Braces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Braces

Does anybody walk with braces like these everyday. Im trying to ditch my chair.

http://fillauer.com/Orthotics/SPL2.html

There was a guy in therapy that could of walked in those he was pretty good at it. He did it in therapy but never at home, said it was to much work. I geuss it depends on you. What is your injury ? Complete, incomplete, how long ? Have you used them & are comfortable ? I wish like hell I could use them even just to stand up & piss like a man!!! So if it was me & I was able I for sure would

Comment

Ive been injured for 8 months now. And I am L1 cauda equina incomplete. My hip flexors working pretty good i can lift my legs off my bed (knee). Some hamstrings, adductors working. Very strong upper body and core so i want to ditch my chair as much as i can. Im also 6'3' so i wanna be tall again.

Comment

I would think you could use them with crutches. They are probably expensive. Worth a try for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by wesmaister View Post
          Ive been injured for 8 months now. And I am L1 cauda equina incomplete. My hip flexors working pretty good i can lift my legs off my bed (knee). Some hamstrings, adductors working. Very strong upper body and core so i want to ditch my chair as much as i can. Im also 6'3' so i wanna be tall again.
          You need AFO's if you can bend your knees and have that much strength. Where are you doing your rehab? Did they not offer AFO's to you as part of your rehab?

I am T12 and have walked full time for 23 years with a cane and AFO's.

It is doable but you have to have physical therapy and the right brace.

Here are mine:
          /forum/showthread.php?t=206751&highlight=braces
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

try it. those you put a link to probably wont help you though. see a physiatrist. The physiatrist will send you to a local brace maker or gait lab if it is possible you can balance, lift, and move a leg forward. If you are a complete injury, standing braces are good if only to keep your bones strong. You need to have the braces made for you though so the fit is just right to prevent sores, and so they conform to your balance needs.

Comment

darkeye- Do you wear those afos on both feet. I have a Ritchie Brace that has a hinge. Are yours fixed.

Fillauer also has a dynamic afo. Anyone know anything about those? I have been thinking of trying something new. My brace allows for movement which is nice because it allows my calf to stay tone. But maybe there are better ones.

Comment

Originally posted by MFlounlacker View Post
                darkeye- Do you wear those afos on both feet. I have a Ritchie Brace that has a hinge. Are yours fixed.

Fillauer also has a dynamic afo. Anyone know anything about those? I have been thinking of trying something new. My brace allows for movement which is nice because it allows my calf to stay tone. But maybe there are better ones.
                Yes both feet and they are fixed with no hinges. I have no ankles.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I have my right ankle. No left. Do your feet feel strange? My left foot feels weird all the time. Proprioception sucks. Does your lack of ankles cause your knee joint to be funky too? Mine is kind of weird even though the quad is stronger than on my good leg.

I am T12 inc. too. Must be more assymetric though. bad left/good right

Comment

I have a pair of KAFOs just like those. Its damn hard to get them to work right. I have moved on to AFOs on both feet, but think that I try My KAFOs on again just to see if I can do better with them now that my quads are stronger, but they weight about 5 pounds apiece, which is a lot for someone with weak legs.
                    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Yea, I use a dynamic walk AFO on my left foot and it's really, really good, but it requires a lot of balance and strength to use. It's about as minimalist as an AFO can get, and all it really does is lift up your toes whereas most other AFOs give you either lateral stability or all around stability.

If you can stand up and walk unaided, with crutches or with a cane, and do so without any bracing whatsoever, but you have limited ankle movement that leads to assymetries in your gait, then the dynamic walk will be great since it manages to replicate normal ankle motions and freedom remarkably well. However, if you rely on the rigidity of the brace to stay upright at all, this brace will do nothing to help you.

The best thing is to try before you buy. I was able to hang out at my local orthontist office and spend some time walking around with the various options available until I found something that worked for me.

Good luck!
                      L2 incomplete with a pretty bad limp since 10/31/2011.

Comment

These comments here very interesting. I had a therapist make me custom braces that were more than $6000. The damn things were so big. Weighed a ton. Smashed together at knee because that was "lockable." They wantd me walk like "Frankenstein." I just got new Breg night tme plantar braces and think UPS had weight printed on package, including box, less than 2 lbs. Stretching plantar in just 2 days has done countless things. I have muscles now working through toes and even think bowel stating.

Comment

Shveddy- I can walk unaided with no afo. The afo makes it much easier and safer. My Ritchie brace doesnt really do much more than lift (dorsi-flex) my foot either. It provides for a little stabilization but really not much. I saw a video of someone running with the Fillauer. So obviously I want one. Ha!

Comment

I have my right ankle. No left. Do your feet feel strange? My left foot feels weird all the time. Proprioception sucks. Does your lack of ankles cause your knee joint to be funky too? Mine is kind of weird even though the quad is stronger than on my good leg.

I am T12 inc. too. Must be more assymetric though. bad left/good right
                            Strange is an understatement. I feel pressure and tingling/burning but nothing else. If I am pin pricked, I get increased burning but I can't tell you exactly where I am touched but I know it is my foot.

My knee joints hyper extend sometimes or lock for a better word but I try not to let that happen. My left is stronger than my right. I used to be able to twitch my left foot but after a surgery in 93, I can't do that anymore.

My balance is off so I have static AFO's. Veddy explained it well. I did try other braces but I could not walk without the ankle support.

Comment

Working...
                            X