Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im curious if theres any way id prolong recovery but moving certain ways. T12 incomplet, walking w came, right ankle has little movement. Im doing as much as i can and dont wwant to set myself back any.

Thanks
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Comment

• Thumb up!! You go!!!
      Search and Find Your Answers.

Comment

• C3/C4 incomplete 10 months out. I use a treadmill with a harness for safety (used to carry some of my weight) along with an engine puller (cherry picker) out in my garage. Works fantastic. Added motorcycle handle bars for some style, instead of the treadmill bar.
        Also use LiveStrong recumbent stationery bike. Bolted over the ankle tennis shoes to the pedals, as hard time keeping my feet on the bike even with the plastic covers it came with. Shoes works great. Slide my feet in (others put them in), then start peddling. Like the idea of using my arms while pedaling, for heart rate to go up more.

Starting 2nd month of pool therapy. Excellent results. Am now able to walk in the shallow (3 feet) end of therapy pool (93 degrees) and practicing walking up and down special pool stairs. Usually use the lift to get in the pool still though. Highly recommend pool therapy - good results for many.

Also go to the gym once a week and workout legs & arms for one hour. Alot slower, hard to get in some machines, but a buddy helps me - getting stronger though. Also lift hand weights (5 lbs.) at home. Started with 1 lb. weights.

Get stretched out daily for one hour to keep me more limber. Helps a lot.
        Keep moving forward

Comment

• Also walk with walker - would love to get to the cane mode in future. That'd be awesome. Walk about 30 minutes or more per day. Someone follows me in my powerchair in case I need to rest.
          Keep moving forward

Comment

• http://youtu.be/lYptcvNX9Oc

getting at it with all my heart! T10 incomplete injury date Jan 8th 2010.

Working on it!

Comment

• Originally posted by pbryant22 View Post
              http://youtu.be/lYptcvNX9Oc

getting at it with all my heart! T10 incomplete injury date Jan 8th 2010.

Working on it!
              awesome work pbryant!! Can you tell me the name of the braces that you use?? thank you........

Comment

• Without searching here, is there anything anyone is doing in regards to the coordination of the mental, neurological, visual and physical? When we get injured, the physical is immediately incorrect with this coordination. I have been making tremendous progress by removing the visual as well as the physical. Close eyes, lay on bed and see if I can even think my way through trying to do something simple - di I even feel any sensation. Forget about actual movement. Need to first be feeling it. Essentially I have tried to go back to being a baby or even not yet born. This takes a lot of time. I cannot expect to move a leg if all of the components above my leg to my brain and not doing what they are required. Our bodies essentially are hard wired computers. Yes they do accept wireless data.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	november 2012 005.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2657371 Trying to upload this photo. Testing.
                  Keep moving forward

Comment

• Made a homemade treadmill exercise. Got an engine puller, borrowed from a buddy. Bought treadmill harness online just like at my rehab place I went to. Works great. Up to 2 mph so far. I'm C3/C4 incomplete. Can walk some, but cannot feels from chest down. Buddy put motorcycle bars on the treadmill because hard for my right hand to hold onto the regular treadmill handles. Just an idea.
                    Keep moving forward

Comment

• Hello Ramey,
                      it's been a number of years since this post, are you still active & can you share the PDF again.
                      Thanks,
                      Glue121

Comment

• Thank you so much for posting this eclipseme. What a creative set-up. The addition of the handlebars was genius.

Comment

• I'd like to hear how the gait training has been working since 2010.

Comment

• Originally posted by mattblan View Post
                            I'd like to hear how the gait training has been working since 2010.
                            To whom was your post addressed? If it was me, then the answer is great. Over the years I learned, adapted and expanded my recovery program. Slowly I regained connection but not feeling with some muscles. I "repurposed" some muscles to compensate for those that did not come back. Eventually I regained functional mobility enough to climb mountains (literally) and to ride my motorcycle around the world. Assisted gait training for me started with PNF, then FES, eventially to suspended gait apparatus. Much of my program was done in a progessive-loading sport training format to avoid the high medical industry costs that were not covered by my insurance. If there is interest I'll post examples of my detained training plans, equipment, schedules and results over a ten year period. Just never give up!

Comment

Working...
                            X