Robbie pedaled a bike on his own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robbie pedaled a bike on his own!

I'm looking for some input on this. For the past 2 years Rob has been working out with a trainer 2x week. He does weight lifting, standing, FES, pull ups...you name it, he does it. One thing hes done regularly is a stationary bike. We strap him on the bike and sit on either side of him and move his legs. Yesterday while doing this exercise I felt his legs kick in, at first I didnt know what was happening, Rob said it was spasms. I looked at his trainer and said "are you pushing harder on your side" he said no, then he asked me "what are you doing over there, why are his legs going so fast" Well we both let go and Rob continued to pedal....for a very long time. We started timing him and got some video. He pedaled for 12 minutes on his own!!! It was not smooth at all, his legs were jerky and he was shifting his weight some but it certainly seemed like he was voluntarily pedaling. Rob is just as confused as we are. Could something be connecting???

Was he using his hips in a different way? My husband uses the stationary bike at his gym (SCI-FIT). He couldn't do much at first either-had to have the trainer move legs for him, but now he has some hip control back (he's a T4 "complete"), so he can pedal the bike for fairly long periods on his own. For him, though, it's not his legs doing the work (though his trainers have felt his legs start "firing" during different exercises). That being said, no matter what the change was that occurred, it's a good thing. Something new is happening, and that's always worth celebrating!

Comment

Thanks for your input, just what I was looking for. Robbie is also a T4 complete... although I have always thought he was "incomplete". We heard different stories on this early on, he has patches of sensation here and there...

It really didnt seem like it was his hips doing this work, the way I felt his legs kick in, they really took off!

I agree, this is something new and I am excited about it!!

Comment

Wonderful news. Hope Rob keeps doing more of the same.

Comment

This is marvelous!!
          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Thats awesome news IMO I am a T5 and have been using the FES bike as much as I can. I just hope I can post the same sometime in the future.

Comment

Very exciting news Sharon!

Comment

here is a piece of the video from Rob pedaling at the gym....

Comment

I don't see the video
                  www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

Comment

Excellent news!
                    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

This might explain what's happening. I found it some years back
                      http://digital.films.com/play/SZ5LRK#

in the playlist, click on "moving memories"
                      Do a site search for CPG, Wise has many threads about it.

i used an e-stim bike heavy for seven years and my legs would do that after I would go to bed. Nothing ever came of it tho. Hope your son can benefit and continue to make progress.
                      Last edited by DIGGER; 4 Jun 2012, 12:15 AM.
                      DIGG.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin83 View Post
                        I don't see the video

I cant get that darn video to post, will keep trying. I want you all to see it and share your thoughts...I'm so confused!

Comment

Originally posted by DIGGER View Post
                          This might explain what's happening. I found it some years back
                          http://digital.films.com/play/SZ5LRK#

in the playlist, click on "moving memories"
                          Do a site search for CPG, Wise has many threads about it.

i used an e-stim bike heavy for seven years and my legs would do that after I would go to bed. Nothing ever came of it tho. Hope your son can benefit and continue to make progress.
                          wow, this is really helpful. thank you!!!

Comment

Exciting News!

Comment

Thanks for the good news Sharon, we're excited for you!

Comment

Working...
                              X