Standing frame - How long do you stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing frame - How long do you stand?

I just took delivery of a used EasyStand Evolv. I tried out a stander at PT gym a few years ago (all went well) but other than that I have not done any standing in, let's see, 29 years.

I would be interested to learn from the regulars what their standing frame regimen is. How many days/week? How many minutes/session?

Thanks.
    stephen@bike-on.com

Did you previously get cleared for standing with your physician (by having Xrays and/or DEXA scans for your tibias and femurs)???

We recommend an hour daily, but some do more.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Did you previously get cleared for standing with your physician (by having Xrays and/or DEXA scans for your tibias and femurs)???

We recommend an hour daily, but some do more.

(KLD)
      Had a recent DEXA but only of the lower spine and hip (not ideal, I know). I'm osteoporotic but no more so than I have been since I got my first scan back 12 years ago, which is probably as osteoporotic as I've been for at least 25 years. No recent X-rays, but I ride an FES bike regularly without issue. I have no prior history of fractures.

I wasn't planning on doing an hour daily; more like 30 minutes.

Should I build up to being fully upright or just go for it? I did a few minutes today just to get acclimated to the experience. No blood pressure issues.
      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Assuming your bones are up to it, I would recommend working up to an hour at a time. I like to stand for at least one hour. It seems to have the most benefit in stretching and reduced spasms if I stay up a full hour.

Something to keep in mind is to check your feet afterwards. Make sure you have good fitting shoes so you don't get any skin problems on your feet.

I love the way it makes my legs feel. Enjoy!

Comment

I am in my stander anywhere between 1-2 hours. Depends on whats good on tv.

Comment

Depends if I fall asleep while standing or not otherwise usually around an hour. I workout with rubberbands and cords while standing to help make the time pass faster.

Comment

I pealed enough apples for two pies in my stander last night, all so do my computer stuff on the stander, like typing this. Go slow and work your way up to more time, theres no hurry after all. And make sure you check your knees, there is a lot of presure on them.
              T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

I received this email last night from my SCI doc:
                Standing is one of the few ways I know of that can potentially improve bone density therefore I would encourage it. I wouldn't worry too much about your degree of osteoporosis as it is expected to be low and there are no guidelines as to how low is too low to stand. The one modifiable risk factor you have is vitamin D deficiency (11 back in July), which if not done already, needs body store replacement with high doses. Not being vit D deficient is the best thing you can do in order to help prevent future fractures.

I've been taking 4,000IUs of Vit. D2 for some time but apparently it's not nearly enough. Unfortunately, getting more sunlight exposure is not a realistic option for me. I am going to explore the option of taking prescription Vit. D.
                stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Don't rely on sunlight. Increase Vitamin D ( blood level checked if low you will need alot more - can be 50,000 units (presstion 3-7 x a week depending on how low) & Calcium.
                  Standing frame we start 15-20 minutes once a dya and go up from there.
                  CWO
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Many years ago, my Dr tol me that I would need to stand for 2 to 3 hrs to get real benefeit and since I have retired I do 3 a day. Work on computer, watch TV, read etc. Time passes real quickly. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by ffindley View Post
                      Many years ago, my Dr tol me that I would need to stand for 2 to 3 hrs to get real benefeit and since I have retired I do 3 a day. Work on computer, watch TV, read etc. Time passes real quickly. Good luck!
                      I won't have 3 hours a day to devote to standing and if I did I think I would get either restless, bored or both, so a tip of my hat to you for your dedication and perseverance. Do you break up the 3 hours or do you do one continuous session?
                      stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

I was under the impression standing for bone density was not effective unless standing on a vibrating plate. Iirc, there was a link around here to a study about this. I like standing for the stretching, personally, but haven't done it in a while. I started to fidget and get uncomfortable (painful!) after ~15-20 minutes. Sensory sparring isn't always a blessing!
                        "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                          Thanks for the responses.

I received this email last night from my SCI doc:
                          Standing is one of the few ways I know of that can potentially improve bone density therefore I would encourage it. I wouldn't worry too much about your degree of osteoporosis as it is expected to be low and there are no guidelines as to how low is too low to stand. The one modifiable risk factor you have is vitamin D deficiency (11 back in July), which if not done already, needs body store replacement with high doses. Not being vit D deficient is the best thing you can do in order to help prevent future fractures.

I've been taking 4,000IUs of Vit. D2 for some time but apparently it's not nearly enough. Unfortunately, getting more sunlight exposure is not a realistic option for me. I am going to explore the option of taking prescription Vit. D.
                          I take 50,000IUs a mnth. Need to get my levels checked again as it's been over a year. Rx vit D did bring my levels way up, like a 40 pt difference.

Weird that some physiatrists still claim that standing improves bone density. I had to correct my doctor on that one. She stated FES wouldn't do as much as standing . The opposite is true as we know (standing does nothing for bones, FES has been found to increase bone density though). She probably thinks I'm a know it all.
                          Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Originally posted by november View Post
                            I take 50,000IUs a mnth. Need to get my levels checked again as it's been over a year. Rx vit D did bring my levels way up, like a 40 pt difference.

Weird that some physiatrists still claim that standing improves bone density. I had to correct my doctor on that one. She stated FES wouldn't do as much as standing . The opposite is true as we know (standing does nothing for bones, FES has been found to increase bone density though). She probably thinks I'm a know it all.
                            Nov, break down how you take the 50,000 IUs. Daily? Weekly? Are you taking supplements or the Rx version?

I, too, was surprised to hear my SCI doc mention bone density improvement from passive standing. That's not my reason for starting a standing regimen, though. I'm doing it for the stretch, pressure relief, and the novelty. Also, I think there's some psychological benefit to my young son seeing me standing even if it's sandwiched between pieces of foam. And at 5' 9" I'm the tallest in my (short) family, and it's good to not let them forget that.
                            stephen@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by stephen212 View Post
                              I just took delivery of a used EasyStand Evolv. I tried out a stander at PT gym a few years ago (all went well) but other than that I have not done any standing in, let's see, 29 years.

I would be interested to learn from the regulars what their standing frame regimen is. How many days/week? How many minutes/session?

Thanks.
                              depends. i stand everyday basically sometime 15 min sometimes an hour. 24 yrs standing.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com
                              c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                              sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Working...
                              X