Thoughts on this passive leg peddler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this passive leg peddler?

I came across the motomed and thought it looked great to help with range of motion, then I saw the price and stopped dreaming. So I looked for a smaller version and found this video https://youtu.be/vldOCFZbeyk Does this kind of leg movement help with tight hamstrings and hips? It seems like this movement of the legs should be beneficial to someone sitting all day right? My only concern would be if my feet stayed secure but the video showed that they should. Maybe velcro straps could be added. And the price is right! Between $80 and $100 Appreciate thoughts and recommendations on something like this to help with range of motion, thank you. And this could even help with the shoulders right?
    My GoPro videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-J...L-yxxXsTXJuKlg

Thanks for finding this. I built one from an old bike frame, but with no motor and push on my knees with my hands to make it go round and round. Momentum makes it go pretty good. This motorized one is better, so I just now ordered it. On mine I bolted old shoes to the pedals so my feet won't fall off. I hope to transfer those to this gadget.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

I had one, and they do work pretty good...but...I have some spasticity and every once in a while, my legs will lock. When that happens, the machine spins off into the distance. I switched to one without a motor.

Comment

I ordered one too, hope it is helpful for us! Great to see others still fighting

Comment

can you give me instructions on how to secure the shoes to it?

Comment

I have one very similar. Have had it for probably 8-9 years an still perfect.. I use most nights before I go to bed, anywhere from 15 minutes - 1 hr. You can leave motor off and still pedal if your capable. yes, put it om a table and you could do srms/shoulders. Mine came with handles to switch out from pedals.
            - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

Roc do you find it helps with your range of motion?

Comment

Originally posted by dontevergiveup View Post
                The secret is to attach shoes with "garage door hinge bolts". Note that they are perfectly flat on top. It still requires a little digging out of shoe material inside the sole.
                http://www.natman.com/detail/v7652-f...-nuts-n280-859
                I needed to put a plate on the backside to act as a washer.

edit changed link
                I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

You can try something like this, which are plastic plates with Velcro straps just screwed (or bolted) into the pedals.

When we looked at getting this, several people said that they weren't powerful enough for them. As I was purchasing for my son, the power wasn't an issue, and still isn't. But there is another thread on here somewhere that discusses them,
                  Attached Files
                  Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Comment

Roc do you find it helps with your range of motion?
                    Range of motion?..I can't say it does, but that is just me. For someone who is really tight, I would think over time it could help loosen somewhat. I have good range, I have a stretching routine that my wife does to me every morning before getting out of bed(takes 10min), also do 50 sit to stands every day, plus I regularly get a 1 hr deep tissue massage. For me, I like doing the "bike" before bed just to get that good blood flow and keep the muscles loose, relaxed and moving. I actually just got off from doing 30 min. I know for some people who have alot of spasms or "tone" that it helps to ease it. We are all soo different as to how our bodies react to certain things. Trial & error to see what does what is how it goes.
                    - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

I had a home made motorised one, from an old bike fame, with metal plates and straps on to attach your feet and some calf supports to stop your legs getting out of line as they move. It was good but the motor was noisy so when the motor died I bought a motorised one. It is quieter and easier to attach your feet to and as a result I use it more because I can strap my feet in and sit in front of the TV. On the home made one, it was difficult to hear the TV.

Comment

Good to see you guys are keeping your legs moving and finding ways to make things work for you. I'm looking forward to mine arriving, amazon says about two weeks. But sometimes they ship sooner.

Roc I'm interested in how you got to 50 sit to stands. Was it difficult to build up to? How do you get your weaker hand to hold securely to the bar? When standing do you practice balance? In what other areas and ability have you found that practicing the sit to stands have carried over to and made things easier for you to do?

Comment

I went through some hardcore rehab. A place that had trainers(degrees in exercise physiology) and not "pt's". Yes I experienced pt's, and there was a big difference. This was 2 years after the initial 1st year of therapy post injury. I did 3 hrs a day, 5 days a week for just over 1 yr. 20 min stretch, then 30min- 1 hr on a Ergys2 or Nustep, then mix of leg press, weight lifting, crawling, trying to walk with walker, ab workouts, and time on Lokomat every other day. Non stop giving all I had for 3 straight hours! I was leg pressing over 200 lbs, so standing is basically a leg press so its easy for me as long as I have something to hold in front. For my right hand I use a powerhook, it is what I was using in my back workout vid and explained about it in that vid. Sometimes I just hold with my left hand only. Yes I will let go and work on balance, Its not easy, especially when my lower back is tight. Not sure what it actually makes easier but I do it everyday, good for circulation, digestion, and overall body strength.. core, back, legs.

**I was in excellent shape and always worked out pre injury which allowed me to push hard, know how to, and enjoy the workout in rehab post. I saw alot of people in rehab who never exercised and now to do it when it is extremely difficult after injury was even harder. Alot also has to do with extent of injury, again we are all different in out post inj. abilities so we need to try all sorts of things and put our own twist on things to make it work.
                          Last edited by roc21; 5 Sep 2016, 12:50 PM.
                          - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

That sounds like it was a good training program roc. I had some therapy years go but never anything intense like that. I think when I got injured much was never expected from sci and the therapists and the dr's never considered intensive training as an option. But thankfully I have made some gains with my limited knowledge of training. Trying and not giving up will produce results. Do you still try to use a walker? I still know I can progress much farther than I have already. Do you have any tricks to stretching the shoulders out yourself? I've started taking a pulley with a weight on it and holding the handle in my hand and reclining my chair and letting the weight pull my arm / shoulder back. My weak hand eventually slips loose though. My peddlar is supposed to be here tomorrow!

Comment

tried it tonight and it's awesome, nice to have your legs moved for 15 or 30 minutes or more if you like after they've been sitting in one position all day. I am glad I got it!

Comment

Working...
                              X