Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

One month: 930 miles and 38,000ft of climbing (1,500km/11,600m)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One month: 930 miles and 38,000ft of climbing (1,500km/11,600m)

I track my rides in an app called Strava and every month they have challenges to ride 1,250km (777mi) and/or climb 8,000m (26,000ft). I always wanted to see if I could do it and September wasn't too busy, so I joined both.

I have a 9mi commute to work each way so I wouldn't have to add too much more to hit that goal. I was also going to a wedding in North Carolina and always wanted to go biking in Appalachia. So I knew that I could hit those goals, but would I actually be able to?

Not only did I meet those goals, but I smashed them by 120% and 145%, respectively.

On this beautiful bike. It's a Freedom Ryder Lean-Steer. Older model with many component and frame upgrades.

Here's a monthly calendar of my progress. After I knew I was going to meet the 777 mile goal, I immediately set my eye on 1,000 miles. But alas, it was not in the cards... this time.

Here's the crowning achievement of the trip: 30 miles and 6200 feet up Mt Mitchell:

I'm a single guy with a job that allows me to do this kind of thing, but I encourage everyone to set a physical activity goal for yourself - be it 100 miles in a month, 3 activities per week, or just 20min of exercise a day.

Set that goal for yourself and then go out and kick its ass.

nice work............
    Originally posted by brian View Post
    I track my rides in an app called Strava and every month they have challenges to ride 1,250km (777mi) and/or climb 8,000m (26,000ft). I always wanted to see if I could do it and September wasn't too busy, so I joined both.

I have a 9mi commute to work each way so I wouldn't have to add too much more to hit that goal. I was also going to a wedding in North Carolina and always wanted to go biking in Appalachia. So I knew that I could hit those goals, but would I actually be able to?

Not only did I meet those goals, but I smashed them by 120% and 145%, respectively.

On this beautiful bike. It's a Freedom Ryder Lean-Steer. Older model with many component and frame upgrades.

Here's a monthly calendar of my progress. After I knew I was going to meet the 777 mile goal, I immediately set my eye on 1,000 miles. But alas, it was not in the cards... this time.

Here's the crowning achievement of the trip: 30 miles and 6200 feet up Mt Mitchell:

I'm a single guy with a job that allows me to do this kind of thing, but I encourage everyone to set a physical activity goal for yourself - be it 100 miles in a month, 3 activities per week, or just 20min of exercise a day.

Set that goal for yourself and then go out and kick its ass.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

nice love it john has introduced me to the stricker I love it I only do about 3 to 5 miles aday unless it raining but I increasing my distance before I stop and speed love it

Comment

Amazing! Great work!
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

This year it was Colorado and the final ride was up Mt Evans, the highest paved road in North America at 14,130ft (4,306m). It took 7 hours to climb up and 1.5 hours to coast down.

Comment

Great work.... What speed did you allow yourself to get up to going down?

Comment

Sheez. Over a mile in elevation in one day? That’s pretty intense. Well done Brian.

I got a question for you tho. How do you commute to work v?a handcycle? Do you bring the chair with you? If so, how?

Comment

Super cool.
                "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by djrolling View Post
                  Great work.... What speed did you allow yourself to get up to going down?
                  My phone app said I averaged 23mph and maxed out at 42mph, but I don't believe that last part. Maybe 35mph.

On the ascent I was ranked 3,609th out of 3,616 (not last!)
                  On the descent I was ranked 1,109th out of 2,419

Originally posted by funklab View Post
                  I got a question for you tho. How do you commute to work v?a handcycle? Do you bring the chair with you? If so, how?
                  I've used a couple methods throughout the years, but now I have a spare chair locked up outside the place where I work. No one's really messed with it yet.

Comment

Fantastic! I LOVED my Freedom Rider lean steer.

Comment

What a fun way to meet different goals, amazing one you are working.

Comment

this is nothing but pure fantastic, climbing the highest peak in the east MT Mitchell in North Carolina was extreme feat enough on a hand cycle. but climbing Mt evans really is impressive.
                        2 questions how were the road conditions, I assume they a probably better than my local roads in urban NY .

I noticed the elevation gain was very similar on both climbs, was the higher climb that much more difficult? I know from hiking/climbing in the northeast, the elevation gain was usually a better indicator of difficulty.
                        now I want a bike similar to that.
                        cauda equina

Comment

Working...
                        X