Standing frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing frame question

Curious if anyone who has been injured for a significant amount of time began using a standing frame? I'm 26 years post, so I imagine my bones resemble twigs, and that a bone density scan would certainly be a prerequisite, but was curious if others that hadn't used a standing frame in years were safely able to?

Originally posted by landrover View Post
    Curious if anyone who has been injured for a significant amount of time began using a standing frame? I'm 26 years post, so I imagine my bones resemble twigs, and that a bone density scan would certainly be a prerequisite, but was curious if others that hadn't used a standing frame in years were safely able to?
    Maybe i'm not as smart but i have one and have been using it mindlessly for the past few years and my injury was in 1982! The only problem i had was not having the knee pads in precisely the correct spot and rubbed the skin off my knees.
    Last edited by crispy1981; 27 Apr 2020, 10:30 PM.

Comment

My wife (40 yrs post, C5/6) experimented using a standing frame for the first time recently and while she found it strenuous and caused dizziness, felt she was safe doing so. She gradually increased the standing angle, duration of use, and fastened a belt to secure her lateral hip position.
      I've (20 yrs post, C5/6) used a standing frame ('Easy Stand 6000 Glider') consistently (approx. 300x / year for 30-60 minutes) for 19 years, and consider it indispensable for weight bearing, pressure relief, stretching, circulation, upper body exercise, and psychological benefits.

Comment

I'm almost 47 years post injury and still use mine at least three times a week. Been standing since rehab so many years ago. Pre standing frames, I used a set of braces with an army web belt around my backside attached to a couple pegs on my work table.

I would imagin like SDS's wife, take it in small increments and perhaps do it in a rehab setting at first. For myself, I'd have a much harder time draggin' my sorry ass thru life if I couldn't in the least standup and stretch.

Comment

I am a C5/6, I started using a standing frame last fall at 45 years post SCI. The first thing I noticed was that it relieved the pain in my lower back. I generally suffer from stabbing knife like pain in the lumbar area. After 5 minutes standing I am relatively pain free for two days. The second thing I notice is that my feet hurt after 5 minutes of standing and remain sore for days. I am using the frame at the rehab clinic when time permits, 10 minutes is my longest.

My plan is to purchase a used standing bed or standing frame/table as soon as I can. It may take time, but I'm sure my feet will adjust to standing. It is worth it if only for the relief to my back.

Vitalgo Systems Total Lift Standing Bed. https://www.vitalgosys.com/

Comment

I’m a HUGE fan of my standing frame. Took a while to get into the swing, but the results are so beneficial that I’m now addicted. Yes, my low back pain is gone. I try to do some core work while I’m in it and think I may have improved core a bit. The big thing is just the RELIEF of getting an unbeatable stretch. I’m so much more comfortable and maybe even a bit more coordinated after I get out. I do four stands per day of 1/2 hour each. Definitely get the front tray and face it toward your window and tv. I also appreciate the wider transfer seat option. I’m in it w iPad and cup of tea right now. Had the foot pain from using it but got some really good tho cheap arch support insoles new on eBay. I love powerstep pro, which are supposedly only from podiatrists but I got for $30 on eBay. You can get powerstep pinnacle on amazon. I also wear an evo soft brace all day on the ankle of the painful heel. I don’t wear shoes anymore so I keep my standing shoes, an oversized pair of extra depth Velcro closed w the insoles in, sitting on my frame seat and only wear to stand. Because they’re big shoes, I can keep Velcro closed and slip on. Pretty sure that the arch support nixed the pain. Good luck!
            Last edited by Sheri; 24 May 2020, 6:10 PM.

Comment

I agree Sheri, there's nothing like a good stretch and workout while standing. I have hooks in the ceiling above my frame and attached Therabands for an overhead work out while standing and also attached Therabands down low to do curls and lower arm workouts while standing.

Comment

Oooh, interesting! Have amassed loads of therabands over the years. Probably can’t get to the ceiling but the lower option will work

Comment

I developed 3 stage4 for bedsores 2015-6, I could literally not go on the standing frame for fear of skin damage for close to four years.
                  I posed the same question and was told I should get a bone density check. I got a prescription from my doctor for the x-ray. Then COVID-19 hit,
                  Last edited by Tim C.; 18 Jul 2020, 1:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X