

OKay for those who don't have a FES or cannot obtain one. What's the best device to get your ab muscles working again.
    I know they have those pads not sure the name of the device. But you attach them to your chest, abs, legs, whatever the target area. Then the device sends a electrical charge which helps warn away atrophy.

What's the best one to get? Brand? What are crucial features i should have.
    Thank you so much. I am trying to stay as healthy as I can doing anything in my power.

varian

Hi Varian,

The commercial machines aren't effective at reducing atrophy or maintaining tone in paralytic muscles. Most have been pulled from the market by the FDA due to false claims of effectiveness. If money is the issue, you may be able to substitute a FES with a TENS machine. They're used primarily for pain reduction but do produce a current that may be sufficient enough for you although it will be weaker than what a FES unit is capable of. Electrologic manufactures the Neuropulse portable FES unit. EMS offers several less expensive models.

[This message was edited by seneca on 05-13-04 at 12:55 AM.]

Comment

thank you SEneca that's good to know. I am not sure what a tens machine is. But i'll research it. As soon as I get out of rehab or towards the end i am going to try my hardest to get a FES machine. hell if i stay healthy at 27. My insurance costs will go down significantly..

Comment

Varian, I got a portable e-stim device from a company called Pain Technology. The device I have is called an EMS 1000. Here's a link.

Seneca mentioned a tens unit, which are used for pain. This company also produces tens units, but I don't know how effective one of those would be for muscle stimulation. The EMS unit works .. I used it to recover some of my muscles, most notably my right hamstring, which was a grade 1 (palpable contraction but no movement) when I started e-stimming it, and is now a grade 4 (movement against resistance).

The unit comes with self-adhesive electrodes and everything you need to get started. If you are working with a physical therapist now, it might help to learn from him or her about exact electrode placement. You want to place them on either side of the muscle belly. I also have a link to a good anatomy web site somewhere .. I will find that and post it here later.

Good luck in your recovery!

- Bruce

Comment

Thanks Projector, I wrote EMT, meant to say EMS, I corrected it.

Comment

TRY the NEURO PLUSE 2
            Jake's Pop

Comment

I am from Vancouver Washington and I have been injured for 7 years now. i have been using an EMS machine. Go to WWW.neurocare.com. This has been working great for me. I have very little atrophy.

Comment

Hiya

I just bid on an "Ab Lounge" on Ebay. Check it out

Eric Texley
                Eric Texley

Comment

I purchased an EMS machine back in 1988. It has 10 leads and 20 electro pads, I use it everyday but it is old and I will have to buy a new one. The name of my machine is "The BX 1000" and it is sold by Bloomex in New Jersey.

http://www.bloomex.com/flashv.html

PN
                  The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
                  --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
                  ––Paul Nussbaum
                  usc87.blogspot.com

Comment

this might be a retarded question but what is atrophy??
                    [img]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Rae-Muscle atrophy is wasting of muscle, decrease in muscle mass.

Can using something like FES, etc actually decrease atrophy enough to make a visible difference? That may be a silly question. But, can it make a difference in a quad gut pooching out?

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.
                      Franklin D. Roosevelt
                      "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
                      - Alan Kay

Comment

Amanda, yes, FES can reverse atrophy (or generate hypertrophy, it's opposite). There are a number of FES bike riders that can attest to that.

Additionally, in my time at the University of Florida, I met a guy who does strength research with SCI people. He showed me some MRI pictures of cross-sections of the thigh of one of his research subjects, a guy with a complete mid-T injury. The study had the subjects do e-stim assisted leg extensions, with the e-stim on the quadriceps. At the start of the study, his thigh muscle had a cross-sectional area of 19 square centimeters. After the 14-week study, he was 34 square centimeters. He continued doing the exercises, and at six months, he was 56 square centimeters! Interestingly, even though he was only stimming his quads, in the last MRI you could see hypertrophy of the hamstrings as well.

With respect to the abs, I don't know of anyone who has used e-stim to get rid of quad gut. Darn it! [img]/forum/images/smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Maybe someone else out there can show me wrong! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

- Bruce

Comment

Does anyone have a link to a chart showing good placement for electrode pads to stimulate various muscle groups?

Thanks.
                          _____oOo_____
                          Phil C6
                          "If you can't explain it to me in less than 10 seconds, it's probably not worth knowing anyway..." - Calvin

Comment

AO
                            heres a link to a chart
                            http://www.neuropulse.com/images/page4a.jpg

DIGG.
                            DIGG.

Comment

Working...
                            X