Any after 18 months post, return story's anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any after 18 months post, return story's anyone

Well here I am, at 17 months post. Its hard for me to believe that after next month, my long slow return will stop. My rehab Doc. told me I would get most of what my return in the first six months. Well that really messed with my head, and was totally wrong. Started getting most of my return at 7 months on. Its been slow, but steady ever since.
    Gluts started at 7 months
    Hamstrings started at 8 months
    Abductors started at 11 months
    Next part of Hamstrings at 12 months
    Gluteus Minimus started at 15 months
    Next part of gluts at 16 months
    Slow skin feeling continuously increasing, and can feel inside better.
    Nothing below knees.
    I'm not talking about making muscles stronger, but return of nerves to muscles. This includes the next node, in the muscle, because that is return as well.
    Anyway, someone out there, must have gotten a little bit back after 18 months.
    Maybe working out all the time is helping, can't hurt. Who knows?
    Last edited by flying; 26 May 2012, 2:17 PM.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Not sure where you got the 18 months number, but currently it is much more likely that return will continue for AT LEAST 24 months post injury for those who are incomplete. Keep in mind that well-known survivors like Christopher Reeve had return documented as long as 10 years post injury.

Don't give up hope based on arbitrary numbers associated with duration of injury...but don't pin all your hopes and happiness on it either. Use what you have, maximize what you get back, but move on with life.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
      Not sure where you got the 18 months number, but currently it is much more likely that return will continue for AT LEAST 24 months post injury for those who are incomplete. Keep in mind that well-known survivors like Christopher Reeve had return documented as long as 10 years post injury.
      (KLD)
      Thanks for the response. I got the 18 month number from the rehab doc. and my surgeon. Going to see the surgeon in a month, an would love to show him some other peoples response to his 18 month theory. Also have seen it repeated many times on the CCC.
      T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Comment

It's 9 years post for me and as an inc c6/7 who skis and handbikes often, I get new feelings/return everyday! That's 9 years, not 9 months!

Pat

Comment

Buddy of mine 18 years post got back triceps when he started pushing a racing chair. Maybe there should be a new saying, instead of use it or lose it, use it and find it.

Comment

Bfd, +1!

Comment

flying

Check out our website/client stories, we see new return all the time...

Project Walk

Keep going after it, you never know what you will get back!

Eric Harness, CSCS
              Founder/President
              Neuro Ex, Inc
              Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Comment

flying
                C4/5 Icomkplete just past 20 months. Feeling like you. I have been told 80% of what you get comes in the first 24 months. I am a strong believer that if you try to move it and work the nerve triggers that good things will happen. Keep at it.

Comment

If so it was definately less, little things but nothing huge, like slowly getting feeling in numb areas.
                  As other nerves turned on bad ones turned on too like ones that cause spasms and nerve pain.
                  All you can do is work hard & hope for the best.
                  Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

I continue to get some slight but helpful return even after 5 years. If I don't use it...sometimes I do start to lose it.
                    2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

i am a c5 c6 complete and 7 yrs post injury i had to change the way i transfer due to an injury and after transferring the new way for a few yrs i started getting tricept back in my left arm.

i know you can get return back but you have to work hard.

Comment

Working...
                      X