Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working out once, twice or 3 times a week when you have a SCI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cripwalk View Post
    I have years of actual training under my belt with results. I don't think any qualified person would ever have such a specific answer without wanting to know more about the situation first. If KLD knows this person's routine already and knows his/her results and goals then her advice is probably fine. I personally would like to know more before suggesting that anything. If you think that's arrogant that's fine. If you think that's insecurity you're entitled to believe that too. I am simply offering my expertise to help mj.

HUH...? What have I missed?. I was quoting SCINURSE...I'm lost now!
    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

Mj, what does your routine look like currently? What are your goals? Do you have any deficits? I saw from your profile you are a walking quad, can you grip? Do you have pretty 'normal' leg function?
      Ya my grip is about 3/5. I currentluy work out twice a week each muscle., legs, arms, etc. My goal is to gain size and strength.
      C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Comment

Originally posted by mj23 View Post
        Ya my grip is about 3/5. I currentluy work out twice a week each muscle., legs, arms, etc. My goal is to gain size and strength.
        What exercises do you do currently? Are you currently seeing strength increases on your current routine? Do you have time constraints or concerns (ie job, family, etc.) and do you feel like you could do more? How much sleep do you get on average?

Depending on your abilities it would probably be best to stick mostly to compound movements.

Both strength and size are also highly dependent on dietary habits as well but the type of routine you do also has an influence.

Comment

Originally posted by WahWah View Post
          HUH...? What have I missed?. I was quoting SCINURSE...I'm lost now!
          I thought you were suggesting I was being arrogant and insecure and I was responding to that, perhaps I misunderstood!

Comment

YOU SAID IT!!!!! You not kidding! This is EXACTLY what you need to do and you sure as hell better keep your brain thinking this way. Things start to happen you are not even looking for. I 2ND YOUR COMMENT!

Originally posted by alhavel View Post
            Well, let's see you're a walker too. Everything, everyday, all day. Really, I started out barely getting across the room, than around the room, outside, and beyond. I've turned everything I do into a workout of sorts, walk a little farther, move a little more, lift a bit more. Pretty soon it's like "why can't I be normal again?" If you turn everything into an easy workout, you don't get tired, stay focused, get inspired to do that "just one more thing" that makes it all worthwhile. It's easier, more natural, and helps build up a flow of things that can be worked on/out. I don't think it's how hard, but how much, that's what helps build and maintain the core, and endurance you sound like you're looking for. You know what you want, I think I know what you want. It's up to you to figure it out, set the goals and achieve it.

If you saw the size of my calfs in that burn pic, you would think I work out. They are enormous, I don't work out, not with weights, or machines at all, it's just the way I use my body. I've got a tremendous amount of endurance and core strength now, I didn't when I first came home from the hospital 9 years ago. 50 feet was 50 miles for the old me, it took a few years and I never thought I'd be able to do what I do now. And that includes catching fire and not feeling it, but, don't go there. I've got my sights set a bit high, but that's me, where have you set yours? Go from there. Try to take a natural course of what you want to achieve and it's a lot easier. All it takes is time, unfortunately a lot more than it did for the old you and me.

Comment

There is a saying: there is no such thing as over training, there is only under eating. I personally prescribe a lower volume program but what works for me may not work for mj.
              Sure thing captian america. Even the pro bodybuilders who eat 10,000 calories a day and shoot horse steroids in their ass take days off between muscle groups to let them recover. What you tear down you have to let build up.

Comment

I go to a pretty good gym. I'm told most people working on strength, train 3x a week.
                I myself don't train for size because my balance is bad, huge muscles would only make me top heavy. I like what Al said, I look at life as a challenge and always make things more physical than I need to. (bonus exercise). Drive on.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                  Sure thing captian america. Even the pro bodybuilders who eat 10,000 calories a day and shoot horse steroids in their ass take days off between muscle groups to let them recover. What you tear down you have to let build up.
                  Thank you for your input.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=no+suc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I am Canadian by the way.

Comment

Oh crip, no way I wasn't responding to you no, no!

I meant the response from sci nurse saying she had 40 years experience in rehabbing people. Just after someone said they found her snap diagnoses of a guys exercise program a bit presumptuous. She responded with the above "40 years experience spiel" I found THAT a little arrogant.

Not you crip, no way, sorry mate!

It's this bloody "quoting" thing in the forums that can even get taken out of context....that or my dumbnessness.
                    "The problem with self improvement is knowing when to quit." "Diamond" David Lee Roth.

Comment

If you can work out every day without rest you aren't lifting heavily enough, but like you said.. canadian

Thank you for your input.

http://www.google.ca/search?q=no+suc...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I am Canadian by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by WahWah View Post
                        Oh crip, no way I wasn't responding to you no, no!

I meant the response from sci nurse saying she had 40 years experience in rehabbing people. Just after someone said they found her snap diagnoses of a guys exercise program a bit presumptuous. She responded with the above "40 years experience spiel" I found THAT a little arrogant.

Not you crip, no way, sorry mate!

It's this bloody "quoting" thing in the forums that can even get taken out of context....that or my dumbnessness.
                        No worries man! If KLD had said from the get go 'I know this person's ability, goals etc. and I have a lot of experience' I wouldn't have said anything at all, I just found it a bit suspect that there was some arbitrary definitive answer she had based on what seemed to me very little relevant information... I think we are of the same mind...

Also, not really trying to offend anyone, just trying to give my honest help. Take it for what it's worth I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
                          If you can work out every day without rest you aren't lifting heavily enough, but like you said.. canadian
                          I think that's probably true, but true overtaining is quite rare, most people AREN'T lifting hard enough to achieve that. Especially a completely untrained individual.

Like I said, I subscribe to a relatively low volume program but more than one way to skin a cat...

Comment

Have you ever skinned at cat?

Comment

When I'm on a regular schedule I work out 5 days straight with one off day. But I target different groups each day and never the same group twice in a row.

Comment

I kind of agree that we with SCI would have a hard time over training. Most AB's are on their feet all day. Then they might hit the gym 3 times a week and that would certainly suffice given their level of activity during the day.

We are not on our feet all day. Our legs get no where near as much regular use. Therefore we can spend more time working them in the gym.

I try to stay on my feet as much as I can and haven't used my wheelchair for 3 months. I now have to keep over training in mind but rarely approach that threshold. Prior to leaving the wheelchair I trained 5 days a week at least and pushed it very hard. Since I wasn't using my legs to walk and get around I was able to really work them much more often.

I also like to get my exercise in forms other than work outs. knee surfing, hiking, throwing the lacrosse ball with my kids. I think what I ma doing is working well with my recovery while at the same time works well with my life and work schedule. There is no one size fits all model.

Comment

Working...
                                X