Need advice on preventing pressure sores on handcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on preventing pressure sores on handcycle

I just got done healing a very stubborn pressure sore, that took almost a year and a half to completely heal. Needless to say, I want to avoid getting another one. I was using a roho on my handcycle (Top End Force G), with a stationary roller that allows me to bike at home and not on the move. The bike has a rocking motion where I think contributed to my butt rubbing and causing the skin to sheer off. My feet are not sitting on the feet hooks but rather I set it on the ground and strap my waist with the velcro strap. I've noticed my butt does a rocking motion in this position. Please any advice?? I live in Las Vegas, NV and if anyone is in the same zip code with experience in handcycle, it would be great to meet up.

I've rode since around 2004...to get BACK my health while having a bad pressure sore and staying in bed for months, per doctor's advice. Got fed up with laying around which IS NOT good for your health. I used a roho from the start, WHILE having said pressure sore. My health rapidly improved FAST as I began to ride farther each day. Felt better than I had in years and the wound began healing faster. This went on until wound healed and then I began using/trying different cushions. Went back to roho as I am a bag of bones Use it still, no problem. I would take that bike outside and ride instead of on a trainer...I could never get 'set' on a trainer, legs belong on the straps.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

If you are suspended properly in a roho, you can't shear the skin, I think they are the best/safest cushion out there.

Comment

That is great advice. What inch cushion is your roho? Not a special one correct, just a regular roho?

do you use the same roho for your chair as your cushion? I am a t12 complete. I am assuming your sore was on your sit bone like mine. How did you prevent your sore from further getting worse while starting up Handcycle again?

Comment

I use a 4 inch one, I am skin and bones. I ground out on anything less. Regular roho, now it's the 4 way one. Same cushions in my manual and power chairs as the handcycle. I use a 2 inch foam one in the truck for less than a few hours driving. And a 4 inch roho for long trips.
          My sore was on the right side, tunneled upward, after laying around in bed for a handful of months, two failed flap surgeries. I took charge and started getting up and riding, and got healthier, the wound healed from the outside, Dr didn't diagnose osteomyelitis-kept it from healing, eventually went to a wound doc get the diagnoses of osteo, he removed the bad bone and sewed it up. I was out of the horsepital 7 days later, stayed down except for eating, bathroom and bathing for a couple of weeks while doing iv antibiotics, then started sitting up regular again. No problems since. Loong story, well documented with pictures here, back before 2008.
          BTW, I started riding the handcycle BECAUSE of my wound. Borrowed the money from my sister to get it. Dr will kill ya with that "lay in bed" stuff.

Comment

I am skin and bones as well, I am pretty glad to hear you have been handcycling since 04. It's only been 5 years since my injury and am glad to hear your still exercising 17 years and going on strong with a similar injury level as mine. How do you prevent your butt from sliding forward in the handcycle as we both have no glutes? I can't seem to secure myself without adjusting myself every few minutes on a roho.

Have you done anything to reduce osteoporosis of your lower half?

Comment

I have an XLTpro, you sit upright, and I use the velcro lapbelt. I never feel totally seated in a chair or hand cycle, like I do in an automobile seat. I am often trying to reposition myself when riding. You cant do anything to prevent osteo when you are paralyzed, at least I can't. BUT, when I DO beak a bone, it heals fast, like before paralysis. So I quit getting excited about it years ago.

Comment

Working...
              X