23 Steps (not stairs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

23 Steps (not stairs)

Just did 23 steps. Went really well. Even had sneakers on. Am wearing new ankle braces I got few days ago. Things sure felt good through feet to put them through that. Going try to build daily routine.

Keep it up. Glad to hear you keep getting stronger. I would walk up and down the driveway with my walker while my wife pushed the chair behind me. Keep pushing for more.

Comment

Driveway will be a nice deal. Want see what I can build around inside house before go beyond.

Comment

Great!
        2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
        Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Great news ... I find it funny how people keep a tab of their 'miles' after walking again ... but I would do the exact same! Good on ya and keep going. Good luck!
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Great news! I counted steps at first, then feet, then partial miles and now, miles. I hope you do so well that you'll need a GPS to keep up with yourself someday.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Counting those steps 1 way to measure. I was doing 90+ a little bac, but I considered that walking with my arms because of upper body strength. Really zero technique. This I think was more coordinated with upper body positioning/movement.

Comment

No plan for miles. If I get there, great. REAL goal - 1X to mailbox and back with no support device. All for my dog. He is waiting.

Originally posted by truly View Post
                  Great news! I counted steps at first, then feet, then partial miles and now, miles. I hope you do so well that you'll need a GPS to keep up with yourself someday.

Comment

Putting/executing plan based on technique, not steps or distance together. Number of steps away will be a fixed number. Coming back, hope same number, but until technique perfect, it may not be. Even the distance probably will vary for same reason.

Comment

I started with across the room. Then moved to the driveway. I would walk up and down the driveway while my wife pushed the chair behind me and try to complete more laps to inspire myself but you are right that technique may be even more important in the long run.

Comment

All done nobody around except my dog. Falling inside gives me tons of practice getting up. That is not a joke. 1 other interesting thing I found is, I may sort of learn something in a slow-motion technique, but actual execution must be performed fast to be sucessful. I have never tried outside. Have you performed on any angle - incline or decline? I am thinking of putting books on my floor. That would allow ne to gradually get legs to stepping an elevation of a step by adding thicker books. Plus with small itmes like this I could work on 1 leg at a time.

Comment

rlm- I would walk up and down my ramp but I generally stuck to flat ground. I was very lucky to have my wife here to help me. Having the chair behind me allowed me to push a little farther everyday.

You have literally take it one step at a time and your strength will build. I am using crutches now and still seem tired fast. Just have to push through it.

Comment

MF - how is it you get stuck flat but able to execute incline/decline? It took me forever to fist determine I had WAY TOO much upper body weight leaning into walker. Then it took me another forever to figure I had upper body weight INCORRECT side for leg trying to step forward. I.e. upper body weight on left side means brains better be telling right leg to step forward. NO, I had weight and brain on same side. I think then all brain should be saying is jump with that leg. Another thing I am finding is, may attempt to learn something slowly executing. But speed is a critical factor as well in order for successful execution.

Comment

MF, have you used a walker? Are you able to maintain balance with crutches? How many steps are you doing? Can you stand at a bathroom/kitchen counter with only support of 1 hand and do hings there? This stuff I am doing is 10+ years after accident. My freaking doctors told me I could not do any of this or did not know. I was in hospital 5+ years.

Comment

Working...
                              X