When exactly do you know when you've gotten on with life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When exactly do you know when you've gotten on with life

Is it when you go back to school? Or if you're single, back to dating? Or when you get used to retirement? Or when you go back to work? Or when you wake up in the morning, and do not say, damn I'm paralyzed?
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Perhaps it's when you get up in the morning and find yourself looking forward to the day.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

Maybe when you have more happy days than miserable ones.

Comment

When it's no longer a question that comes to mind.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish Old View Post
          When it's no longer a question that comes to mind.
          That was my thought too!

Comment

Maybe it is when you stop waiting for your post SCI life to randomly change and actually go out and force change. This is much easier said than done.

Early on post SCI, I set very aggressive goals for myself. Each time I met one of my goals, I think I convinced myself that I had risen that much further above my SCI and I believe that I did.

However, I don't believe that you ever totally move on. The best that you can do is minimize its impact on your life. It's always waiting to come back and take over your if you let it. Life with a SCI is a marathon.

Comment

For me, it wasn't so much a particular event, but going back to work was pretty important. Instead, it was the day that I asked myself, "If you don't ever get any better, can you live a good life with what you've got?"....and answered myself, "yes".

Comment

Good question. When?

I'm not trying to be a smart-a, but am curious how other get on with life too. I go to bed every night planning, that tomorrow, I'LL GET ON WITH MY LIFE, but it never fails, something, out of my control, gets in my way ...but every night, I still make my "get it on" list and make the best of what I "get on".

T
                Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
                — Marianne Williamson

Comment

@Charlotte
                  If you live near Nashville there is a waterski clinic in 2 weeks. Another in July and August. PM me if you want info.
                  If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

i dont think its something you can actually pin point down to one thing, it happens gradually, without thinking about "did my life change today".
                    For me life was all about therapy for 4-5 yrs..then i visited voc rehab., and that started the change..planned to get my van so i could drive, go to school, then back to work..it took 2 yrs for the process of the van, and to start driving. ...school was supposed to start in april, was cancelled due to not enough enrolled in the course(medical coding)...august is new start date, but i will not be going..i was presented an opportunity....im getting 25% ownership in a gas station w/convenience store plus salary to manage it!! with plans to purchase a 2nd in 24 months.....so its been a 3 yr gradual change but now i can say my life has changed for sure...lots of freedom with driving, and now an unexpected opportunity at serious financial growth....
                    - Rolling Thru Life -

Comment

I know the feeling. I am 5 years into this stuff and back at work part time. But I still struggle it seems everyday. I keep telling myself things like this should all be easy but when you are in constant pain it seems to engulf you. By the end of every day I just want to lay down and die but the pain never stops and the ringing in my ears keeps me awake. Working has helped because it forces me to act normal and do my job. But even so when my shift ends I head home and lay down. I guess you learn to live with it but it seems to be very tough road. I got about 4 hours sleep last night. So yay it sucks. I have been taking hydrocone that does seem to give a bit of relief.

Comment

I got on with life very quickly but I have realized lately that I got on with life because I go to n with my kids life. They needed me to be driving and going to their sporting events. They needed me to show them there was a world outside of this small town and to see me volunteering and workingand to know not to let anything stop you.
                        Lately I have been realizing that I may crash and burn when they are grown. For a little while anyway. It's a bit scary.
                        If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I got on with life the second I awoke from a 10 day coma.
                          What else is there to do?
                          I'd say most people here have gotten on with life, at least here on the "exercise" forum - this is the only part of the site I'm interested in unless I'm having some wierd health issue.
                          How can you not get on with life? You can't stop the clock - it's "getting on" regardless of what you or anyone else does.
                          I just went down the grand canyon and was it I or the guy who is legally blind who were unhappy? Fuck no! It was some person who was finding fault with everything but was totally AB but evidently with some crossed wires. The dude going blind (tunnel vision, no periferal (SP?)....) smiled so much we told him he was going to sunburn his teeth!

"Don't feel sorry for youself - only assholes do that"
                          - Huraki Murakami

I think all of us are kicking ass, good job everyone! - Steve.
                          Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

I am still improving so that is something to be hopeful about and I am 3.5 years post fusion and the injury itself is 5 years old. I had a least 2 years that were horrible beyond words. So you do move forward even if it is at a snails pace.

Comment

Well, howdy neighbor!!!

The clinic sounds like great fun, thank you! However, skiing would pull my arms right off of my body!!! I have an able armed friend they may be interested though. I'll PM you and pass the info to her.

My getting on with life sounds a lot like yours... keeping up with the family and kids, but I'm not complaining. My frustrations come from a project I was working on before my injury that I haven't been able to get back to. One of these days!

In the meantime, hope everyone is gettin it on!!!
                              T

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
                              @Charlotte
                              If you live near Nashville there is a waterski clinic in 2 weeks. Another in July and August. PM me if you want info.
                              Incomplete, SCI, T1-T8, w/ Arachnoid Cyst. Bilateral shoulder surgeries, 2 on the left, 3 on the right, right forearm surgery for a crushed radial nerve.

"We can always choose to perceive things differently. We can focus on what's wrong in our life, or we can focus on what's right."
                              — Marianne Williamson

Comment

Working...
                              X