How much can I expect to recover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This has been really wonderful advice.

Going from bicep curls with 2 pounds to 5 pounds has been a lot of work for me. I would really like to see 30 pounds, and I've got doubts if that's possible for a 60 something couch potato. (My PT seems to have no doubts that the answer is no; maybe I need a new PT?)

I've neglected myself all my life, busy with job, raising kids, etc. To say the least, I wasn't a health nut. I'm trying to make a change now, better late than never.

Comment

I'm 67, my therapist didn't think I could walk on a tread mill, but I tried anyway on my own, and a year and a half later latter I'm still doing it. I started walking .5 miles at 1.8 rate. Now on a good day I can walk 1 mile at a rate of 2.8. My best days 1.5 miles at rate of 3.0. I won't win a marathon but I improved. I'm only using the walking as an example of improvement in maturity.

Our injuries are different. Your injury may prevent you from walking, but you can still strengthen your arms. Stop looking at 30 lbs. as your goal. Your goal should be 6 lbs. don't think past that until you achieve it. Yes it's a lot of work, but at our age, what else do we have to do all day. LOL. maybe your therapist would change his assessment if he saw that you believed in yourself and were determined to prove him wrong. Okay you WERE a couch potato, now you can't be. I'm going to keep bugging you until you lift 6 lbs. You can do it. It's not too late.

Truly is right, yoga is great. Look for a chair yoga class in your area. It is really gaining in popularity. I started a chair yoga class in January. It has made a huge difference in my breathing and postural tone. I have made some new friends who are positive and encouraging. My arms and hands are stronger, my neck and back are more flexible. I have learned how to meditate to calm myself. It is something I look forward to each week. Can't hurt to give it a try

okay I'm putting my soap box away. Sorry for nagging, but I'm an old lady, it's what we do.

Comment

Hi, I think a new PT is an excellent idea.

Comment

Good call....

Comment

About this Low T stuff.. I got hurt at 21...right? All it did was take my mind off life a bit, get me to flirt hard with military nurses and the like . ok, so yo..I've been making fun of John Bohner (sp?) for year cause of his cryin (is it low T? visit lowT.com) I've been an amateur actor since 2003, NEVER could make myself cry. Then I was out one night, talking to this chick bout my late laborador ..and all of a sudden, I made myself CRY! ummm...something WRONG Here. Thought back to John Boehner....got myself a DIY test..sure and nuggest..there it was .! What am I doin different? Let's see...my GP was gonzo about high cholesterol (runs in my family ) a year back ... gave up beef, don't eat fish (I hate it)..at all, and no greens.... Classic limiting reagent problem! ZINC deficiency! Well....I stared a supplement....and as you can see, I'm writing this with enthusiasm at 4am my time. Yes, running the DIY test showed the problem was fixed.

The moral!? be VERY careful about what you do to your diet. question EVERY piece of advice a "doctor" gives you...do they REALLY know the pathology of a spinal injury and how it impacts how you're feeling? Unless you're hangin 10 at Miami Jackson, or at a specialized clinic, probably not. Don't be afraid to do your own research and work with your doc

Comment

The OP has not visited our forums since 9/7/14. It appears he was either 1) discouraged by the responses he sought, or 2) has had his computer taken away by his wife, or 3) was really a troll. Don't know if we will ever find out.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

He's probably a 23 yr old sifting for info and personal testimonies (war stories) he can use for his senior year towards his thesis in physical therapy.
                We're just freaks to be studied I guess.
                Why study us when you can just become one?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim C. View Post
                  Why study us when you can just become one?
                  ... all it takes is a second.
                  There's always something magic, there's always something true. And when you really, really need it the most, that's when rock 'n roll dreams come true. Meat Loaf

Comment

Originally posted by Taanshi79 View Post
                    ... all it takes is a second.
                    No Shit... That dam near made me cry.
                    I'm over it, I just got my new Lasher Chair.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjt8 View Post
                      No Shit... That dam near made me cry.
                      I'm over it, I just got my new Lasher Chair.
                      How you doing, man!?!?
                      Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                      X