calories burned??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    why the big drop in kcals? just aging? how is this test done??
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. The earlier tests were during my bicycle racing years pre-injury when I was doing 40 races/year and logging over 10k miles.
    The latest is ~2.5 years post-injury so no legs or core and no ridiculous training.
    T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
      I looked into this stuff right after my injury. Unfortunately, at that point I was focused on my hope of recovery so the last thing I wanted to do to my badly-damaged body was calorie restriction. One of my doctors (a personal friend) dug into the literature and came up with a diet that he felt was suited to axon growth (higher cholesterol, fish oil and folate to mimic embryonic nutrition). Between that diet and the voracious appetite of a competitive cyclist body that didn't adjust its hunger signals, I put on about 35 lbs (165-200). It's less alarming than it sounds as 165 was my racing weight while 180 is my winter weight so really more like 20 lbs.

As an athlete I knew a bunch about general and sports nutrition. I actually would get "bod pod" bodyfat measurements every year as part of setting my nutrition plan every Spring. Another part of that evaluation was to measure my metabolic rate at rest using a breathing test. I think it measures ammonia which is a byproduct of basic metabolism. I guess I should do that evaluation again.

Anyway, I'm a spastic T3 Para (complete) and I have to keep my kcals under 1700 to keep my girth in check.
      If I understand your post, you were at 165 pounds pre injury at your best bicycling training weight. That still seems like a lot of weight for a competitive cyclist, unless you are really tall. Chris Froome is 6'1" and weighs about 145 pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        If I understand your post, you were at 165 pounds pre injury at your best bicycling training weight. That still seems like a lot of weight for a competitive cyclist, unless you are really tall. Chris Froome is 6'1" and weighs about 145 pounds.
        Amateur competitive (cat 3) cyclist at 48 years old and an international business job! Plus I was a sprinter. Also, Froome is a doper.
        T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by Mize View Post
          Sorry if I wasn't clear. The earlier tests were during my bicycle racing years pre-injury when I was doing 40 races/year and logging over 10k miles.
          The latest is ~2.5 years post-injury so no legs or core and no ridiculous training.
          ok, i missed that
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
          X