No announcement yet.

flaccid to spastic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and ANY little bit of glute I build, it gives me better balance and ability to reach forward to do things and to swim much better.
    http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
    my website & blog

Comment

Originally posted by darlagee22 View Post
      Yes, eventually some of them did in varying degrees. I did have to make it part of everyday life to TRY to keep repeating the first flickers I got, then to make it part of my exercise, then when some of them got strong enough to do something in everyday life, I had to make a conscious effort to make them "do their job". A couple of examples: starting to use my hip flexor to lift me lift my leg and help me pull my legs into bed one by one or with my little movement of quads, to "kick my leg straight to help me reach my foot when I need to grab my foot, and change my shoes. Its like step 1: keep trying to move it or "think the action" whenever you move your legs with your hands. step 2: when you see flickers or responses to your movement commands, repeat as much as possible. step 3: once you can make something move whenever you try, make it part of your exercise routine, then build up reps and resistance. step 3b: retrain your brain to use it- make the movement part of your everyday use.

I gotta say, though, I have gotten strong hip flexors and adducters and can use them however I want, but quads, abductors, hamsstrings and glutes took a few years to "find" and a LOT of work and repetition and are still just partially there and anything below my knees is still completely flaccid. Bowel and bladder are still flaccid.

I am almost 10 yrs post, still exercise and still am getting stronger and better nerve connections.

We're all different, just do your best to keep active and find a fulfilling life however you can. God bless.
      So how much were you able to regain after 10 years? I really need my glues, i cant grab anything with both arms as i will fall forward. And question if i sit on table and reach forward (back extension) adding more and more degrees does it mean my lower back is getting stronger or my gluts kicking in? Hows b& b. I have some feeling but weird and all. I fart only when going nr 2 and little urination if very full . Can feel urge and spasm when getting full my legs shake and was wondering if how you were. Sorry if too personal or anything don't have to answer if uncomfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by wesmaister View Post
        So how much were you able to regain after 10 years? I really need my glues, i cant grab anything with both arms as i will fall forward. And question if i sit on table and reach forward (back extension) adding more and more degrees does it mean my lower back is getting stronger or my gluts kicking in? Hows b& b. I have some feeling but weird and all. I fart only when going nr 2 and little urination if very full . Can feel urge and spasm when getting full my legs shake and was wondering if how you were. Sorry if too personal or anything don't have to answer if uncomfortable.
        I know what you mean, that's the major functional difference for me now that my little mini-glutes are building little by little. I am 10 yrs post now and I have to concentrate to squeeze them, but I can.

I remember when I worked out at project walk about 2 yrs post I didn't have any connection with them. I did have neuro pain there (and still do). They had me lay on my back bend my knees, then let my knees fall open and put my feet together and they just had me try to SQUEEZE as desperately as possible. I didn't think anything was happenind, but they asked me to pay attention to if there was ANY change at all. I felt an increase of nerve pain, so they just told me to keep making that change (pain) and timed about 2 mins I think. I did that a lot. Also lying on my stomach with my arms over my head, then lifting them like Superman flying, this still is a way that I work on building them because it causes them to kick in for balance (if they can make any connection).

There's trying and then sometimes, like with my feet, I tried the same, but nothing, so to keep trying desperately just makes me totally frustrated.

B& B is pretty flaccid, no control, I also have no spasms. Around t-12 or lower is when that usually happens. I would keep trying to keep your brain sending signals if you have any "sign of life " Somewhere like Project Walk, or many other places can be super helpful to keep you encouraged to try new things.
        http://www.laughwithmecrywithme.com
        my website & blog

Comment

I agree with all of Darla's advice. I have an L1 injury from a tree falling on me during a tornado. That was almost three years ago. I've regained my ability to walk but use hiking poles for balance. I spent considerable time looking for muscle flickers, then trying them over and over and finally working into useful motion. So much of what we have to do is re-training ourselves. I can walk but only with shoes that have a particular sole. I'm comfortable only on level ground. If any factor changes, I have to train myself all over again. For this reason, it can sometimes feel like I've gone back to square one...but it's not the case. It's just retraining for a new set of circumstances. Keep trying and working toward your goals. You can do a lot with every little bit of improvement.

Comment

So 13 months post and I've got muscle flickers all over. My calves, toes, dorsiflexion, hamstrings and gluts. Only one that's completely gone is right quad. Do you guys have any idea how to recognize if that's me doing it? Anybody had an experience like this with flaccid paralysis? Sometimes my foot has a rapid jerk like movement. Also wondered why my right foot goes up when i lean right on my chair? Please any input would be appreciated ! Nobody can tell me what this means!

Comment

So 13 months post and I've got muscle flickers all over. My calves, toes, dorsiflexion, hamstrings and gluts. Only one that's completely gone is right quad. Do you guys have any idea how to recognize if that's me doing it? Anybody had an experience like this with flaccid paralysis? Sometimes my foot has a rapid jerk like movement. Also wondered why my right foot goes up when i lean right on my chair? Please any input would be appreciated ! Nobody can tell me what this means!
              When I read your story I see mine....with a lot of effort I get muscle flickers in the areas I want to contract muscles. But I need a lot of concentration. Nobody can tell me why that is either...I just try over and over again to get better. You should do that too! Wish you all the best!!

Comment

Originally posted by KK11 View Post
                When I read your story I see mine....with a lot of effort I get muscle flickers in the areas I want to contract muscles. But I need a lot of concentration. Nobody can tell me why that is either...I just try over and over again to get better. You should do that too! Wish you all the best!!
                Having someone assist moving your body through the proper range of motion while you try to contract the muscles will help the most.

Eric Harness, CSCS
                Founder/President
                Neuro Ex, Inc
                Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Comment

How many reps are you talking per muscle group? does it matter if its small or big muscle?

Comment

Another thing is when i go to sit on the toilet to and try to urinate. Thats when my hamstring muscles start to have jolty movement.

Comment

How many reps are you talking per muscle group? does it matter if its small or big muscle?
                      Big muscle groups are easier to focus on. Go until it fatigues and becomes weaker or no longer fires. High reps are ideal for neuromuscular reeducation.

Eric Harness, CSCS
                      Founder/President
                      Neuro Ex, Inc
                      Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Comment

Working...
                      X