Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quad Belly help

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Quad Belly help

    Has anyone had any luck getting rid of their quad belly? I hate mine and would love to be rid of it. I see a lot of people say you've got what you've got and you have to deal with it. I'm not ready to accept that. I have some use of my abs. I have electrical stimulation units. Is there any evidence to show that would help if used on a regular basis?

    #2
    I'm going to start stimming my abs to see if I can tighten mine up. I figure it can't hurt. There are mixed reviews... I'm hoping to become a positive reviewer.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
      I'm going to start stimming my abs to see if I can tighten mine up. I figure it can't hurt. There are mixed reviews... I'm hoping to become a positive reviewer.
      Me too. Even if it means I just watch tv while it's running. I'm going to do sit ups to the best of my ability and trunk rotation.

      Comment


        #4
        Nope. Mine has only gotten worse. The only thing I can do is reduce my calories (and I'm far from fat) and wear a binder to make it less noticeable. A lot of it is simply atrophy and deformity - gaining weight just aggravates the "bloated" look though. But really, it's the least of my problems.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
          I'm going to start stimming my abs to see if I can tighten mine up. I figure it can't hurt. There are mixed reviews... I'm hoping to become a positive reviewer.

          Has it helped? Any other suggestions on how a quad can exercise and tone his abs?

          Comment


            #6
            I'm a paraplegic with a "quad belly". :/ And like Perfectpurple, it's the least of my problems.
            Female, T9 incomplete

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by mamadavid View Post
              Has it helped? Any other suggestions on how a quad can exercise and tone his abs?
              Due to various complications, disturbances and procrastination, I've only used it a couple times. I was actually going to try it today but I had company and then needed to fix my moms computer. I fully intend to try again this week if life will stop interfering with my plans.
              Taking less spasm meds might allow your muscles to tone up naturally but I wouldn't expect much.

              Comment


                #8
                There is no way that they doing ab exercises or stimulation of abs will help with the quad belly.
                It's fat that's covering the muscles and in order to burn fat you must exercise or run and burn calories...
                C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

                Comment


                  #9
                  I wear a binder sometimes and I would say they do nothing to prevent quad/para belly unless you're going to commit to wearing them 24/7. I say this because the underlying issue is stretching of the skin as organs migrate to the suburbs. With no musculature to support the skin it's going to stretch whenever you're not in the binder. Wear it 8 hours/day and you'll slow things down by a third or so, but you're not going to stop it.

                  Too bad they don't make some sort of low-energy, always on FES vest...
                  T3 complete since Sept 2015.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                    There is no way that they doing ab exercises or stimulation of abs will help with the quad belly.
                    It's fat that's covering the muscles and in order to burn fat you must exercise or run and burn calories...
                    I gotta disagree. I have very little fat on my stomach but when I sit upright it would appear that I do. The lack of muscle tone allows the organs and intestines to protrude outward. If one can tighten up the abs you can reduce the amount of protrusion.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Scott, you can have very little fat but enough to cover your abs
                      I have a friend that is a C-5 C6 and hit a skinny as hell. When he lifts his ass off the seat you can see his abs clearly.
                      I know a little bit about exercise / human body because I was a personal trainer before my injury - In order to see your abs you have to have very low body fat.
                      C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Quad belly and being fat are different things. We're not trying to get 6 packs. Atrophied abdominal muscles allows the stomach to protrude. Fat just adds to problem.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                          Atrophied abdominal muscles allows the stomach to protrude. Fat just adds to problem.
                          yes, and there is no way to get your muscles back even w/ stim
                          C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Mac85 View Post
                            yes, and there is no way to get your muscles back even w/ stim
                            That might be true but I want to see for myself and I have nothing else to do, so...

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
                              That might be true but I want to see for myself and I have nothing else to do, so...
                              Go at it man, let us know your results
                              C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X