Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

daily calories burned

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • daily calories burned

    so what is the consensus on how many calories para/quads burn in a regular day doing regular things. not counting exercise??
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  • #2
    This is highly variable, based on body weight and build, how much spasticity you have, and what "normal daily activities" are for the individual. No way to say this in a generalized way. Generally we recommend that those with SCI decrease their daily caloric intake by 10% for those with paraplegia, and 15% for those with tetraplegia, but even that is an educated guess without factoring in more specific activities and which muscle groups are paralyzed, how complete the injury is, etc. etc. There have not been a huge number of metabolic studies done on people with SCI/D engaged in activities other than manual wheelchair pushing, and even these have been low in number.

    (KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      This is highly variable, based on body weight and build, how much spasticity you have, and what "normal daily activities" are for the individual. No way to say this in a generalized way. Generally we recommend that those with SCI decrease their daily caloric intake by 10% for those with paraplegia, and 15% for those with tetraplegia, but even that is an educated guess without factoring in more specific activities and which muscle groups are paralyzed, how complete the injury is, etc. etc. There have not been a huge number of metabolic studies done on people with SCI/D engaged in activities other than manual wheelchair pushing, and even these have been low in number.

      (KLD)
      thx kld. what were the findings on manual chair use??
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

      Comment


      • #4
        Here are some publications (some are just abstracts):

        https://journals.lww.com/co-clinical..._injury.8.aspx

        https://www.nature.com/articles/sc197738.pdf

        https://journals.lww.com/nursingrese...ty_for.10.aspx

        https://academic.oup.com/ptj/article/79/2/146/2837037

        https://www.nature.com/articles/sc201385.pdf

        https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...03999312003255

        https://link.springer.com/article/10...00000000-00000

        https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...11Y.0000000046

        https://www.nature.com/articles/sc199060.pdf

        (KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

        Comment


        • #5
          You can take a test to determine your basal metabolic rate. Takes ten minutes of breathing into a device that measures amonia in your breath. I went from 2500 kcal/day (kcal = calorie) pre injury to around 1200/day as a T3. Any exercise adds to that as basal rate is what you burn lying in bed.
          T3 complete since Sept 2015.

          Comment


          • #6
            yep, we found a place to do the test will go after holidays. how far off are the online bmr calculators for you based on you height, weight age? i found several studies stating they are generally 25-35% high.
            Originally posted by Mize View Post
            You can take a test to determine your basal metabolic rate. Takes ten minutes of breathing into a device that measures amonia in your breath. I went from 2500 kcal/day (kcal = calorie) pre injury to around 1200/day as a T3. Any exercise adds to that as basal rate is what you burn lying in bed.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

            Comment


            • #7
              There is not a good formula for BMI for people with SCI/D either.

              (KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                There is not a good formula for BMI for people with SCI/D either.

                (KLD)
                This. I spent many hours scouring the literature for information about basal metabolic rate, calorie and protein needs, as well as kcal burn rates for different exercises and the unfortunate, but very real, truth is that we don't know spit once the person has an SCI. There have been a few papers that included hard numbers, but even these had absurd ranges like paras need between 50 and 90 grams of protein daily. That's a big range!

                My recommendation is to do the test. Add a few hundred kcals to the basal number to account for daily activities (I added 300) and this is your static calorie number. Want to lose weight? Eat less or burn more via exercise (good luck estimating the rate for exercises though!). For the exercise part I recommend a heart rate monitor as this is a reasonable gauge of effort. If you're using a calorie tracker, try to find a comparable exercise, but don't use a leg based exercise if you can help it as nobody has leg-sized shoulders or arms.
                T3 complete since Sept 2015.

                Comment


                • #9
                  thx all. i agree on hr strap. i use one while cycling but offseason i dont for cardio and lifting, but i think i'll pickup a new one to use with separate app for my workouts
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X