losing weight while in a wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peter384
    I like the idea of wheel chair basketball. I wonder if there are any leagues near me.

It looks pretty intense!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSVBDeqVs4
    http://www.nwba.org/

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
      Thank you all for the info I have a Dr apt tomorrow so I printed this out and will ask for some help.
      arns hit the nail on the head. testosterone if your low you wont lose. I wanted to come into this hc season a bit lighter to see how it effects my speed. I've dropped 20 since January. im strict mon-thurs then eat whatever I want fr-sun. I keep a food log of all my macros. and of course increased my exercise. you can do it.
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

non-meat diet

Originally posted by Cowboys_Place View Post
        Thank you all for the info I have a Dr apt tomorrow so I printed this out and will ask for some help.
        A vegetarian diet has done wonders for me. Not only have I been able to keep my weight under control but it has also helped a great deal with digestion and bowel functions. Good luck with the doc and a dietician but also keep in mind, lighter foods often result in lighter people.

Comment

Remember its not a Diet its a lifestyle change. If you diet it will constantly be a yoyo of up and down . Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by crash86 View Post
            Remember its not a Diet its a lifestyle change. If you diet it will constantly be a yoyo of up and down . Good Luck.
            So true!

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. I found recently that wheelchair boxing has helped me get a pretty good workout. I do this at a local gym with a personal trainer.
              Now, I have had trouble with weight loss from nutrition. It seems that no matter how little carbs I eat, I still don't see any pounds lost. I am losing inches, since my clothes are getting looser and I have had to tighten my ostomy belt even more, but the number never seems to move on the scale. Any advice?

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the pounds if you are still losing. I love the fact that if I splurge on a weekend I can just go back to eating healthy with few carbs for just a few days and I lose those pounds.

Comment

not to hijack thread but whoooo lost 2in chest 3 inches wasit 6 in hips my ankles and calves look like they did before I was hurt

now if I could just get thighs thiner

Comment

Originally posted by bubbagump View Post
                    Thanks for the help everyone. I found recently that wheelchair boxing has helped me get a pretty good workout. I do this at a local gym with a personal trainer.
                    Now, I have had trouble with weight loss from nutrition. It seems that no matter how little carbs I eat, I still don't see any pounds lost. I am losing inches, since my clothes are getting looser and I have had to tighten my ostomy belt even more, but the number never seems to move on the scale. Any advice?
                    If you are building muscles on your Upper body ie; arms, this could be effecting your weight. If you are losing inches that is the best measurement

Comment

Originally posted by JaneB View Post
                      If you are building muscles on your Upper body ie; arms, this could be effecting your weight. If you are losing inches that is the best measurement
                      totally agree muscle weights more than blubber looks better toooo

Comment

JaneB . . . can you give me some more info on wheelchair boxing. Any specific training exercises and advice would be great. I'm a t-12 in decent shape and always looking for new ways to stay fit.

Comment

Great insights SCI nurse. It seems like cardio and calorie counting is the best option for now. Lat pull downs are also awesome for a bit of strength training.

Comment

Working...
                          X