Best ways to strengthen triceps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best ways to strengthen triceps

So I'm about 6 weeks removed from surgery to alleviate a pinched nerve in my neck. It was at c7 and over the course of about 6 months it really decreased the muscle mass in my left tricep. So now I'm feeling good and ready to get as much back as I can. I have a handcycle and am eager to get on it. I'm thinking that overall, the handcycle might be the best option? It seems like it utilizes lots of the muscles throughout the arm and shoulder. Simple dips in my wheelchair seem like another great option, along with dumbbells to do tricep extensions. Any other suggestions or ideas to specifically target the tricep?

I have only slight muscles in left tricep and bicep. In addition to overall exercise in my chair, when I was in bed I used to point left elbow upward then with hand holding light weight, lift upward. It seems a wrist weight would work if grasp is difficult for someone.
    I also used wrist weights for various exercises done in my chair, in addition to using a race chair, hand cycle, weights on pulleys and therapy bands.
    These suggestions may not apply to your situation as I'm paralyzed, but not SCI; I am only able to do very light exercise now; thankfully I have not lost the tricep and bicep muscles I did have - I guess you'd say I maintained them.
    I loved my hand cycle and found it was great exercise and strength-building for my shoulders.
    Good luck with your program! P.S. I found some great wheelchair exercise routines on Youtube.

Comment

I use the cable machine at the gym, used in conjunction with active Hands gloves and there are numerous tricep exercises to be done on that machine. Dumbells are always a solid choice as well along with bands for strength training.

Like you, I have the handcycle, and whilst it's good I now use a rowing machine with the seat rail taken off. I find it gives me a far better workout than the bike.

Comment

Yeah, your chair dips are great! Overhead tricep extensions with the dumbbell Is another great exercise.
        You can also do it with stretch cords, if they are attached to the wall, behind you, your arms would straighten out, straight out in front of you, holding the stretch cords obviously.
        I follow a lot of great workout videos at ZukFitness.com

Comment

Working...
        X