Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I do to prevent shoulder damage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I do to prevent shoulder damage?

I want to preserve my shoulders. I workout a lot and play basketball. Pice my shoulders after exercise and basketball. What else can I do?
    Never Give Up!

Click on the "Save our Shoulders" link below and it will take you to a manual on preserving shoulder function.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

ive found staying fit, very active and isolating those muscles when lifting is key. stronger they are the more the can take . keep your protein high and keep your testosterone levels up. joint supps help too
      Bike-on.com rep
      John@bike-on.com
      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
        keep your protein high and keep your testosterone levels up.
        The lady-wheelers among us may grow beards, but dammit, they will have the best shoulders the world has ever seen! :P

Comment

Maintain good range of motion. Really strenuous exercise of any kind, will take a toll. fuentejps and I will disagree on this point I suspect.
          Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            ive found staying fit, very active and isolating those muscles when lifting is key.

Yes.

Take vitamins and make sure you eat balanced protien for amino acids (fish, eggs, soy, red meats). Stretch every day (which is what I'm really bad at).

Yes, STRENUOUS exercise will take its toll. There's a difference between normal, healthy activity and stressing your ligaments and joints. But even if you work out with heavy weights, proper form and diet will go a long way to keeping you fit.

Or you could stay inside all day. That'd really preserve your shoulders. But where's the fun in that?

penis

Comment

You need to work your opposing muscles. Also focus on rotator cuff and the little muscles surrounding.
              Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

I agree with the above points, a good healthy diet, maintaining your range of motion, watching your weight and moderate exercise that maintains your strength for transfers. Our shoulders go through enough overuse with pushing chairs and transfers you don't want to push your limits with over exercise. You need to watch your transfers especially in and out of cars, pulling your chair in and out. This does a number on your shoulders over time! I made the switch to a van with a 6 way power seat and it is the best thing I ever did to save my shoulders.

Comment

Make sure your hands and forearms are strong... Helps takes strain off shoulders during exercise and transfers

Comment

Focus on strengthening the opposing muscles as well as postural muscles (back extensors, scapular stabilizers i.e. rhomboids,subscapularus, etc.)

Eric Harness, CSCS
                    Founder/President
                    Neuro Ex, Inc
                    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Comment

Originally posted by GinoL View Post
                      Our shoulders go through enough overuse with pushing chairs and transfers you don't want to push your limits with over exercise.
                      So u r not in favour of the 10km/day I wheel 7 days a week May thru Oct?

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post
                        I did that working the last 20 years of my career. During the 10 years since then, I have a fulltime career treating the pain caused by rotator cuffs now made of scar tissue and shoulder joints that look like they had been used for target practice. At least you have been warned. I only have the benefit of hind sight.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RJC View Post
                          Believe me when I say this, you WILL pay dearly later in life for that, just like 55 says!

Comment

http://www.pva.org/site/c.ajIRK9NJLc...blications.htm

Preservation of Upper Limb Function following spinal cord injury: What you should know

Click on the hyperlink of the above title --> then add to cart
                            It is free but they ask for a donation.

we hand it out to our patients in our clinic.

pbr
                            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

As a para I feel that pushing never hurt me, I did 15 years of wheelchair roadracing w some wchair bball followed by 7 years of handcycling. I think I would have been more vulnerable to shoulder injuries from weight gain had I not done strenuous exercise. My injuries have always occurred due to big transfers. At 67 I now use a Transfermaster bed, a roll-in-shower w shower bench and a full sized van w 6 way pwr seats all w the idea of preserving what's left of my shoulders. I try to do gravity transfers whenever I can and a transfer board. Recently bought a used pwr chair for super long pushing activities like unpaved trails in our local parks, also use a Freewheel. In the winter (mainly) I use an old Bowflex as well as light free weights. Regarding exercise, try to include some that work opposing muscles from those overused while pushing.

Comment

Working...
                              X