No announcement yet.

23 Steps (not stairs)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use crutches full time. I actually did not like the walker and rarely used it for anything other than exercise. I concentrated on building strength rather than walking at that time. It was a hard choice but I only had so much energy and I thought it would be better spent doing leg presses and riding a bike in order to build my strength. Functionally I would use the walker if it was the only option, otherwise I was using my wheelchair.

I basically went from the chair to the crutches and once I tried them I was ready and had been working my balance like crazy in my work outs. I still do. Balance and coordination are the biggest challenges of all.

My advice is to save enough energy for good resistance work outs even if you have to lay off the walking some. Squats, bridges, leg curls, and stuff like that. Strength is so important.

Comment

MF..I am puttiing this toghether 10+ YEARS after accident. Al;l you say here I totally agree. The coordination and balance very interesting. I talked some with Wise regarding your eyes input to brain. I felt I was able to relearn things, along with speed and oordination, if I took eyes out of the picture. Do the stuff with eyes closed and gradually introduce eyesisght. I was in H2O therapy about 1 year ago. The lady was asking why do I look up at the ceiling when walking at parallel bars in the water. I think it was becasue the ceiling was providing a very "static" visual input to my brain and I was able to work on the legs in the water. This lady did TONS COUNTLESS to once again get me going in a positive direction at home. I am now working putting more and more strength into legs. Your feet do unbelievable things.

Comment

Keep up the fight!

Comment

I am turning this into multi/day and many various standing exercises. Am learning standing with support with only 1 hand/arm. The 1 hand standing, I am swithing hands/arms.

Comment

There you go, forget about that 2 year deal too, at 2 I was still in a walker, even I didn't think I could pull it off. The longer I stood, the less I held on, the straighter I stood, and than one foot in front of the other, 3-4 were the best to come. Even now I'm still going ahead 9 years later. Don't get me wrong I do dumb things, put myself in jeapordy, and inevitably crash, still, but less and less. Don't turn out the lights, all my balance is in my eyes, and there not perfect either, the blow to the head originally messed up optic nerves too, I'm just one big F%#}ed up party.

Comment

al..I gave this up multiple times. This time I pretty much had everyone get lost and I am doing it my way. May be slow, but more progress than help provided. Last night, I was scared shitless sitting n bedside after some exercise. Suely felt like everything working top-to-bottom and wnated to stand. This was just practically catapult myself up without use of arms. Doing standing exercises I feel like I am ready to jump.

Comment

This 2nd routine today. New addition to routine. 1st may have solved 100% weight transfer to left leg by locking that knee when step forward with right. But UNPLANNED jeans fall down to knees after about 4-5 steps. Manage not to panick and make sure standing. Somehow manage pull them back up. Continue walk. This seemed greatest "run" I ever did. Care less about jeans fall. The weight transfer HUGE.

Comment

Working...
                X