Aqua Therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aqua Therapy

Spinal injury owner Has anybody had positive results from Aquatherapy, particularly spasticity to start with?

I did it many years ago and it seemed to do nothing then I tried it about 3 years ago and got a great result in that spasticity went away for a good while.
    ​​​​​

Just wondering what people with spinal injuries can say about it as I wonder if I was a one off?

I'm in the pool 3-4 times per week... walking, swimming and doing weight-bearing leg and core exercises. They consistently account for some of my best workouts of the week and have absolutely helped with spasticity, for me. I'm incomplete c5 - your milage may vary accordingly, but if you have the resources (i.e. a body of water and a safe way to spend some time in it), I say give it another shot.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Comment

I think any exercise is good, but swimming has always been near the top of the list.
      "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
      T5/6 complete

Comment

What pool temp works or doesn’t for you? I really feel like Goldilocks. If it feels even a bit cool, I get an edge of stiffness that makes it harder to move but if I go too hot then MS fatigue kicks in and I turn into a lump of mashed potatoes. I was shocked to get into an 87 degree pool after a year of being at home and feel a chill! The pool I went to a year ago was 85 and I was having occasional stiffness on days it drifted slightly cooler. I think I’m colder now from an additional year of atrophy. The very warm “therapy pools” used to be too warm but I guess I’ll try one again.

But your functional ability in the water is tremendously increased. I’m a huge fan. It’s rewarding, can provide some socializing. I didn’t start until after I got a Baclofen pump so can’t say about spasticity tho I don’t think I notice anything there except, like I said, a temporary increase if the water is cold.
        Last edited by Sheri; 10 Apr 2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X