question about replacing the cranks/handles on a UBE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about replacing the cranks/handles on a UBE

I have an old Schwinn Windjammer UBE and i'm wanting to replace the hand cranks with something new. I'm not very mechanical so I apologize for the na?ve questions.

Attached are the handles I want replaced. Can I assume I can just use a simple crank wrench as pictured below? Also does anybody have recommendations on where I could buy new hand cranks? Ideally I'm looking for ones that would be angled.

Attached Files

Come on Patrick Madsen - - was hoping you would have some advice for me.

Comment

Hughes, I'll take a look and see if I have any of the old Top End or Quickie handles. There's these from Top End at Bike On.https://bike-on.com/product/bike-on-...andcycle-grip/. Main thing to check for would be bolt size.
      You could call John at Bike-On to see if they have any old angled handles. Would help if you sent a photo close up of the handle and crank.

Could also contact Schwinn to see if they have angled handles.

Comment

Does this picture give you a better sense. Thank you as always for the help.

Comment

Photo where the handle attaches to the crank arms. The photo shows the cranks are already angled out a bit so only way to get more angle would be with the handles. I checked my parts box and didn't find any.

Are you trying to get more angle for wrist comfort? you could make a wedge that'll fit over the handles on it now. Could use hard foam or wood to make the wedge and secure with tape or handle bar bike wrap. Then you'd know if more angle of the grips is worth buying new ones. More angle throws the elbows out. You want a straight shape from the shoulders to the wrist with a slight break at the elbow so not over extending and as little up and down motion on the shoulders cranking if possible.
          Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 18 Feb 2021, 4:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X