Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Which one would you recommend to gain strength and muscle for someone with SCI?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

You will make more gains, and maintain those gains better with a 3X weekly schedule, with rest days in between.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      You will make more gains, and maintain those gains better with a 3X weekly schedule, with rest days in between.

(KLD)
      I'm curious to know what you're basing this on, especially without any particular knowledge of his routine or physical abilities.

Comment

Based on my experience and knowledge of exercise physiology...and nearly 40 years of working in the rehab field.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by mj23 View Post
          Which one would you recommend to gain strength and muscle for someone with SCI?
          Mj, what does your routine look like currently? What are your goals? Do you have any deficits? I saw from your profile you are a walking quad, can you grip? Do you have pretty 'normal' leg function?

Comment

Based on my experience and knowledge of exercise physiology...and nearly 40 years of working in the rehab field.

(KLD)
            I think you're a terrific resource on here KLD, but IMO it seems nearly negligent to recommend and exercise schedule without knowing any particulars of the patient. You don't know anything about this person. Would you recommend a rehab program for someone without knowing a single thing about them? From what I recall about my rehab there were a significant number of evaluative tests before a program was even developed...

Now I may not 'know' better, but I think that we need to figure out a few baselines first... 3 times a week is pretty standard exercise program, but 1,2,3,4,5,6 or even 7 might be optimal...

Comment

I think that resistance training is the only way to build muscle. Lower reps and higher weights. However, there is so much more that goes into training following SCI. Balance and dexterity are huge and without them all the strength in the world won't help you.

I work on my strength twice a week and work on balance and endurance at least 2 or 3 days a week.

I usually do 20 minutes of cardio prior to weight training (stationary bike or eliptical) and attempt to keep my weight training exercises moving in order to keep my heart rate elevated during my entire work out as well.

I do yoga style balance exercises, crutch hike hills, or ride my bike other days and try to allow for least one day of solid rest a week. It would depend how active you are in regular life. I try to stay on my feet most days as much as I can, so I do need to be conscious to give my body a rest.

I have not left assistive devices behind yet so you are way ahead of me. I plan to one day though. After being told I would never walk again, I will take what I can get right now.

Comment

Originally posted by cripwalk View Post
                I think you're a terrific resource on here KLD, but IMO it seems nearly negligent to recommend and exercise schedule without knowing any particulars of the patient. You don't know anything about this person. Would you recommend a rehab program for someone without knowing a single thing about them? From what I recall about my rehab there were a significant number of evaluative tests before a program was even developed...

Now I may not 'know' better, but I think that we need to figure out a few baselines first... 3 times a week is pretty standard exercise program, but 1,2,3,4,5,6 or even 7 might be optimal...
                Uh, sorry. If your goal is to gain strength and muscle mass weight training one day then taking the next day off is pretty standard. When I was AB I would train on a 4 day 1 day off cycle (back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/abs, legs) but I lifted for years. Given that this person asked such a basic question KLD's answer is the answer anyone would give.

Comment

mj..I workout 5 days/week. 2 hr/day weights. 2 hr/day walking. I keep adding to that. It did not start like that. In addition I have a dog and take care of my house myself. You NEED to keep your mental thoughts parallel with your physical ability or you will get pissed very fast. May need to start at a minisclue amount simply becasue physical not capable, but keep at it and it should keep improving.

Comment

Originally posted by cripwalk View Post
                    You don't know anything about this person.
                    And how would YOU know that?? I have corresponded with this member many times, and read most of his posts since he joined in 2005. You have posted here 36 times and been a member for 2 months. Not a big track record to go on.

(KLD)

Comment

Well, let's see you're a walker too. Everything, everyday, all day. Really, I started out barely getting across the room, than around the room, outside, and beyond. I've turned everything I do into a workout of sorts, walk a little farther, move a little more, lift a bit more. Pretty soon it's like "why can't I be normal again?" If you turn everything into an easy workout, you don't get tired, stay focused, get inspired to do that "just one more thing" that makes it all worthwhile. It's easier, more natural, and helps build up a flow of things that can be worked on/out. I don't think it's how hard, but how much, that's what helps build and maintain the core, and endurance you sound like you're looking for. You know what you want, I think I know what you want. It's up to you to figure it out, set the goals and achieve it.

If you saw the size of my calfs in that burn pic, you would think I work out. They are enormous, I don't work out, not with weights, or machines at all, it's just the way I use my body. I've got a tremendous amount of endurance and core strength now, I didn't when I first came home from the hospital 9 years ago. 50 feet was 50 miles for the old me, it took a few years and I never thought I'd be able to do what I do now. And that includes catching fire and not feeling it, but, don't go there. I've got my sights set a bit high, but that's me, where have you set yours? Go from there. Try to take a natural course of what you want to achieve and it's a lot easier. All it takes is time, unfortunately a lot more than it did for the old you and me.

Comment

(KLD)
                        lol...your initial answer was plausible, sensible and does speak of experience.

The fatuous remark quoted speaks, oddly, of arrogance and yet it also betrays a sense insecurity.
                        "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

And how would YOU know that?? I have corresponded with this member many times, and read most of his posts since he joined in 2005. You have posted here 36 times and been a member for 2 months. Not a big track record to go on.

(KLD)
                          Exactly why I asked him specific questions about his current abilities, routine etc.

Comment

Originally posted by WahWah View Post
                            lol...your initial answer was plausible, sensible and does speak of experience.

The fatuous remark quoted speaks, oddly, of arrogance and yet it also betrays a sense insecurity.
                            I have years of actual training under my belt with results. I don't think any qualified person would ever have such a specific answer without wanting to know more about the situation first. If KLD knows this person's routine already and knows his/her results and goals then her advice is probably fine. I personally would like to know more before suggesting that anything. If you think that's arrogant that's fine. If you think that's insecurity you're entitled to believe that too. I am simply offering my expertise to help mj.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                              Uh, sorry. If your goal is to gain strength and muscle mass weight training one day then taking the next day off is pretty standard. When I was AB I would train on a 4 day 1 day off cycle (back/bis, chest/tris, shoulders/abs, legs) but I lifted for years. Given that this person asked such a basic question KLD's answer is the answer anyone would give.
                              There is a saying: there is no such thing as over training, there is only under eating. I personally prescribe a lower volume program but what works for me may not work for mj.

Comment

Working...
                              X