No announcement yet.

Walking Paras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The description of incomplete/complete totally confuses me.

If the injury is complete (ASIA A), I'd imagine that only means that the person has no bowel control or sensation in the "saddle" area, and has no bearing on what other returns the T12 person gets back.

I'm pretty sure I'm still an ASIA A (no anal "wink" and no light tough nor pin prick sensory in the anal area) so I'm still considered "complete" as far as my physiatrist is concerned.

My neurosurgeon's diagnosis was "incomplete paraplegia" but I'm not sure if that incomplete meant I have some use of my legs, or if I might get some returns. I am getting back sensory and motor post-injury (I'm now 2 months post-injury).

And I've made it from wheelchair to rolling-walker and yesterday was able to start practicing with 2 wide-based canes (did about 40+ feet...slowly).

I'm not sure what bent meant in terms of 100% impossible, cuz I fully intend on walking again.
    Daniel

Comment

My daughter is T5 incl. and took her first steps at about 4 months post and I DID answer the poll.

It's been almost 17 months now. She walks with a walker and is starting to use arm crutches during therapy.

She walks in school between classes. Walks from the house to the car and visa versa. She gets aqua therapy twice a week at the local YMCA. Our goal is to progress to crutches and then to a cane. She still doesn't trust her steps and balance, so she perfers a walker at this point. But refuses to use walker in public (only in school).
      Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

rickhemi - i think that makes your daughter a walking para.

Is there debate on functional walking and non-functional walking as well?
        Daniel

Comment

I'm T4-T6 complete. Trained with KAFO's and elbow crutches. It was real hard work because there was no gait, just lifting and swinging. My PT ultimately changed me to a walker because if I fell I would never get up with the crutches whereas I could pull myself back up with the walker.
          The cost / benefit of effort required to put on the KAFO's and then use the walker isn't there for me (although I will try again only to stand).

What I would really like to see is Bladder/Bowel function restoration.
          The chair I can deal with.

Cheers!
          Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

Hey Sailor<hmmm, that just don't sound right,lol>
            U say u are a complete? Did all your muscles atrophy below injury, I mean GONE?
            Got any pics of you standing with the walking gear on?
            I tried leg braces and paralell bars 5 or 6 mos after my injury but couldn't get it to work. I am a LOT stronger now though in my arms. If you got pics, post'em! I'll make me some braces and try. I figured it would never work though. Plus, that is what they told me after 2 weeks trying.
            You got me all kinds of interested! Heck, I don't worry about looking purrrty doing it, I just wanna leave this chair behind! But I'm curious about your condition and mine being equal before I go falling and making things worse,lol.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

Try these guys

Capn,

Check this link out, http://www.polymedic.com.au and click on The WalkAbout link at the top. They make a set of calipers that require little arm strength and by the looks of the pictures may help you get out of the chair. I have considered them myself (T5/T6 Complete) and have looked at a place in the UK that supply and train on them.

Comment

Hey man, Thanks for the link! Let me know what you find out about their willingness to let you try them. I have not been in any contact with docs or rehabs since shortly after my accident in 96. There is a good one near here in Knoxville(about 1.5 hrs away) that I suppose I could try. Funding is the biggy for me.
                I still am not sure that anyone would begin to assume that a T4 comp would STAND a chance using them<pun intended>. I really had a hard time convincing TIRR to let me try braces on paralell bars back then. It was only becaused I pushed them HARD with a nice attitude that they allowed it. Even then, they naysayed me the whole 2 weeks I was there.I was in really weak physical condition then also. Much better than that now. ANYWAY, if I could find out anyone who is in the same physical shape as me sucessfully uses them, THAT would be all I need I would think.
                If you find out about anyone let me know asap!! Thanks again bud,
                John

Comment

t4 comp, able to using rolling walker and kafos pretty easily , went 150+ ft the other day, forearm crutches are a dif story. never tried rgos

f
                  ight

Comment

I'm an incomplete T4-6. It's been 11 months since my injury, (Jan 2005) and I have progressed to walking with a straight cane. I haven't yet been able to walk outside alone--psychologically, I need someone walking with me--but with extensive PT (three hours 5 days a week) I have recovered enough function that I can live independently at college. When I come back from break, I will drop the wheelchair I had been using to get across campus this semester, and walk full time.
                    "Leela, you look beautiful. Incidentally, my favorite artist is Picasso."

Comment

Originally posted by donz
                      t4 comp, able to using rolling walker and kafos pretty easily , went 150+ ft the other day, forearm crutches are a dif story. never tried rgos
                      Hey Don, Can you post some pics of your KAFOS?
                      I was convinced we couldn't do it until I heard different in this thread.
                      I got to thinking yesterday about the crutches, figure I'll need a rolling walker also.
                      I'm psyched about this, if I can't get a rehab to help me, gonna try it on my own.

Keep at it Pianodave, you're doing great. I was afraid for over a year of breaking something falling. So I know where you are coming from.
                      Last edited by CapnGimp; 18 Dec 2005, 1:20 AM.

Comment

the kafos i use arent evene made for me. they belong to the rehab, but im getting some made http://www.creativeoandp.com/images/...emity/KAFO.jpg
                        look like that except the unlocking and locking mechanism is a a little bar that if u sit down and hit it against the mat or whatever it unlocks.. someone will have the real name for it , but yea u just need to learn how to balance with minimal pressure on the upper body so u can take rest from time to time, than u can learn to go forever..IMO

f
                        ight

Comment

I'm not a para, but I'm dating one, and so I replied for him. He's super!

Comment

I'm not a para, but I'm dating one, and so I am replying for him. He's super! He has not yet regained walking after 3 years.

Comment

As per request of
                              Originally posted by CapnGimp on 12-15-2005, 02:14 AM
                              Hey Sailor<hmmm, that just don't sound right,lol>
                              ...snip...
                              If you got pics, post'em! I'll make me some braces and try.
                              ...snip...
                              ...done!
                              You can find them in the LaoziSailor and KAFO thread.
                              [PS. I will be updating that with more pictures later today, 12-22-2005]
                              Han Tacoma

~ Artificial Intelligence is better than none! ~

Comment

Any new walking para's?
                                Birds Fly in Flocks, but Eagles Fly Alone...

Comment

Working...
                                X