Transfer between power chair and manual chair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by triumph View Post
    One reason I have thought to figure this out for myself is IF I ever went to a vehicle with wheelchair in the driving position, it would make sense to install the lockdown on a power chair, as my everyday chair must remain capable of using my ZX1 which docks right onto the camber bar.
    That's not gonna happen in my lifetime, but interesting to think about.
    Dare to dream! My approach to this conundrum is committing myself to transferring from either chair to a transfer seat in the van, rather than chair to chair. That transfer has proved much more manageable in my limited experience - I can get much closer at a pretty good angle.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

Comment

Have you perfected that yet: transfer to van seat? It's all in finding your own safe technique.

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post
        Have you perfected that yet: transfer to van seat? It's all in finding your own safe technique.
        Perfected? No, but while taking lessons in a rental van to get my new adaptive license I got pretty comfortable. When this crisis is behind us, I'll get my van converted so that I can drive it and will probably have to relearn it all over again!

Comment

Chair to chair transfers are some of the toughest I am a para but 35 years post and old
          i have just recently switched to using both power and manual so had same dilemma. Here is how I worked it out I made a simple transfer station in my garage I put a grab bar parallel to floor about shoulder height for me in my chair I like to be up against a wall so I lose the fear of falling forward like I do in open space I had an ultra slick board but now use a board that is only about 1/4 inch thick.
          i park both chairs at an angle and try to mesh the front ends together so I can use a regular length board. I get out to the edge of one chair and get my lead foot onto the footplate of chair I am going into then it’s just kind of a pull and slide if I do it well getting board out is easy if I mess up board can be underneath me and hard to get out but it’s better than being on the floor.
          s
          So I don’t know if this will work for you but just wanted you to know that it took me a while y
          to get confident and now seems pretty easy and as far as you using the long board I think that would be a lot harder I get aggressive to make sure I get close and chairs have to be just right as far as how far from wall and best angle
          Hope it helps somebody

Comment

pete4sake Thanks for spelling this out. Sounds like you've developed the type of process I'll need if I'm to do this safely. I never expected that would be so complicated! I figured I was just missing an obvious path to doing it easily. How close are you able to get your chairs to one another? The front casters on my permobil are making it really tough for me to get even reasonably close to use a short board.

Comment

Say you are facing a wall try keeping the power chair back about 8” from wall with front caster turned sideways or parallel to wall then scoot manual in an try to overlap it on a little on the erm footplate ya things get scratched up a little who cares ? Now I have a M3 perm And A til it end 2gx with center fold footplate also use a rigid tilte each chair combo may need a different solution but I get find a way to get pretty close I actually use a pretty short board

Comment

Most stuff has been said, but I just wanted to add that I'm of a weight that I almost never get my F5 castors off the ground even going fast and uneven. Therefore, I had someone remove the front 'anti tip' castors. Made side transfers a relative dream.

Comment

Originally posted by EmilyL View Post
                  Most stuff has been said, but I just wanted to add that I'm of a weight that I almost never get my F5 castors off the ground even going fast and uneven. Therefore, I had someone remove the front 'anti tip' castors. Made side transfers a relative dream.
                  I've been thinking about doing just this! My only hesitation is that I used my F5 as a standing frame, and it feels like that's the very situation the anti tippers are designed to help protect. If I remove them, I'm worried I'll fall over forward! Probably just my insecurities. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post

I've been thinking about doing just this! My only hesitation is that I used my F5 as a standing frame, and it feels like that's the very situation the anti tippers are designed to help protect. If I remove them, I'm worried I'll fall over forward! Probably just my insecurities. :-)
                    I think given you use it for standing that's a fair concern!

Comment

I like the idea of a monkey bar or "sky hook". As a quad you would need to innovate I would think? Some way to really hook up to the bar. But as a mountain climber, it would seem like a familiar kind of problem and a good challenge? Pete4sakes mount it in the garage plan sounds good unless you don't mind fabricating something in the house. The scary part of this scheme is the possibility of failing the transfer and finding yourself hung like a side of beef, unable to release your hand
                      Getting paralyzed certainly changes your perspectives! Good to have a sense of humor, eh?
                      69yo male T12 complete since 1995
                      NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
                        Thanks, triumph, good perspective. I have a pretty slippery transfer board, but it could probably be more slippery with Pledge. That said, I've had a problem with a wound on my butt before, so I tend not to slide at all but just use the board as a way for me to use a series of smaller bumps rather than just one big impossible transfer. I like the idea of using a dock, though. It'll still be scary, but I'll certainly have more confidence that way.
                        pfcs49 mentioned the Monkey Bar/skyhook.
                        The Monkey Bar over my bed is indispensable to me. Although no longer issue for OSH myopic safety reasons.

Pete4sakes mount it in the garage on the wall plan is good thinking. It could be fabricated to extend out far enough for your comfort and hinged so it can be secured back against the wall when not in use. In the way of a wall shower seat or restrained with chain.
                        About risking butt sores; if you have enough arm strength then maybe it is worth considering a Slippery Sam on your board. You could be transferred before you had even started

Maybe a customised transfer board steam bent with a concave slide surface to keep you located? Sub-plate locators to keep the board stable?
                        Last edited by slow_runner; 04-19-2020, 06:20 AM.

Comment

The monkey bar idea is indeed enticing to me. I've envisioned a home design with monkey bars everywhere I can just swing around on, as long as I could figure out a way to grip them with my zero dexterity hands! However, at the moment I'm limited because I'm in an expensive apartment that I don't intend to stay in forever (girlfriend got it for us while I was in inpatient, then moved out and I'm stuck with the whole bill), and I don't think they'd be okay with me installing all sorts of stuff hanging from the ceiling. The same limitation applies to the garage transfer station idea. That and I don't have a garage! The Slippery Sam is interesting (I had to Google this one), but my OT has really impressed upon me the importance of lifting myself to transfer rather than sliding. Turns out I have a sensitive bum, and she's really worried about skin breakdown from any potential shearing. But a specialized, customized slide board could be just the ticket! That will require some serious thinking through, and then finagling somebody with craftsman ability to build me something.

Comment

What about getting a hospital bed so you can raise/lower bed for gravity transfers. Keep manual chair on one side, power on other. This does not conform with "disability cool" but allows easier transfer and less chance of injury/falls.

Comment

I have a queen-size bed that can raise and lower right now, and not super eager to downsize to a hospital bed. That said, as a result I don't necessarily have enough room in the bedroom to set it up this way, so I guess I need either a bigger bedroom or downsize to a smaller bed.

Comment

Lots of trial and error in this SCI world one thing that I think “saves my butt” as far as sliding board transfers is I wear what’s called glide wear underwear kinda double silk layered material very slippery slidy type stuff I knew the developers but unfortunately it did don’t take off and is no longer available but could be custom sewed back side has the double layer of slippery silky type material and front is cotton pretty cool concept too bad it didn’t take off for them

Comment

Working...
                                X