Transferring into your Handcycle and Back - any Tips and Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transferring into your Handcycle and Back - any Tips and Techniques

I recently bought a handcycle (Force RX), and I'd be interested to hear your tips and techniques for transferring into a handcycle and back. Yes, I've seen the YouTube videos of flawless transfers. They look great and maybe I'll get there someday with practice. I'm assuming that others have developed some tricks along the way that work for you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking into buying a bath chair lift (thanks John for the tip!), which should help me get started.

Thanks!

I have gotten a perfectly good working bath chair lift off Craigslist for $100.00. Used lifts show up often. Bargains require daily searching.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Comment

i use a hydrolic lift cart i got from harbor freight works great

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...art-60730.html
      to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Comment

Originally posted by nonoise View Post
        I have gotten a perfectly good working bath chair lift off Craigslist for $100.00. Used lifts show up often. Bargains require daily searching.
        Thanks, good advice. I actually found the handcycle on craigslist. I didn't really expect to find anything like this on CL, just thought I'd give it a try. You never know...

Comment

Originally posted by wheelin 48 View Post
          i use a hydrolic lift cart i got from harbor freight works great

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...art-60730.html
          Interesting. It looks like it has a handcrank to lift the table. Is it easy to reach?

Comment

no problem. the table from harbor freight that wheelin 48 mentioned is another good idea. you'll get it. keep scouring youtube, lots of great transfer vids

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
            I recently bought a handcycle (Force RX), and I'd be interested to hear your tips and techniques for transferring into a handcycle and back. Yes, I've seen the YouTube videos of flawless transfers. They look great and maybe I'll get there someday with practice. I'm assuming that others have developed some tricks along the way that work for you. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking into buying a bath chair lift (thanks John for the tip!), which should help me get started.

Thanks!
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I used a bench that was almost exactly half way between the seat of my handcycle and wheelchair seat (with cushion). When exiting cycle I would remove wheelchair cushion, do push-up onto bench, then place feet on cycle seat, lean forward and do push up onto wheelchair.
              I'm paralyzed, not SCI, also with very weak tricep and bicep on left arm, normal right arm.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyFan View Post
                Interesting. It looks like it has a handcrank to lift the table. Is it easy to reach?

yes i even redid the handle so it goes all the way up easy to reach theres a pic of it on here under a thread i think its called transfer i made for handcycle ill try and find the pic
                the post is below you can see how i extended the handle super simple

http:///forum/showthread.php?140042-...-and-lift-cart
                Last edited by wheelin 48; 12-20-2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

/forum/showthread.php?140042-new-bike-and-lift-cart

heres the thread

Comment

Do the same as this, with Ikea foot stools.

Originally posted by triumph View Post
                    I used a bench that was almost exactly half way between the seat of my handcycle and wheelchair seat (with cushion). When exiting cycle I would remove wheelchair cushion, do push-up onto bench, then place feet on cycle seat, lean forward and do push up onto wheelchair.
                    I'm paralyzed, not SCI, also with very weak tricep and bicep on left arm, normal right arm.

Comment

Do you have full Triceps and arms/hands? If so I would try and stay away from a lift unless your level of injury requires it. If your injury permits the use of your upper arms to there fullest then work on getting in and out. Reason being its like a slide board you don't want to get accustomed to using a device like that if at all possible. The idea is if you can you want to be independent and that is just something else you have to also take with you if you go Race or ride somewhere else.

Before I get jumped on if you don't have full function then do whatever you have to do to get out and ride.

Comment

Originally posted by crash86 View Post
                        Do you have full Triceps and arms/hands? If so I would try and stay away from a lift unless your level of injury requires it. If your injury permits the use of your upper arms to there fullest then work on getting in and out. Reason being its like a slide board you don't want to get accustomed to using a device like that if at all possible. The idea is if you can you want to be independent and that is just something else you have to also take with you if you go Race or ride somewhere else.

Before I get jumped on if you don't have full function then do whatever you have to do to get out and ride.
                        I have full triceps/biceps and use of hands, but still working on floor to chair transfers. Besides the SCI from my accident just over a year ago, I broke many ribs and both scapula and overall had a lot of muscle atrophy while laid up - so range of motion and strength are still very much a work in progress and I'm leery of pushing my shoulders too hard / too fast. If I did get a bath lift or table, I'm hoping that I can use it to get out and ride and then try to continue working on transfers to be independent over the long run. Something like the Ikea step that NW-Will mentions might be a good thing to work toward.

Comment

Yes do what you need to do and if its something you can use until you get your strength back go for it. I have been hurt for 28yrs and have been where things where very difficult from surgery's , illness but i always worked myself back into shape. I guess what im saying just don't let it become a crutch if at all possible. Just have to fight like hell!
                          Good luck and you will find what works best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by crash86 View Post
                            Yes do what you need to do and if its something you can use until you get your strength back go for it. I have been hurt for 28yrs and have been where things where very difficult from surgery's , illness but i always worked myself back into shape. I guess what im saying just don't let it become a crutch if at all possible. Just have to fight like hell!
                            Good luck and you will find what works best for you.
                            So true!!

Comment

haven't tried this footstool, but looks promising because of the higher handle holds.. maybe worth a look if you're at Ikea ..

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20201738/

Comment

Working...
                              X